Hacking My plan to update to 9.2 via cartridge - bad idea?

psvpwner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'm planning on updating my 8.1.0-19E 2DS (it was updated to 8.1 with online update previously, so it has browser) to 9.2.0E via Cooking Mama 5: Bon Appétit! (this game comes with 9.2.0E in Europe). I also have Cubic Ninja. After the update I'm planning to run Ninjhax 2.5 (because 1.1 won't work when browser version is mismatched, right?) and then proceed to use Mini Pasta CFW to install RXTools, Emunand and Menuhax. Of course I'll dump nand before I start updating anyway but I guess I won't be able to run the gateway launcher to dump NAND without a browser, right? Maybe I'll never be able to run the RXTools installer, or does that work via Menuhax?

Will this work or do is it a bad idea?

Last edited by psvpwner,

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
o3ds should use sysupdater in (rxtools devmode) or (pasta w/o firmlaunch, minipasta) to upgrade.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

cartridge update does not include network part. (8.1.0-19E) this "19" stay the same

psvpwner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
o3ds should use sysupdater in (rxtools devmode) or (pasta w/o firmlaunch, minipasta) to upgrade.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

cartridge update does not include network part. (8.1.0-19E) this "19" stay the same

Yes I am aware of this method but I don't find it very safe. There is no way to get the files by yourself anymore since 3DNUS stopped working and you have to download from websites where people uploaded the cia's for you. However I haven't been able to find a list of MD5 sums of these cia's and I don't have a hardmod so I don't feel like risking installing a bad cia (seems like a bad idea to trust a random pack without checksums really). If you know of any verified checksums for O3DS 9.2.0-20E cia's I would be very happy about them. I've also downloaded O3DS 9.2.0-20E from two different sources and the contents didn't even match! Some cias that were in one source was missing in the other and vice versa + some of the cias that were in common had different checksums! That scared me off really bad.

Last edited by psvpwner,

Pikasack

What is a title
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes I am aware of this method but I don't find it very safe. There is no way to get the files by yourself anymore since 3DNUS stopped working and you have to download from websites where people uploaded the cia's for you. However I haven't been able to find a list of MD5 sums of these cia's and I don't have a hardmod so I don't feel like risking installing a bad cia (seems like a bad idea to trust a random pack without checksums really). If you know of any verified checksums for O3DS 9.2.0-20E cia's I would be very happy about them. I've also downloaded O3DS 9.2.0-20E from two different sources and the contents didn't even match! Some cias that were in one source was missing in the other and vice versa + some of the cias that were in common had different checksums! That scared me off really bad.

Was any of them from that iso site?

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Maybe i'm newbie on this, but if he already has a browser version (as it shows .19E) and the point of devmode tutorial is to update and have the browser with the entrypoint, what is the problem with updating with cartridge? You can get a payload to run on .19

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe i'm newbie on this, but if he already has a browser version (as it shows .19E) and the point of devmode tutorial is to update and have the browser with the entrypoint, what is the problem with updating with cartridge? You can get a payload to run on .19
no, the hax needs newer title. above v19

psvpwner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

That's what I was thinking, but I'm feeling uncertain as I feel the unmatched sys version/browser version could cause problems? As the browser doesn't get updated with cartridge update.

no, the hax needs newer title. above v19

Which hax? I heard Ninjhax 2.5 will work with any browser version (but not 1.1) as long as you have at least any browser. But I'm not sure.

Last edited by psvpwner,

psvpwner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ninjhax 2.5 doesn't even need a web browser.

You could have a 9.2.0-0E and Ninjhax + PastaCFW would still work.

That sounds promising, even better than I thought. And if you look at my original post and the subsequent steps I intend to do, you don't see any problem with that? I'm mostly worried about the step where I need to launch RXTools installer as that requires Ninjhax 1.1/kernel, right? Or can I just run it via menuhax?

Last edited by psvpwner,

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds promising, even better than I thought. And if you look at my original post and the subsequent steps I intend to do, you don't see any problem with that? I'm mostly worried about the step where I need to launch RXTools installer as that requires Ninjhax 1.1/kernel, right? Or can I just run it via menuhax?

rxTools can run via Menuhax, Ninjhax 2.5 and any entrypoint that uses the 2.5 hax as long as you are in 9.2 or lower.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sysupdater just automates the process more. You can install everything using FBI if you really wanted to, it's just that you have to install all system files 1 at a time. The problem with a cartridge update is that it leaves out SEVERAL things from an online update (not just the browser), but the only reason using .cia files can be dangerous is that the FIRMS get jacked up if you're using any hax that employs firmlaunchax. For this reason, updating to 9.2 (if you have a 9.2 cart... Japan systems are screwed) via a cartridge or sky without any hax/cfw running at all is absolutely the SAFEST way to get there. You can then go through the list if .cia files from an update pack using FBI and skip the ones it says are already installed. Just delete the .cia files for native_firm, agb_firm, and twl_firm before you do it. And of course, do the cart update before installing any of the .cia files (don't go and try it backwards, or you're likely to brick trying to boot newer system files with an old kernel...)

