My PC overheated and won't start up :D

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Fel, Apr 30, 2010.

Apr 30, 2010
  1. Fel
    OP

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    I've got two PCs, and the one with older technology (Pentium 4 etc.) sometimes overheats during summer if I won't connect to it another fan. And although it's not really hot right now and it was during the evening, somehow the PC managed to overheat and automatically shut itself down. Now, usually all it takes to get it working again is to completely power it off, wait a few minutes, then power it on and just press the button. However, when even in the morning it did not start up, and I tried disconnecting all of the cables and connecting them again it meant something is wrong. It did smell much more during the overheat than normally, is perhaps the source fried and I have to buy another one?

2. melvox

Member melvox GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    If there's no LED turning on when you power it on, then it means power supply is damaged. If it's lighting up and no dislay, It could either be the memory or the video card. take them off 1 by 1 and see which part is fried. I'm no computer whiz but that's how i check my PC when something's wrong.

3. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    Oh yeah, in that case the power supply is damaged, because the little LCD display on it doesn't light up, the thing is just dead. Thanks! Now, I'll just have to get some money to buy another one [​IMG]

4. Princess Rozalin

Member Princess Rozalin †GBAtemp Official Princess Of Roses†

United States
    Im sorry about what happen to you but when i notice your Topic i was thinking why iss he smiling about his Computer overheating anyways yeah its the Power supply that may have been damage.

5. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    If you mean the smiley in my previous post, it's because I was happy I discovered what was the source of the problem thanks to melvox and I know now how to solve it. Especially because a new power supply doesn't cost much(15-50 dollars, depends which one you buy), and it might've been way worse in case something else was damaged and I would have had to buy a new PC. [​IMG]

6. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    dude don't spend 15 bucks on a PSU, you need a good one. Also just cause I had probs with it, is your videocard fan running at top speed ? Cause my newer videocard had a default fanspeed of TWENTYFIVE PERCENT which was obviously way too low

7. ZPE

Member ZPE GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Best to just put the funding towards a new PC, why bother trying to fix this problem which will invariably happen again?

8. Seicomart

Member Seicomart GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If the deck does what they want it to, why bother?

Get a nice PSU - Corsair do great ones, and a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of your fans and mobo etc.

If your budget stretches to it, maybe consider a new CPU fan, and the liquids needed to remove the old thermal grease from the chip?

Good luck!

9. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Do NOT cheap out on a PSU. I did once.

I was playing Anno 1404, working with my envoys then, SNAP crackle POP sparks fly out the back of my PSU. I was lucky the system itself wasn't hurt, I just replaced the PSU with a much higher quality one.

10. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    Don't worry, I'm not a cheapskate, it's better to buy a good PSU then having to buy a new one once again when it breaks down or even does something to the whole PC. [​IMG]

And I have two fans and the better one decreases the chances of an overheat to 0%. But because the better one is quite loud my dad switched back to the old one which overheats when the PC's really fired up (like when playing more advanced games/esp. during summer when it's hot), but it never happened before when it wasn't summer - at least I don't remember.

However because I know that it may overheat, had I known the better fan wasn't there (as I got used to the more quiet hum and forgot it's not there) I would have switched them, so fortunately I don't need to buy another new fan as I've got a good one already. [​IMG] And the reason why I won't buy another PC right now is not only because a good PC would cost at least 10 times more than a pricy PSU is because I've already got another one, with 4GB RAM, 512 MB graphic card, and 3 GHz, which runs every game with the most difficult settings smoothlessly and without any lags.

So the better one is for playing things (I'm so glad it can even manage PS2 emulator on highest details set), while the other one is for writing essays, playing old games which run on XPs but not on Vistas. And because I've got to share the PCs with my siblings, so while the two fight over the better PC, I can surf, play and do my essays/research on the "worse" PC. [​IMG] -and when I have the mood I go and play some ps2 games on the better one, because I kinda got bored of the new games, older RPGs just suit me more...- [​IMG]

11. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    This happened on my old PC, it overheated and fried my processor and my hard drive, I did love that computer. [​IMG]

12. 67birdman

Member 67birdman GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    LOL, i thought the same thing

13. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Umm, he was talking about the thread's title.

14. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    Oh, right. Well, because it's funny that it happened, in the sense that you don't laugh but think "...wow. It was on for just a few hours and it overheated, and on top of that it won't start up, while in contrary during summer overheats it never got damaged.".