My PS3 ISO games running from an external HDD randomly hang for a second or not even that

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Windows_10_User, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Windows_10_User
    OP

Windows_10_User GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    My PS3 ISO games running from an external HDD randomly hang for a second or not even that and then return to normal. This happens sometimes. I didn't have this problem before when playing the games on the JB format (I converted them to ISO afterwards) and on the internal HDD (now I'm playing them on an external HDD). Also, I think the loading times are taking more time, at least sometimes. I've yet to play PSN and disk games after having this issue but they worked fine before converting the JB games to ISO and when playing them on the internal HDD. I'm on the latest Rebug and multiMAN versions. Most of my PS3 ISOs are split and my drive is formatted as FAT32. Probably this problem has to do with split PS3 ISOs but since I can't do multiple PKG installs via multiMAN on a NTFS drive on multiMAN I'm using a FAT32 partition to do it.

I'm using multiMAN because no matter what I do webMAN MOD and sMAN always freeze my PS3 and I don't know if I can do multiple PKG installs via irisMAN on a NTFS drive and I'm not used to mess with it (irisMAN). At the time I'm using a 1 TB external HDD. What if I buy a 2 TB external HDD and create two partitions on it, one (FAT32) to install the PKG and other (NTFS) to store the PS3 ISOs? The first one could have 10 GB and the other the rest. Assuming this circunvents the multiple PKG install problem on multiMAN, what would I have to do for multiMAN to recognize both partitions, then? Also, I used Defraggler to defrag the drive and it took a lot of time finish the task but now it states the external HDD is 53% fragmented when before it stated it was 27% fragmented (Windows 10's defrag tool keeps saying it's 0% fragmented)! Is it normal? I found some guys complaining about it on the internet. Some of them even stated the avalable space was reduced after the defrag so it might be my case too (I don't remember how much free space I had).

EDIT: Another thing, while playing a game my PS3 froze for some seconds and afterwards restarted without leaving an alert. The PS3 is doing a lot of noise (I don't know how to open it to clean the dust and apply the thermal paste) so maybe it has something to do with that but if so I thought it would leave an alert (or it would make some beep sounds) about the PS3 overheating or so before restarting.

After the PS3 restarted I had an error message seconds after trying to play the mounted game so I had to mount it again to be able to play it and I don't remember when but there was a time the game was very slow including on a cutscene where the sound was out of sync.

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Aug 27, 2019
  2. DarknessPlay3r

DarknessPlay3r Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2019
    Canada
    I'm going to say using an external HDD is where the slow down/hangs are coming from. Chances are the external is going into a power save/sleep mode or it's just a shitty controller for the usb end of things. The difference in drives could also be an issue as your previous internal drive probably had better specs then your current external.

There's a lot of things here that can contribute to this (USB, file format [ISO/JB] drive specs ect) and due to that it's only sometimes I'm leaning towards it just being the external drive enclosure/hdd its using. Partition formats don't make a noticeable difference that could cause this.

Also windows defrag tool isn't ideal outside of windows, but I'll skip the technical end of that.

As for the random reboot, if it starts to do it more often then look into what can repeatedly cause it but otherwise it's probably just a cfw glitch which does happen even if it's rare for the most part.

Windows_10_User likes this.
  3. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    I didn't swap my internal HDD (I don't even know how to do it and I wanted to do it) and I used Defraggler on the external HDD, not Windows 10's defrag tool. My PS3 is doing a lot of noise but I don't how how to open it to clean the dust and apply the thermal paste. What about webMAN MOD and sMAN always freezing my PS3? May it have to do with the internal HDD? I wanted to replace my internal HDD by a 1.5 TB one and my 1 TB external HDD by two 2 TB external ones (it looks like I'd have problems if I had an external 4 TB external HDD or a more than 1.5 TB internal HDD).

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Aug 27, 2019
  4. DarknessPlay3r

DarknessPlay3r Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2019
    Canada
    Yeah I think the PS3 has an internal storage limit of 2tb and I think the highest drive it can work with is under 4tb? Would need to do some digging to confirm that, it's been a while since I did mine.
    What's the serial number on your ps3? The noise could be related however it could also just be a coincidence.

Just for the sake of ruling it out, does webMAN MOD/sMAN crash/freeze when you don't have an external drive connected? If it works with out then it's having issues with that enclosure. It's kind of a long shot but a good starting point.
    Now if that doesn't change anything try different releases of webMAN and sMAN, it's possible the versions you're using are at the root of that problem.

And last but not least, the multiple package issue leaves me thinking again that it has something to do with the external drive being used. If possible try a usb flash drive and try smaller size packages and see if that helps. I keep re-reading your original post and all of the issues leave me thinking the problems are all due to the external drive and it's enclosure...

I'm almost 100% certain that the your external isn't able to keep up with the rest of the PS3 and it's stuck waiting for the external to provide the data it needs.

Most external drives are meant to be used as storage (ex. Backing up pictures/videos/documents) so they come with a controller (the chip that does the communications from the drive to the usb) that isn't ideal for running steady streams of data from (some have a dedicated power supply others rely on a second usb cable to power them)

The HDD inside the enclosure is also going to follow the same line of design. They get a smaller cache, slower read/writes and random/sequential performance as it's not necessary if your just moving files back and forth.

Now your 2.5" drive that you had for your PS3's internal storage has some major benefits. Right off the bat you ditching a man in the middle and going from the drive right to the PS3's own storage controller. It's got it's own dedicated power supply, so none of this power saving bullshit we have no use of in this case. But most importantly, your probably working with a higher performing drive that has a bigger cache, better read/write times and much better random/sequential performance.

If you can get me the make and model of your external drive and I'll be able to rule some stuff out.

Windows_10_User likes this.
  5. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    The internal storage limit is 1.5 TB according to what was I said to me. What do you mean with the serial model? My model is CECH-2004B. It freezes regardless if I have the external HDD connected or not but even if it didn't freeze without the external HDD being connected how would I play the games? I already tried doing that, as well as uninstalling them (webMAN MOD and sMAN) and deleting its remaining folders, updating Rebug, restoring PS3's default settings and formatting the PS3 on the XMB. It didn't work. I already tried different USB sticks and packages and I has the same problem.

Would I have this problem if I used this external HDD as my internal HDD? My external HDD is a WD Elements 1042. I know this is off-topic but sometimes (it's rare) during a game's loading my PSP 3000's screen goes black and I have no other choice but to take out the battery because I can't turn the PSP off. I have 6.61 Pro-C Infinity installed.

EDIT: I just noticed the game where I'm supposedly having lag (although I think I also had lag in other games whose ISO were splited) wasn't splited (it's also an ISO) because it's below 4 GB. Is it normal to have lag when the ISO is below 4 GB or that doesn't matter since I have other ISOs which are above 4 GB and are splited (nor to mention that I have other files and folders)? Maybe this isn't lag, after all.

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Aug 28, 2019
  6. DarknessPlay3r

DarknessPlay3r Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2019
    Canada
    If it's a single game then I would say it's having issues fetching the data it needs. It *could* be that the ISO files are split, however I'm not sure just how much of a performance hit (if any) that makes for.

7. Windows_10_User
    OP

Dec 31, 2018
    Portugal
    Well, I think I also had this problem in other games (and the ISOs were split).

Last edited by Windows_10_User, Aug 28, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted