My ol' EFA-Linker. It's alive! It's alive!!

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Hanafuda, Jun 18, 2010.

Jun 18, 2010
  1. Hanafuda
    OP

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    This post is more or less just to demonstrate how I'm an idiot, and how you can avoid being one too.

My EFA-Linker has always been a favorite item among all the little gizmos I've bought in the 'gray market' gaming hobby, right up there with my Adaptoid. (from my cold dead hands, heh) Anyway, the EFA cart seemed to go on the fritz about a year ago ... games would show the intro but no gameplay, sometimes the client software would freeze up while writing a game to the cart, and other failures. I put it in the desk to gather dust. But last night I was digging through the junk in the drawer and noticed that my EFA cart's USB cable had turned green inside, i.e. copper corrosion. I had to search for a while but finally found the spare cable that came with the cart, and BINGO. My EFA cart is working perfectly again. I dont know what made the inside of the original cable foul, and perhaps it'll happen to the one I'm using now ... but for now my GBA-SP2 is back in action.

I was an idiot not to have considered the cable as a cause when the cart started going bad on me. No matter what kind of GBA cart you run, if there's a cable involved make sure you take it into account if you're troubleshooting.

That is all. [​IMG]

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    It uses the same cable as the action replay DS.

Also known as usb mini type B.

3. Hanafuda
    OP

United States

good to know. thanks.

4. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    Not real familiar with GBA flash carts... How does this compare to say like an EZ Flash IV?

5. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    EFA Linker is a pure NOR flashcart. requres drivers to use.

6. Hanafuda
    OP

United States

The EZ Flash IV uses removable storage (microSD, or is it miniSD?), where the EFA is from an earlier generation of flash carts that require the roms to be written directly to the ram on the cart. The EZ FLash allows for massive storage compared to my old EFA, but with the EFA there are no load times. I'd prefer to have the EZ Flash IV, but my flashcart money has gone into DS stuff the last few years. The EFA is no longer available. Get the EZ Flash IV while you can.

7. dsdork

Newcomer dsdork Advanced Member

United States
    Is the purple one the card you are talking about? http://www.efa.cc/index-e.html
    If so, which version of the software are you using? The downloads on that site are all 404ing.

The version in downloads here seems to be a pretty old version- not that they aren't all old.

I'm thinking about resurrecting an old one for GBA on a DS phat.

Thanx.

8. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    If you have the one with RTC, you will need a different type of drivers.