Homebrew My microSD card stopped working while downloading smash update

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
IDK what happened, but while I was downloading the update for smash (or maybe when it was just over), it said that it couldn' read properly. It worked just fine before. Does this have anything to do with my 3ds' A9LH? What do I do? My laptop doesn't recognize it either, even with multiple microsd adapters. Do I clean it? With what?

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
more interestingly, I activated the write protect switch, and it read just fine, but it became useless again once I unprotected it. Also, can I still play a physical game that uses extra data (like ultra sun) when it's write protected?

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
another update:
Managed to copy most data into another SD card, but my 3ds still doesn't read it, even though my laptop does, even with read only deactivated.
Also, I messed it up in post 1, I have sighax, not A9LH

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
seems like it's the whole 3ds, godmode 9 doesn't work on it either.
Also, I forgot to mention, it does acknowledge if read only is activated, so I doubt the reader has a problem, and my laptop does recognize the new card, so the card itself isn't a problem either. Is this some kind of softbrick?

Last edited by mehmeh11,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
seems like it's the whole 3ds, godmode 9 doesn't work on it either.
Also, I forgot to mention, it does acknowledge if read only is activated, so I doubt the reader has a problem, and my laptop does recognize the new card, so the card itself isn't a problem either. Is this some kind of softbrick?
If the card is showing write protection. It sometimes means the card is failing or is dying. You could look at trying to reformat the card with fat32 with 32k clusters to see if this may fix it. Doing that will have all data on the card be lost. Try to backup whatever you can before doing something like that.

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Sandisk happened.
Sandisk SD cards go faster, cost more, and have a much higher failure rate.
it's lexar, not sandisk
If the card is showing write protection. It sometimes means the card is failing or is dying. You could look at trying to reformat the card with fat32 with 32k clusters to see if this may fix it. Doing that will have all data on the card be lost. Try to backup whatever you can before doing something like that.
I meant that the 3ds recognizes when write protection is activated, but with the old one, it shows my custom theme for a few seconds before reverting back to the default one and showing me the error message. Also, my laptop doesn't recognize the card (it tells me the micro SD adapter is empty when it's unlocked, but I can access it just fine while locked. Also, I already backed up mostly everything (aside from 2 files in the "titles" folder, which appeared corrupted, as well as 1 in the PKSM bank folder) and transferred it into another card, but it still showed me an error message, though it might be because I had to manually create the "Nintendo 3DS" folder (+ some other subfolders), as couldn't copy it directly due to said corrupted files.

JordenNixNix

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This malfunction isn't because you did something wrong in particular.

I have experienced something similar recently.
My SD card was completely in a locked state.
It was showing as write protected, just like you.
Which means I couldn't add or delete files to the card.
I couldn't even format my SD card or using Diskpart. (Windows and Linux environment)

Out of Curiosity I also gave Decrypt9/Hourglass9 and Gateway launcher a try to format (creating emunand) the card.
It just left all the files just like before and act like nothing has happened.

I know this isn't funny to hear but, like other members already told you, your SD card is dying.

Firstly I strongly recommand you take a backup while you still can. (even emunand if you get one).
I luckily took a backup from all my files on the SD Card before, but my emunand is gone forever.

Than try to format your SD Card to FAT32.

If that fails, there isn't much you can do,
just buy a new one.

I'm sorry to disappoints you.

If your titles doesn't shown up correct on your Nintendo 3DS system, first insert your SD CARD in your Nintendo 3DS.
It will make a new folder in the Nintendo 3DS folder on your SD card.
Copy manually all your data from the folder with a long text from your Nintendo 3DS folder from your backup,
and copy it over to the folder with long text in your Nintendo 3DS folder folder on sd card. (The sub folder in the Nintendo 3DS haven't the same name, which can cause that tiles aren't shown up correctly.

Last edited by JordenNixNix,
Reactions: Quantumcat

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
This malfunction isn't because you did something wrong in particular.

I have experienced something similar recently.
My SD card was completely in a locked state.
It was showing as write protected, just like you.
Which means I couldn't add or delete files to the card.
I couldn't even format my SD card or using Diskpart. (Windows and Linux environment)

Out of Curiosity I also gave Decrypt9/Hourglass9 and Gateway launcher a try to format (creating emunand) the card.
It just left all the files just like before and act like nothing has happened.

I know this isn't funny to hear but, like other members already told you, your SD card is dying.

Firstly I strongly recommand you take a backup while you still can. (even emunand if you get one).
I luckily took a backup from all my files on the SD Card before, but my emunand is gone forever.

Than try to format your SD Card to FAT32.

If that fails, there isn't much you can do,
just buy a new one.

I'm sorry to disappoints you.

If your titles doesn't shown up correct on your Nintendo 3DS system, first insert your SD CARD in your Nintendo 3DS.
It will make a new folder in the Nintendo 3DS folder on your SD card.
Copy manually all your data from the folder with a long text from your Nintendo 3DS folder from your backup,
and copy it over to the folder with long text in your Nintendo 3DS folder folder on sd card. (The sub folder in the Nintendo 3DS haven't the same name, which can cause that tiles aren't shown up correctly.
ok, I'll try. If it doesn't work, then I guess it's a problem with my 3ds' reader (though that wouldn't explain my other card dying, unless they both got hit by something at the same problem.
EDIT: Ok, it "worked". My SD card is fine now, but my titles still don't show up, even after doing what you said
EDIT 2: Oops, I used another folder. Now it works, thanks!

Last edited by mehmeh11,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night