Hacking My PS3 is a CECHA01, OFW 4.83. Can I softmod it to CFW? If so, how?

LoganJones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently downloaded OFW 4.83 last year, because I thought I would NEVER want to use CFW. Unfortunately, I changed my mind and now I find myself at a bit of a lack of information as to how to mod my PS3. There are so many things I want to with my modded system: Play specific video formats like .MKV; watch region-locked DVDs and Blu-rays; play backups of games and emulators, and MORE! The main thing I desire to do is play the elusive "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game" on my modded PS3. I just don't know if my PS3 is capable of installing the CFW. Again, my PS3 is a CECHA01, OFW 4.83. Is my PS3 capable of being softmodded? If so, what must I do to install the latest CFW?

Thanks!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
4.83 cannot be hacked without an hardmod - however the newer (and therefore updateable to) 4.84/82 hybrid firmware can, so you might want to update to that (via USB or any memory card that can fit under the flap), then using the PS3Xploit Flash Writer (the NAND version since your console is so, either the USB or HDD variety at your leisure), then installing a 4.84 CFW of your choice

LoganJones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I copied the 4.84 HFW file to a USB and then I tried to select to update to it via "storage media" but my PS3 responded by saying that "no applicable update data was found." I tried it via an SD card and still the same problem. Was I to do something to the PUP and the empty folder before I put it in my PS3? I don't know what to do! (Both my SD card are FAT32 formatted.)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Like any update, it must be renamed to /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP (and it must be on a FAT32 and MBR drive - check compatibility by creating a MUSIC folder and putting an mp3 in it, then trying to play it from the xmb)

Don't be afrait of checking the psx-place forums for more information (for example it's a good idea to install the 4.84/82 twice in a row, this is called dehashing, due to an implementation detail of the PS3)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: +1