Edit: actually, if you are able to launch a cfw right now, I'd go ahead and install the 9.2 browser first (it's not a system file, so it won't brick you. It just probably won't run with an older native_firm), then do the cart update (After a reboot, so you don't have any hax running), then you can double-check the rest of the stuff, minus the firms.

Last edited by urherenow,

psvpwner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
rxTools can run via Menuhax, Ninjhax 2.5 and any entrypoint that uses the 2.5 hax as long as you are in 9.2 or lower.

Even the RXTool installer? Is it the same file (sd:/rxTools/sys/code.bin)? I know the loader runs from Menuhax once it's installed, but the tutorials I read recommend installing RXTools via Ninjhax 1.1 for whatever reason even if you're running it from Menuhax later. Sorry for the spam but I just wanna make super sure so I don't put myself in a bad situation with my 2DS...

Sysupdater just automates the process more. You can install everything using FBI if you really wanted to, it's just that you have to install all system files 1 at a time. The problem with a cartridge update is that it leaves out SEVERAL things from an online update (not just the browser), but the only reason using .cia files can be dangerous is that the FIRMS get jacked up if you're using any hax that employs firmlaunchax. For this reason, updating to 9.2 (if you have a 9.2 cart... Japan systems are screwed) via a cartridge or sky without any hax/cfw running at all is absolutely the SAFEST way to get there. You can then go through the list if .cia files from an update pack using FBI and skip the ones it says are already installed. Just delete the .cia files for native_firm, agb_firm, and twl_firm before you do it. And of course, do the cart update before installing any of the .cia files (don't go and try it backwards, or you're likely to brick trying to boot newer system files with an old kernel...)

Edit: actually, if you are able to launch a cfw right now, I'd go ahead and install the 9.2 browser first (it's not a system file, so it won't brick you. It just probably won't run with an older native_firm), then do the cart update (After a reboot, so you don't have any hax running), then you can double-check the rest of the stuff, minus the firms.

I would actually prefer sysupdater + cia files if I can just verify the files somehow. Is there really no list of checksums or something like that anywhere? Maybe a lot of testimonies in a thread from several users (but I see how this is difficult as there are several regions, old/new 3ds packs etc). I don't have the game needed to update the console yet but I could get it cheap... But with verified cia files I would feel pretty confident.

Last edited by psvpwner,

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even the RXTool installer? Is it the same file (sd:/rxTools/sys/code.bin)? I know the loader runs from Menuhax once it's installed, but the tutorials I read recommend installing RXTools via Ninjhax 1.1 for whatever reason even if you're running it from Menuhax later. Sorry for the spam but I just wanna make super sure so I don't put myself in a bad situation with my 2DS...

There is no such thing as a rxTools installer, the files are read on the fly.

rxTools installs some data in the SD to make some advanced functions work properly and make other things run faster but is not strictly needed to run rxTools.

Code.bin is just a launcher not an installer.

Last edited by Tony_93,

psvpwner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There is no such thing as a rxTools installer, the files are read on the fly.

rxTools installs some data in the SD to make some advanced functions work properly and make other things run faster but is not strictly needed to run rxTools.

Code.bin is just a launcher not an installer.

OK, thanks.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, thanks.

I would suggest suggest to download the 9.2 pack from that iso site and use sysupdater with rxTools Dev Mode if you aren't %100 sure about what to do.

Lots of people and myself have done it several times already, there is no reason to be paranoid when the method has been proven to work...

psvpwner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I would suggest suggest to download the 9.2 pack from that iso site and use sysupdater with rxTools Dev Mode if you aren't %100 sure about what to do.

Lots of people and myself have done it several times already, there is no reason to be paranoid when the method has been proven to work...
Yeah but in your case it's not the European files, right? But yeah lots of people should've used it. I'm just saying, I don't know how that pack was compiled and even if some files are fine doesn't mean all are. But I guess sometimes you have to take some chances for the easy/cheap option (not buying the game and doing the above). I'm just really surprised that there is not an all-known md5 checksum list (is there some reason I missed?) since this is something many people would do. Checksums are often easy to find for updates for other consoles, I guess they would just be a bit inconvenient as they have to list so many files (since the update is split into tons of cia's). I know I'm being overly paranoid but then again maybe it would be a good idea to create a checksum list on some of the 3DS wikis then? I guess I could contribute if I take this chance and get a good result.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, Ninjhax does need a browser (or a way to inject a save file with the proper payload). The MINIMUM browser required is on a 3ds with a -7 (for ninjhax 1.1).

as far as a list of hashes, I don't know of one, but you can verify the names here: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list and make sure you don't have n3ds files mixed with o2ds files.

Last edited by urherenow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: