Trophies
XP
Country
France
So my 3ds won't boot since a long time and multiple things can happen on boot

W/ and without microSD:
1) blue LED power on keep 1 second then power off
2) black screen
3) the 3ds boot but instantly crashes and show weird horizontal lines on bottom and top LCD screens

without microSD
it can happen that it shows "Unable to mount CTRNAND, please use and external one"

Things i tried
change "boot.firm" to latest version and luma 7.1
going into the system to unplug and replug microsd reader and a wire that is supposed to fix black screen
if i press start, select, or go in recovery mode it don't change
change microSD
and also 1 month ago i successfully ran gm9 and put a old NAND backup of when my 3ds worked but nothing (i've tried safe and after full).

Sorry for bad english i'm french

Thanks to ppl who will reply to me

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you:
  • try a different micro-SD?
  • test your micro-SD(s) with h2testw/F3/F3X?
  • make sure the micro-SD(s) are formatted FAT32?
  • Luma3DS v7.0.5 (arm9loaderhax.bin)?
just to eliminate some causes of error.

Getting GodMode9 started would be nice to be able to do any software based troubleshooting. If you ever get it to boot again: Does the CTRNAND partition exist and – if so – are there normal files+folders in there?
drives.png CTRNAND_root.png

Also try putting GodMode9 renamed to boot.firm – maybe it boots directly.

randomname39571

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
so i tried the things and:
1 ) test my micro SDs with F3X : the app doesn't launch (it crashes instantly) so tomorrow i'll try with a windows computer
2 ) FAT32 : my micro-SDs were formatted with the exFAT format because the 2 microSDs i got have 64GB each so i tried to rename godmode9.firm to boot.firm and putting it at the root of the sd card but nothing on exFAT or FAT32
3 ) try with 2 microSDs : i've a micro sd that i bought a week ago, and a old microSD
4 ) luma3ds v7.0.5 : when i hacked my 3ds i used b9s (i hacked my 3ds a year ago)
5 ) and also my problem happened a day i was playing super mario 3d land (a cia version of a cartridge that i lose i used d9wip) and my 3ds freezed (with horizontal lines) and when i tried to re-power it on i started having these problems

Thanks KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
when trying ntrboothax it was the same thing that normal boot (i've tried a bit more than 5 times)
All I can say is: Eliminate all possible (external) causes of error.
Check your micro-SD, magnet and ntrboot cartridge by performing ntrboot on another 3DS system which is known to work.

At least for the “New” device types you can tell if ntrboot was successful even if nothing appears on the screen: When trying ntrboot while no boot.firm is present (neither on NAND nor on SD) the blue LED will stay on as long as you hold in the buttons – even if held way longer than normally. As soon as you release them the blue LED fades off.
In case there is some problem with the SD-reader, boot.firm cannot be found and this could be one possible explanation for the failed NAND restore (why the restore did not help).

Again: If you ever manage to boot GodMode9 again – by ntrboot or by normal boot via still present B9S: Have a look if the CTRNAND partition exists and if there are the normal files and folders in it.

=======
The thing with the horizontal lines could indicate a problem with the GPU – but I’m in no way an expert for that. I think it is possible that this indicates a hardware failure which requires a new mainboard.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

randomname39571

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, so for the microSD card reader it's possible because when i tried to boot the system lot of times on the 2 microSD it show an error (a sort of popup on the bottom screen) saying that the microSD can't be read
So i'm gonna buy another microSD reader
And for the ntrboothax, i don't have another 3ds but i have a ds lite so i'm gonna try the flashcard
(EDIT): the flashcard(r4i plus) work on the ds lite(as ds game mode) but not on the 3ds(as ntrboot mode)

Last edited by randomname39571,

randomname39571

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
srry for late reply it's cause the delivery was loooooooong, so now when i boot my 3ds:
without microSD:
run like if nothing ever happened (1/3 chance)
CTRNAND error (1/3)
blue light fade in then fade out (also 1/3)
While pressing start or select :
start: nothing (fade in then out)
select: ALWAYS show the luma 3ds config screen
With micro sd:
nothing (black screen with blue light)
while pressing start or select
start: black screen
select :shows the luma 3ds config

also sometimes without the microSD it starts doing the black screen thing and a fix is to lightly hit the bottom screen so it's probably a problem of the motherboard

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off