Gaming My Portal 2 won't work

danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
As the topic title says, my copy of Portal 2 is not working and i was hoping that you would be able to let me know what i am doing wrong.

I have a legit copy of the game on my steam account that i bought as part of the potato sack. After the first loading screen to start the single player campaign, the game crashes. I have tried verifying the game data, removing all anti-piracy software on my computer, including stopping the firewall, and have run the game as an administrator, even all of those things at once and still no results.

I really really hope you guys will be able to help me as i am really really desperate. I can't believe i bought the game and it won't work.

Thank you for your fast and helpful replies,
DanWeb

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
danweb said:
As the topic title says, my copy of Portal 2 is not working and i was hoping that you would be able to let me know what i am doing wrong.
Just want to get some additional info - it might let some1 else figure out your problem

- I'm guessing you're using either Windows Vista or Win7. If so is it 32-bit or 64-bit ??
- Have you got 'latest drivers' for video card etc ??
- Do you get any error messages ??

I'll also guess you've already gone through the typical Steam fault pages like
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=5688-IFHZ-2170 and https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=7169-TIAV-5361

danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
Portal 1 ran fine for me. Perfect even.

From the system button on the control panel classic view:

Dell Diamention DXP051
IntelÂ
Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 1.50 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extention

Running:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Every single piece of software is legal and official. If i am missing any system information please let me know where i can find it so i can let you know what they are.

Thank you so much
DanWeb

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
DeadLocked said:
Sir-Fritz said:
Post your specs, portal 2 isnt very demanding at all. Have you tried lowering video settings?
Speak for yourself, portal 1 ran on highest settings perfectly on my laptop but with portal 2 it struggles on lowest...
I get like 3x the fps then i got in portal 1 and the game looks better.

danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
CannonFoddr said:
danweb said:
Just want to get some additional info - it might let some1 else figure out your problem

- I'm guessing you're using either Windows Vista or Win7. If so is it 32-bit or 64-bit ??
- Have you got 'latest drivers' for video card etc ??
- Do you get any error messages ??

I'll also guess you've already gone through the typical Steam fault pages like
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=5688-IFHZ-2170 and https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article...=7169-TIAV-5361

No error messages, Windows XP, i haven't gone through the first of the two links, going through that now.

Seyiji

Rawr :3
Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
Graphics Card?

You know what why not just run Speccy and post a screenshot
biggrin.gif

danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
Seyiji said:
Graphics Card?

Not sure if this is what you want but i have an ATI RADEON X600 (0x5B62) listen as the Chip Type in the Display section of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. My XP is also 32 bit and the device name is listed as RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory

Seyiji

Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
danweb said:
Seyiji said:
Graphics Card?

Not sure if this is what you want but i have an ATI RADEON X600 (0x5B62) listen as the Chip Type in the Display section of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. My XP is also 32 bit and the device name is listed as RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory
According to google that gpu is like 6-7 years old :\

Have you tried updating the graphics card drivers?

Just for shits and giggles mind you not that it will do much good if that card is that old
tongue.gif

You may want to look into changing the -dxlevel

CODE
Right-click on Portal 2
Go to Properties > General > Set launch options...
Type in -dxlevel 81
Click OK.
Try launching the game

Also the minimum gpu requirements for Portal 2 is a Radeon x800 so...

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sorry - thought you might have Vista/Win7 since you said 'ran as administrator'

Anyway, To see if your PC is capable of running Portal2 - may I suggest popping over to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ & running the test to see if you're able to run it (I can't seem to find the specs for your PC)

It should be able to tell you (if anything) that might be a problem, & what the minimum specs are required to run the game... I don't know but I think 256M MIGHT be a little low

danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
CannonFoddr said:

Anyway, To see if your PC is capable of running Portal2 - may I suggest popping over to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ & running the test to see if you're able to run it (I can't seem to find the specs for your PC)

It should be able to tell you (if anything) that might be a problem, & what the minimum specs are required to run the game... I don't know but I think 256M MIGHT be a little low

that website won't tell me. I click the button and it goes to another page but then just sends me back to the start without any answer. Thank you for all your help. I am off to bed now and will hopefully see you again tomorrow morning

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Seyiji said:
danweb said:
Seyiji said:
Graphics Card?

According to google that gpu is like 6-7 years old :\

Have you tried updating the graphics card drivers?

