Hardware My phat xbox360 is loud af!

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I know the answer, my fan seems be running 100% a lot. If I clean my fan and redo the thermal paste, I should be in good shape? Is there anything else I should be watching for? I did this with my laptop and it runs much quieter. Also, I have leftover thermal paste.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I know the answer, my fan seems be running 100% a lot. If I clean my fan and redo the thermal paste, I should be in good shape? Is there anything else I should be watching for? I did this with my laptop and it runs much quieter. Also, I have leftover thermal paste.

in theory it should. r u using a jtag or rgh, 'cause u can adjust the fan speed or include temp thresholds. and, r u sure it's not the dvd drive making all that noise?

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's stock. I sent it to Microsoft many many moons ago for RROD. I'll listen closer to know if it's the DVD drive or the fan. I doubt the harddrive can get that loud. It's like everything is vibrating. I was halfway thinking of getting a slim or E version console for the hdmi and better harddrive compatibility. My current one will have to die first.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it sounds like it's overheating. u'll get 2 red lights with that error. I'd suggest replacing the thermal paste and cleaning the fan. the problem with the phat systems is that the cpu and gpu r kinda boxed in next to the dvd drive and a ways away from the fan.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you sent it to MS for RROD then chances are it was not a Jasper motherboard, most things pre Jasper were loud as a plane under normal conditions. It can be the DVD, not a lot you can do about that these days beyond use a ODDE. Back when there were modded firmwares that ran slower but not any more.
Usual image for identification, random copy I just found
FXZTLVGGZ6I5TTZ.LARGE.jpg

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Me RGH is loud cus I've set the fans higher but me stock Kronos model is relatively quiet.

I actually prefer to have the fans audible, atleast I know then it's getting cooled.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my 360 and ps3 r loud due to fans being set higher. I have temp thresholds for both set at 140 degrees F/60 degrees C, so the temperature never gets above that. I'm pretty sure the ps3's processors r designed to run at higher temperatures though, so I could set that one a little higher. anyway, with surround sound, u probably won't even hear them that often.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
That 360 is just a loud system really but opening it up and cleaning the dust off the boards and then cleaning the fans makes a huge difference but it's probably not going to be silent. I kinda miss repairing and cleaning 360s, use to make a lot of money doing so.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
my 360 and ps3 r loud due to fans being set higher. I have temp thresholds for both set at 140 degrees F/60 degrees C, so the temperature never gets above that. I'm pretty sure the ps3's processors r designed to run at higher temperatures though, so I could set that one a little higher. anyway, with surround sound, u probably won't even hear them that often.
Where's the temperature sensor placed though? On the CPU itself?

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I took the Xbox apart and cleaned it up real good. It's still loud. I've found out that it's the fans and it's normal. I'm looking to maybe replace the fans. I found these. Im trying to find some without lights, though.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Make sure you've clean the old thermal gunk and replaced it properly.

Talismoon fans are okayish I heard.
You could snip away the back mesh (I found that it cooled me RGH with a degree or 2, especially since there's a better airflow.
Also, cut some cardboard and slap it on the GPU heatsink, extending the duct.

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the thermal gunk is what i didnt touch. i should have, but i did get an old paint brush and wipe all the dust out. it was pretty bad. i think ill stop there. itll be a good reason to upgrade if this one dies. ive fed my audio from my tv to a bluetooth dongle. now, i cant hear the console at all and i can game all night without waking the kids.

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That thermal paste was a mess. I cleaned it up and applied new paste there. Thanks for making me delve back in there. I never opened the Xbox like that and now I know that it'll be cooling properly.

So, I had 2 red lights now after the Xbox has been on for a few minutes. I went back in and replaced the thermal paste at the CPU or GPU (I only did one before). Now it purrs like a kitten. I feel much better now. :)

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P