My new 3ds touchscreen display is few pixels moved to the left, is this fine?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by sc00pj0hn, Feb 1, 2017.

1. sc00pj0hn
    OP

sc00pj0hn Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2016
    Italy
    While i was trying to fix the calibration, i noticed that my touch screen display is few pixels moved on the left. This results that while i was doing the calibration, the calibration is not centred when i'm touching, for example, the upper right corner. I got my 3ds like few days ago and this has already happened. Is this normal? Is there a workaround for this?

2. EthanAddict

EthanAddict Founder of Skiddon't-ism

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    I think there is a loss on all 3dses and it is a hardware fault, so there is no workaround for this...

3. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    you have a defective product. if its under warranty take it back to the store or send it to nintendo for a replacement. if not under warranty, its fairly easy to replace the screen yourself.

4. sc00pj0hn
    OP

sc00pj0hn Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2016
    Italy
    Is that true? I never believed Nintendo did this... i feel a little bad about this and i don't think i can tell my dad about taking it to fix it. It might be a used console, probably...

5. EthanAddict

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    It is usually small, for me almost 2-3 pixels down, but I got used to it...

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    get back to the store and get a replacement...
    i had a 3ds that after a few days the touchscreen stopped working (it looked like it was permanently pressed down)
    do it quick in europe, if you get back to the store in the first 15 days you can get a direct replacement\return. after 15 days the store will sent it to repair which can leave you 1 month without the console (and risk being returned with scratches which they will blame you)

if you are in the first 15 days, and they want to send to repair, ask for a refund, and buy another one.

Last edited by migles, Feb 1, 2017
  7. sc00pj0hn
    OP

sc00pj0hn Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2016
    Italy
    Might be the same for me or less or more.

I gotten afraid to recalibrate it again because of it, but if i take it to the store, can my NAND and stuff be safe after the replacement? (I have arm9loaderhax.bin on the CTR NAND)

8. EthanAddict

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    Don't worry, you will get use to it, it is just 2 pixels...

9. Trylk248

Trylk248 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    Alright. Might not be the hardware fault here cuz i have a wii u with same problem. It happened while cleaning gamepad screen. When i use the WII U stylus it is not well calibrated. altho!!! When i use the new 3ds xl stylus all works very very well and i get a much better more accuracy on the touchscreen.

10. EthanAddict

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    D
    Do 3ds styluses have differences?!

11. Trylk248

Trylk248 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    Well, imo their more roundish at the end and they are a bit more softer with the end again. Here what makes me happy about a stylus :

Is the stylus good to be held in hands? (Size and shape)

Is the touching part too soft or too big?

How expansive is it for replacement?

And answering your question : well all nintendo styluses are made differently. Just make sure to test different ones of different systems before claiming the hardware's fault. :)

EthanAddict likes this.
  12. sc00pj0hn
    OP

sc00pj0hn Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2016
    Italy
    I thought cleaning would make things better until you said that, because i've noticed that there's lines i've left after some uses of my new 3ds' pen that came with it...

13. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    Move your 3ds to the left a little bit should work.

if you got it a few days ago you should be able to return it, or replace it.

14. sc00pj0hn
    OP

sc00pj0hn Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2016
    Italy
    I've been thinking to return it since i've told my dad about it, but a Discord friend told me that it might not accept unless i uninstalled a9lh. Is it literally possible to send it to repairs even if modified?

15. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    your gonna want to take it off if your gonna get it repaired

16. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Dealing with 2-3 pixel difference might be worth it over uninstalling A9LH

17. sc00pj0hn
    OP

sc00pj0hn Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2016
    Italy
    You're quite right, i tried playing around Pokemon Art Academy and i can atleast manage to draw a rough replica of a lesson result, even thought the upper corner on the right can get me driven off on the drawing point.
    But sometimes it gets me upset, and yet i cannot do nothing good with it :P

18. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I guess it also depends how much you actually use the touchscreen. If you are playing pokemon art academy, then of course you are going to need the touchscreen. I just cant remember a game I played that heavily required touchscreen input.