Just for shits and giggles mind you not that it will do much good if that card is that old
tongue.gif

You may want to look into changing the -dxlevel

CODE
Right-click on Portal 2
Go to Properties > General > Set launch options...
Type in -dxlevel 81
Click OK.
Try launching the game

Also the minimum gpu requirements for Portal 2 is a Radeon x800 so...
Why would portal 2 support anything lower then dx9 when l4d1/2/alienswarm are 9 only.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sir-Fritz said:
Why would portal 2 support anything lower then dx9 when l4d1/2/alienswarm are 9 only.
It doesn't. They dropped DX8 support because it was slowing down DX9 mode performance and simple because it was old.

Seyiji

Trophies
Website
www.rage3d.com
XP
Country
United States
danweb said:
dasgtadf-174.JPG
How is that?

Edit: Gah, the image won't appear look here instead: http://www.imageuploading.net/image/dasgtadf-174.JPG

I haven't tries updating any drivers. I did have a look but i couldn't find any at all. Do you know where i could find an updated driver?Legacy Drivers (aka the last drivers for your Graphics Card) are located here --> http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wind...deonaiw_xp.aspx

QUOTE(Sir-Fritz @ Apr 26 2011, 08:15 AM) Why would portal 2 support anything lower then dx9 when l4d1/2/alienswarm are 9 only.
Hmm I wasn't aware that Valve dropped support for older DirectX versions in the newer engine
unsure.gif
I don't own either of the Left4Dead games and I never play AlienSwarm so sorry about that
shy.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
danweb said:
CannonFoddr said:
that website won't tell me. I click the button and it goes to another page but then just sends me back to the start without any answer.
Hmm - Sorry about that.
I was in work when I posted last & it worked there (was using IE7)

What browser were you using - When I got home I tried Firefox & it seems as though that has trouble with that site, but tried it again with IE8 & it worked

Anyway this is what MY results turned out to be
Minimum
CPU
Minimum: 3.0 GHz Pentium 4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or Athlon 64 X2 (or higher)
You Have: Intel Core?2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz

CPU Speed
Minimum: 3.0 GHz Pentium 4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or Athlon 64 X2 (or higher)
You Have: 2.7 GHz

RAM
Minimum: 1 GB XP / 2 GB Vista & 7
You Have: 2.0 GB

OS
Minimum: Windows 7 / Vista / XP / 2000
You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Video Card
Minimum: Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 2.0b
(ATI Radeon X800 or higher / NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or higher / Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher).

You Have: GeForce 8800 GTS

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
...................................Required You Have
Video RAM 128 MB 769.0 MB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 2.0 3.0
Vertex Shader version 2.0 3.0

Free Disk Space
Minimum: At least 7.6 GB of Space
You Have: 152.7 GB
As was said before, the MINIMUM graphics card is an ATI Radeon x800 & you said you've got a X600 so I would guess THAT is your problem

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
CannonFoddr said:
danweb said:
CannonFoddr said:
that website won't tell me. I click the button and it goes to another page but then just sends me back to the start without any answer.
Hmm - Sorry about that.
I was in work when I posted last & it worked there (was using IE7)

What browser were you using - When I got home I tried Firefox & it seems as though that has trouble with that site, but tried it again with IE8 & it worked

Anyway this is what MY results turned out to be
Minimum
CPU
You Have: Intel® Core?2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz

CPU Speed
You Have: 2.7 GHz

RAM
Minimum: 1 GB XP / 2 GB Vista & 7
You Have: 2.0 GB

OS
Minimum: Windows 7 / Vista / XP / 2000
You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Video Card
Minimum: Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 2.0b
(ATI Radeon X800 or higher / NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or higher / Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher).

You Have: GeForce 8800 GTS

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
...................................Required You Have
Video RAM 128 MB 769.0 MB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 2.0 3.0
Vertex Shader version 2.0 3.0

Free Disk Space
Minimum: At least 7.6 GB of Space
You Have: 152.7 GB
As was said before, the MINIMUM graphics card is an ATI Radeon x800 & you said you've got a X600 so I would guess THAT is your problem

You do know it tells you all that at the bottom of Steam's store page for Portal 2 right?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I know that & you know that - but did OP know that ??

All I'm suggesting is that he checks his system out & see where it 'fails' on (if anywhere) & that should give him a good idea where he should upgrade.

If he fails only on the graphics card - he can just go out & buy a new suitable card - however IF the whole PC fails then his best bet is a new PC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.