My new 64GB SDXC currupts emunand after being filled up.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by 3dshaxnoobX, Oct 13, 2015.

1. 3dshaxnoobX
    OP

3dshaxnoobX Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Bought a 64GB SDXC to use with use with rxtools and install emunand on it. I formated the card to fat32 (32kb sectors) before installing emunand and the 3ds seems to work fine and I was able to get everything working great including running emunand off it... but then after installing transfering a few CIAs to the card the sd card errors on transfer. I put the card back into the 3ds and emunand will no longer boot (got currupted).

I've never used an SDXC card until today so I'm not sure, Did I not format the card correctly or is the card defective?

2. AlanWeird

AlanWeird GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2011
    Scotland
    Your card sounds like a fake.

if it corrupts after being filled past a certain amount, it's really a smaller size card, hacked to show a much higher capacity. Probably after 8 or 16gb.

3. 3dshaxnoobX
    OP

3dshaxnoobX Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    no, It was sold and shipped directly from amazon and came in genuine sandisk packaging...

"SanDisk Extreme SDXC UHS-I/U3 64GB Memory Card Up To 90MB/s Read (SDSDXNE-064G-GNCIN) (Newest Version)"

I've bought a few 32GB versions of the same card from the same page and they all have never had an issue.

trying to determine if the card is just bad and should be returned (it was $42) or if I just didnt format it correctly or something. I knew SDXC cards would be risky business. should have stuck with 32GB.

Last edited by 3dshaxnoobX, Oct 13, 2015
  4. qproject

qproject GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    Canada
  5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can also use h2testw. Back up the contents and make sure to let it test your whole card. Can take a few hours.

6. qproject

qproject GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    Canada
    Fakeflashtest only takes 1-2mins to run test.

7. hunter010709

hunter010709 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2015
    Windows 7 does not like some sd adapters with a card over 32 formatted to fat32. It will try to error scan on plug in, give dead duplicates on transfers and fail on reading and leave the card currupt. If you can try it with unix or xp and report back.

8. 3dshaxnoobX
    OP

3dshaxnoobX Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    welp I scanned it with fakeflashtest (thanks just the program I was looking for) and the results are not good. "duplicate or bad blocks - only 40GB usable out of 60GB"

so looks like the card is defective. I really dont want to go through the hassle of waiting for a return from amazon and hope I get a working one. Is it possible to detect the bad blocks of the sd card so i can use the working 40GB atleast?

9. qproject

qproject GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    Canada
    You should always buy memory cards from local retail chain. Ebay and Amazon are not reliable.

Zidapi likes this.
  10. michyprima

michyprima GBAtemp Regular

Feb 19, 2014
    Italy
    here amazon will send you a replacement even before you send the defective unit back
    don't they have the same policy in the US?

11. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    What hassle? Just set up a return as defective or exchange...Takes a couple of minutes.

12. TheShadowRunner

TheShadowRunner I'm like you, I have no name.

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Guess it was sold on amazon not by amazon, certainly fake.

13. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Amazon often combines cheap items in storage with sellers who use Amazon fulfillment, so nothing's guaranteed.

14. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    Sounds like a fake card. :(

15. 3dshaxnoobX
    OP

3dshaxnoobX Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    it was sold directly from amazon and not a 3rd party seller. I go out of my way to make sure Im ordering direct from amazon when ordering SD or usb drives to avoid fakes. More likely this sd card was just a general manufacturing dud and not a fake.

Also I did package it back up and going to send it to be refunded. I ordered a Ultra 64GB SDXC to replace the Extreme (defective model), perhaps the extreme speeds were too much for the 3ds to handle. The ultra version is slightly slower but $18 cheaper. First thing Im going to do when getting this new 64GB SDXC card is run it with fakeflashtest, ill be pissed if it has "bad blocks"

Last edited by 3dshaxnoobX, Oct 14, 2015
  16. tivu100

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    Did you format the card to Fat32?

Last edited by tivu100, Oct 14, 2015
  17. michyprima

michyprima GBAtemp Regular

Feb 19, 2014
    Italy
    Honestly this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard...

anyway, if I was you I would have bought a samsung or a kingston if going cheap... all sandisks I had broke even before the warranty expired lol

18. tivu100

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    My friend has one of the Sandisk Extreme Pro mSDXC 64GB, works just fine with all his 3DS, Old (through SD adapter) and New model. (I help him set up his 3DS, so I know).

What I suspect is OP got fake one by Amazon practice of combining their stock of cheap item (<$200) with third party sellers who use Amazon fulfillment program. Last year, I bought a Roku new sold and fulfilled by Amazon, yet it arrived with third party seller sticker on!

Other than that, possibility is OP forgot to format his mSDXC to FAT32!!! If that's the case, then OP may try as many times with as many different card, he may still have problem. 3DS doesn't support exFAT if I am not mistaken.

I personally had terrible luck with Kingston, and I believe Kingston's losing to Samsung and Sandisk on mSDXC due to pricing. Samsung is popular victim of counterfeit card. Check out Amazon popular reviews on Samsung mSDXC http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class...8&qid=1444850839&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+sdxc (You can see card sold & fulfilled by Amazon got mixed in with counterfeit card)

Last edited by tivu100, Oct 14, 2015