Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hi everyone,

long time lurker, but finally decided to register because im in a little bit of trouble here.

my DS/R4 can read my microsd card just fine, BUT

the supplied microsd to usb adapter wont read the card. windows detects usb device, but when i click the drive it says to insert disk

i cant get my PDA phone to read the card in activesync or even file explorer on the phone itself

i desperately need to get my Zelda savegame off of the card, then i will reformat the card/RMA or whatever i need to do to get the card back in working order.

it is a Kingston Japan 2gb card too.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

thanks in advance

AndreXL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
See if Windows "Computer Management > Storage> Disk Management" can identify the card when inserted.
You can format it there or even fix the partition if a virus broke it.
If not, there is nothing else I can think of.

blazin-asian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
See if Windows "Computer Management > Storage> Disk Management" can identify the card when inserted.
You can format it there or even fix the partition if a virus broke it.
If not, there is nothing else I can think of.

i guess i forgot to mention that when i insert my 2gb Sandisk microsd card it shows up right away in the usb adapter and my phone.

i find it strange that my R4 can read it fine, but nothing else can.

EDIT: i just tried the disk management method you suggested and it says NO MEDIA
cry.gif

i dread at the thought that i might lose my Mario Kart and Zelda savegame. i JUST beat it!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Try to use something like OnTrack Data Recovery or GetDataBack. Usually they can read files and save them, even if Windows doesn't recognize anything.

AndreXL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only R4 Can read it? Ok.
Ok. After boot up, click on the first icon. Press select till you says "# Files"
Only files (apart from folders) on the root should be _DS_MENU.DAT, _DS_MENU.SYS, and _DS_MSHL.DAT.
Well. Some *.NDS and *.SAV if you place your games on the root.
Delete the rest of the files on the root via the X button.

Just hoping that we get to delete any virus that disables your card from anything else apart from the R4.

Try again disk management afterwards.

GrimLord

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im thinking its the usb card reader. Mine broke along time ago I use my SD adapter and my built in card reader on my laptop. Try replacing the card reader because if anything else can read it then nothing is wrong with the micro sd card.

blazin-asian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i see:

GAMES *where i save my games*
MOONSHL
_SYSTEM_
_DS_MENU.DAT 1.34MB
_DS_MENU.SYS 4.00MB
_DS_MSHL.NDS 486.06KB

i dont think it could be my usb reader because i actually have 2 of them and they read my other Sandisk 2gb card.

im starting to get really worried. i just need 2 SAV files
frown.gif

i didnt even know it was possible to get viruses on the DS. it might even be the case because i dled some single ROMS to test them off a torrent site the other day and it was reading fine until i loaded some of those games.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Why do people assume that when something goes wrong on a computer it's caused by a virus? Just out of interest, does your phone take the MicroSD itself or do you use the full size SD card adapter in it? I'm stabbing in the dark here, but I'm wondering if the SD adapter is faulty.

blazin-asian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why do people assume that when something goes wrong on a computer it's caused by a virus? Just out of interest, does your phone take the MicroSD itself or do you use the full size SD card adapter in it? I'm stabbing in the dark here, but I'm wondering if the SD adapter is faulty.

i have an HTC Titan that takes microsd. my reasoning to why the usb adapter is not faulty is:

1. i have 2 of them and i get the same error with both
2. they both read my spare Sandisk 2gb card that i use for my DS and my other 2gb card that i use in my phone

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I meant the black card you plug the microSD into before plugging it into the USB adapter, not the USB bit itself
smile.gif
Which you've ruled out anyway because your phone doesn't use it.

So that points back to something to do with the microSD card itself. The confusing part is that it's still running fine on the R4; most sites imply a card working on one device and not others hints at a formatting issue, but the fact that the card was formatted on the PC in the first place contradicts that. I'm not going to lie to you, I'm stumped.

Your best bet is what raulpica suggested. There are PC applications that can pull files off of cards the computer can't read, but don't expect to find a free one. Most of the demos just let you look at the disk contents, but not actually copy any of it.

blazin-asian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thanks to everyone who offered their help with my issue. i guess my last resort is to seek a data recovery software that will hopefully pull my data off the card.

the more i think about this, the more i think i realize i might have to suck it up and lose my savegames. luckily, my friend copied my mariokart savegame because i unlocked all the levels so it will just be zelda that i lose.

why couldnt it have been Brain Age or something? lol

thanks again everyone.

if anyone has additional suggestions, PLEASE PLEASE let me know
smile.gif

Panic101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks to everyone who offered their help with my issue. i guess my last resort is to seek a data recovery software that will hopefully pull my data off the card.

the more i think about this, the more i think i realize i might have to suck it up and lose my savegames. luckily, my friend copied my mariokart savegame because i unlocked all the levels so it will just be zelda that i lose.

why couldnt it have been Brain Age or something? lol

thanks again everyone.

if anyone has additional suggestions, PLEASE PLEASE let me know
smile.gif

Paragon Partition Manager software might help.It includes a File Explorer, so if you can access the files from there, you can also save them.

wdjulez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think anything is wrong with the memory card.

I think its the microsd card reader that comes with the R4...

I have the same problem, inserted a brand new 2gb microsd card into the reader that comes with the R4(It came home today), and the computer would not pick up a storage device. The computer recognize that the reader is there, but no media is in it.

So, I inserted the memory card into its SD adapter and used a SD card reader that I have and it worked fine.

I guess getting a free microsd card reader for free was pretty useless lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies