Hardware Homebrew My New Nintendo 2ds XL wont boot

Shindle_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after loosing my 2ds in a closet for a year i found it and i wanted to play pokemon on it, so i charged it and all it does its flash the blue light to show it turns on then the light turns off. I have looked around the internet and have tried: updating luma3ds, updating bootstrap9, launching without the sd card, reformatting my sd card then putting it back in, launching it in recovery mode and waiting for it to die then recharge it and launch it again, all to no avail. If anyone has any ideas on what can get my game console running it would be appreciated.

EDIT: None of the things i tried worked (incase anyone reads this in the future), i just need to buy a new card.

Last edited by Shindle_,

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
after loosing my 2ds in a closet for a year i found it and i wanted to play pokemon on it, so i charged it and all it does its flash the blue light to show it turns on then the light turns off. I have looked around the internet and have tried: updating luma3ds, updating bootstrap9, launching without the sd card, reformatting my sd card then putting it back in, launching it in recovery mode and waiting for it to die then recharge it and launch it again, all to no avail. If anyone has any ideas on what can get my game console running it would be appreciated.
Do the console's speakers happen to make a popping sound when the blue light turns off?

Shindle_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a good sign at least, that means there's no hardware problems (probably). Just to clarify, you said you tried reinstalling boot9strap, does that mean you're still able to boot into Luma settings and payloads?
I don't quite understand what you mean by that, i'm assuming you mean that when i hold start/select and luma or gm9 opens? If so that's a no.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't quite understand what you mean by that, i'm assuming you mean that when i hold start/select and luma or gm9 opens? If so that's a no.
Yeah that's what I mean. If you're not booting into anything, if definitely sounds like there's an issue with your SD card then. How big is your card and how are you formatting it? Also, if you can, try a different SD card.
Post automatically merged:

Additionally, you should test the card using h2testw https://3ds.hacks.guide/h2testw-(windows)

Reactions: SylverReZ

Shindle_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's what I mean. If you're not booting into anything, if definitely sounds like there's an issue with your SD card then. How big is your card and how are you formatting it? Also, if you can, try a different SD card.

Additionally, you should test the card using h2testw (removed becuase im a new user)
it is a 64G Sandisk Ultra micro sd card i got from walmart, i used the GUIFormater from sthetix's video titled "REPLACING OR UPGRADING THE 3DS SD CARD WITHOUT LOSING ANYTHING" i cannot try another sd card because i have none and after using httestw no errors were found.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it is a 64G Sandisk Ultra micro sd card i got from walmart, i used the GUIFormater from sthetix's video titled "REPLACING OR UPGRADING THE 3DS SD CARD WITHOUT LOSING ANYTHING" i cannot try another sd card because i have none and after using httestw no errors were found.

Never use video guides FYI

Reactions: Dionicio3

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States

assuming it's FAT32 then, I suggest double checking the filenames, do you have "boot.firm" on your SD, and did you make sure to check it's not "boot.firm.firm". Make sure you have "Hide extensions for known file types" disabled in Windows Explorer. If the file names are correct, try formating using https://3ds.hacks.guide/formatting-sd-(windows).html instead of the video

Shindle_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A its the same program as the video so i think i'm fine on the formatting front (but i reformatted it anyways) and B i checked and everything is named correctly

Shindle_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here

Attachments

• image_2022-12-04_222952146.png
    image_2022-12-04_222952146.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 29

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
The program i use is kind of scuffed, sorry

h
Ok first, there is *a lot* of very unnecessary files, you should probably delete/move those files. Though, this probably won't fix your issue. Are you positive you even have boot9strap installed, and not arm9loaderhax?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok first, there is *a lot* of very unnecessary files, you should probably delete/move those files. Though, this probably won't fix your issue. Are you positive you even have boot9strap installed, and not arm9loaderhax?
I believe so, I can see a file named "arm9loaderhax.bin" on the card. Here's a guide to upgrade from A9LH to B9S: https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s.html

Shindle_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know there are a lot of random files, back when i used it i tried to get all kinds of random stuff, i planed on asking someone smarter then me on how to get rid of them without deleting a system file, and i have never even heard of arm9loaderhax so im assuming i don't have it?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That could just be there from an old a9lh to b9s install, since it's clear they don't keep their SD card clean
Would be best to organize everything into folders than having them scattered on the root of the SD, it would really help. I'm way worser with storing files on my 'Desktop' than anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol