Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My hammy (referred to as she or her from now on) ran off to behind the fridge, while a cage top was open.
(It's a near-spherical cage where the top opens up. She likes people-watching -that'd be me?- when I leave the top open, but she never really escaped before.)

I had to throw 3 hammy treats to lure her out, just to find out she was a dust and hair magnet back in there.
So my girlfriend and I decided to bath her... We usually don't bath our hammy because she REALLY hates getting wet, and we could see that she gets very stressed. As soon as we dipped(?) her, she started.. um.. crapping her pants..?

After 5-6 poops she was pretty wet except her face and ears (Supposedly it's very dangerous to have water in hammy's ears just like most other pets)
We towel dried her and now she's sleeping like a baby. Hope she doesn't catch a cold.

Oh, by the way if you happen to be in a similar situation, don't throw your baits too far. I had to pull out 3 human hair out of her mouth while bathing her.
I can't imagine chewing human hair would be good for hammies so...

Well I'm happy to get her back safe. I learned quite a bit on bathing hammies today.

- Bath in shallow water. If your hammy has to "swim", that can lead to tiring out and in worst case, drowning. Yes, hammies puffing air in their mouth and floating around may look funny but that's actually life and death situation for almost all breeds of hammies. Not recommended for people 4 and older.

- Soap may be too strong for hammies' skin. I actually diluted some hand soap in water without knowing that. I washed her up with clean water so don't think she'll develop a skin trouble, but should have been more careful. Because of girbil shampoos out there I thought I should use soap but apparently not.

- You can blow dry, but keep 1m (a bit over 3 feet) distance and use medium heat if available. Do it with hot air or too close, your hammy will toast. You could also use a dry paper towel, toss it in the cage and let it rub against it.

P.S. It was such a horrifying sight. The moment I dipped my hammy in water, I could almost hear her screaming. The sense of fear was written all over her face, then radiated to fill the entire bathroom. I was like holy crap if I get this on tape it's like the horror movie of the year. I'm exaggerating a bit but still..

P.S.2. My hammy is about 14 months old, and I've bathed it only twice. If I see her coated with dust again, it's gonna give me heart attack.

P.S.3. Now it almost feels like I should have posted this on blogging space, but I don't use the blog feature =/

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you
biggrin.gif

I was quite glad she didn't run outside, but I'm pretty ticked about her running off on her own =P

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Um... you should have read how to clean your hamster before attempting it...

It's been a while since I owned a Hamster, but IIRC, the only time you needed to put them in warm water was if they decided it was cold enough to hibernate.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
deathfisaro said:
P.S. It was such a horrifying sight. The moment I dipped my hammy in water, I could almost hear her screaming. The sense of fear was written all over her face, then radiated to fill the entire bathroom. I was like holy crap if I get this on tape it's like the horror movie of the year. I'm exaggerating a bit but still..

lol my cat is like possessed by the devil when i try to bathe her, i have to wear resistant clothing or face getting ripped to pieces !

Alerek

Trophies
Website
alerek.cjb.net
XP
Country
United States
One time, back in the day, had my own named fudge.

Fudge had a really nice, huge cage, all to himself. But one day, that just wasnt enough...

He somehow got the front latch open, and jumped down (about 4 feet) off the table his cage was on. How he survived the fall is beyond me. Anyway, He managed to find the stairs to the 2nd floor, and crawled up 5 stairs, walked around on the landing, then up the remaining 15 steps. He ran into my parents room, and hid. We got home that night, my mom went upstairs, then we heard her scream. Fudge had came out and she thought it was a rat. We got him back in his cage, and he didn't get out anymore. I think the one adventure was enough for his lifetime. Little guy traversed a good portion of the house (he left evidence) before his trip upstairs.

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Great read, love them hamster stories, heheh. I own one dwarfhamster atm, one had to leave because of constant fighting. I had 2 before, those were peaceful together, with the ocassional small fuss over a peanut.

One of the 1st couple escaped once as well, climbed down on open stairways into my parents' bedroom and under their bed. Sounds too good to be true, but it happened. Hamsters have amazing escaping capabilities. BTW, alle of them were/are females, the males are supposedly more violent, but they also have those huge ugly nutsacks, like male mice have.

We're talking about dwarfhamsters or regular sized ones?

jelbohamster900.jpg

Awwww
tongue.gif

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
deathfisaro said:

lol my cat is like possessed by the devil when i try to bathe her, i have to wear resistant clothing or face getting ripped to pieces !
It's very unhealthy to bathe cats, they have some special oils on their bodies that will get washed off if you bathe them. Cats can usually clean themselves up anyhow, and so can hamster, which is why there's no need to bathe them.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Hamsters are really cute, but they aren't as cuddly as they look. I have one that looks like a cotton ball, but feels like a skeleton...

Sorry about your Hamster...
frown.gif
, but these dudes have short lifespan unfortunately.

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, it's not good to bathe hamsters. But when one gets behind a fridge and pastes insane amount of dust and hair on its body and in its mouth, it's a necessary evil...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back