My own nerdy nummies - homemade sugar cookies!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by astrangeone, Jan 3, 2013.

1. astrangeone
    OP

Member astrangeone GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    You know you are a nerd when you picked up some cookie cutters in the shape of Pokemon and Star Wars characters for use in bento. This Christmas, I made sugar cookies with them!

Warning: Spoilers inside!

The recipe if you are interested:
    Ingredients:
    - 4 cups all purpose flour
    - 1 tsp baking powder
    - 1/2 tsp salt (leave out if using salted butter)
    - 1 cup softened butter
    - 2 cups sugar
    - 2 large eggs
    - 2 tsp vanilla extract (use the gourmet stuff - the normal stuff has corn syrup in it!)

1) Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
    2) Cream (mix until incorporated) sugar and butter, add eggs and vanilla and mix 'til fluffy. Gradually add flour a little at a time, until completely finished. Divide dough in half, flattening into disks. Wrap in plastic or bags, and toss into the fridge. (Overnight is best, but an hour can be good too!)
    3) Heat oven for 350F. Roll out dough between parchment paper and cut out shapes. The thinner the shapes, the crunchier they get. (The cutting out is interesting, and you can use these cutters that have an impression plate in them for details.)
    4) Toss those cookies onto a silicone mat or cover a cookie sheet with more parchment paper. Toss the pan into the fridge for about 15 minutes for more definition and details to show up later.
    5) Bake at 350F for about 10-15 minutes and check on them if they are brown around the edges. (I actually did mine in a toaster oven - still very successful - also, they get much more brown on the bottom.)

Recipe courtesy of: yoyomax12 on youtube!

koimayeul, Veho and Devin like this.
  2. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Awesome!!

3. Latiken

Member Latiken GBATemp's Epic Fusion

United States
    This just made my night.

4. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Came in to see what these nummies were about, and I am extremely satisfied. Those look awesome.

5. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    They look great :)
    I made sugar cookies a couple of times but mine don't hold their shape that well (I think there's more butter in them) so I never experimented with cookie cutters.
    On one hand, I would like to make shaped cookies, but on the other hand, butter :unsure:

6. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Give me some sugar cookies, baby.

7. astrangeone
    OP

Canada
    These were a worry because they used extra flour, they were pretty stiff coming out of the bowl. (Also, I don't use electric equipment to mix, and it took too much damn time to do so!)

I'm going to try a recipe that doesn't involve eggs next time - just flour, butter, water and vanilla.

8. J-Machine

Member J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Canada
    those look delicious. The pikachu looks so adorable I'd never be able to eat him though.

I tend to use less flour than a recipe asks for and add corn starch for moulding purposes. I also whip my butter though to ensure optimal use.

When I'm feeling lazy though, I just grab a box of cake mix, 2 eggs, and half a cup of oil, mix it together and cook it for aboot 8-10 mins at 325F. they turn out surprisingly moist and delicious. When I did a placement at a group home, the clients loved making them too. it literally takes 20 minutes to go from nothing to eating these things.

9. astrangeone
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, I remember doing that with cake mix - I should do that at my placement this year. It's kind of fun. :)

J-Machine likes this.
  10. J-Machine

Canada
    It was the easiest perfect I ever got in my DSW program. That and it's fun like you said.

11. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Nice. My dad makes amazing sugar cookies and I remember years back we made some shaped as pokeballs. Was pretty fun and delicious. GOTTA EAT EM ALL

12. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I'm often cooking/baking cakes and biscuits.
    I even thought of making a blog about cakes recipes, with pictures (and videos?), but the blog section is not back yet.

Thanks for sharing this one :)

I'm not familiar at all with American cooking recipes.
    I don't know how big or how much a "cup" weights, and I find it strange to use "tsp" (tea spoon, right?) to weight recipes.
    In France, you don't need to weight the baking powder as they are conditioned by "Sachet" (11g = 0lb 0.38801oz), and we usually use one fully for cakes.

when doing my sand biscuits (shortbread cookies?), I don't use baking power at all, and do not put them on the fridge.
    I should try with some baking power, they might become spongier, right?

13. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I knew who made this topic before I even opened it. They look great astrangeone. LD

astrangeone likes this.
  14. J-Machine

Canada
    http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html this site should help you in measurement conversion when dealing with american recipes.

Baking is my preferred method of stress relief. not only can I take my mind off things and stave away my need to eat when stressed but when I'm done baking I have an excuse to chum it up with friends (most of them get high but since I don't do drugs I bring the munchies lol)

15. astrangeone
    OP

Canada
    I tend to use the Internet for my recipes and ideas on food, so I'm kind of used to the metric and the imperial measurements. I love cooking although, and I don't usually bake - hence why these sugar cookies are a rarity for me.

It's better to use weight for baking, as baking requires precision. (I'm lazy, and also, I don't have access to many things in the kitchen.)

What's your recipe for sand biscuits? They sound interesting.

16. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    Wow, it's almost sad to eat them to this point.. Awesome!!