My M3 + Superpass II + Lite misadventures (+hi)

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by jaxter, Jun 24, 2006.

Jun 24, 2006
  1. jaxter
    OP

Newcomer jaxter Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Yes, it's my first post...

So, I have a friend who's driving cross-country in a week with his kid, and needs a way to keep his sanity. The solution was obvious - sell him my old DS (don't worry, the price was fair), get him a flash cart, and while I'm at it, finally order one for myself - to use on a brand new DS lite.

So I ordered a couple of SD M3s off linker4u.com - and a single passme device, which was supposed to work with both the heavy and the lite - the Super Pass II (compatible, the box says, with IDS, NDS, and NDSL).

At the time, I wasn't aware that super pass is best buddies with the super card - it seemed it would work with the M3.

So: I get started working on "his" DS, manage to flash it, no problem. Then I turn to the new DS lite. O M G. The colors - suddenly the whole world except the DS screens seems washed out.

Then I stick the Super Pass II and other M3 in and turn it on. Two. White. Screens. ????

I google stuff. It seems the super pass II can't handle the DS Lite by default - *it* has to be flashed first! They have to be kidding. OK... so I find
    http://eng.supercard.cn/manual/superpass2.htm
    It's got lovely English such as "start fueling program". They hafta be kidding. You need to locate a parallel cable, and the procedure depends on which original cart you have, and you have to have one from the list? (I have like 20 original DS carts, so no prob. You can laugh if you want). The utility says the upgrade was successful.

Then I copy the two files indicated to the root of the SD card (why is there a third file with the same name? let's copy it too, to be on the safe side). I run it in GBA mode, it says SRAM was written. I push the super pass (with the game in) into the DS, flick it on and off...

Two. White. Screens. WTF?

Now, I've followed the instructions precisely, and tried twice with different original carts. Maybe it's just that some part of the process really hinges on having a super card and not an M3? That is, the super pass II can't really be updated, and so can't really be used with a Lite, unless you happen to use it together with a super card (which I don't have).

Another possibility is that even though the box says it's a super pass II, I got a super pass I? How can I tell? All I can tell about the device is that it's black.

I'd welcome any suggestions (including alternatives - if you've got a passme 2 or whatever I can borrow in the next few days, let me know - I'll buy you lunch(he said half jokingly)). My backup plan is to run around looking for wifime compatible network adapters.

And while we're at it - I had a strange thought: it's possible to download flashme from a PC using wifime. It's possible to download demos from another DS. It seems to me that it should be a simple matter (for somebody who knows about these devices - I only know PC development) to write a program that runs on a DS, and can download homebrews to other DSs. So once you're able to run homebrews on one DS, you can use it to send flashme to others - without a passme device. Does this kind of thing seem feasible? Does it exist already?

2. jaxter
    OP

Newcomer jaxter Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

3. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
  4. jaxter
    OP

Newcomer jaxter Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Thank you, but no joy yet:

3. From the M3 GBA Menu, choose "Games" then run the .gba file as you would any game. You should see a "SRAM Written" message. When you do, turn off your DS and back on again.
    4. Let the M3 save the file...

What I actually see is:

APPE-0.GBA
    Warning: GBA Save game already
    exists on this card, but autosave cannot be found.
    Backup failed. Press A to
    continue.

I'm not really sure what this means - maybe because I copied the file directly, and not using the M3 game manager?

OK, let's try again with the manager.

A little better - I can get all the way until step
    6. Choose "Write" and select the .sav file corresponding to whichever DS card you programmed the Super Pass 2 with from the Super Pass folder.

Choosing "write" lets me specify .dat files only - I hope you mean "write .sav". (of course, firmware/manager differences can account for it...)

No clue what to do now... there's four buttons (read, write, read .sav, write .sav) and the resulting .dat file I can get is 1MB - is that really the right sram.dat size?

At any rate, after copying the resulting file to the root dir and rebooting with the supercard II - I get the exact same thing as before: two white screens.

Am I doing anything wrong? Is the device malfunctioning? Did linker4u.com send me a superpass 1?

(mine's black, not blue - but that's how the box shows it, and it claims compatibility with the DS lite. A tiny sticker claims a May 2006 manufacturing date).

Sigh.

5. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    That sounds like the Super Pass 2 SE, which should work with DS Lite. However, the guide that stemmed from the time _RAW_ and I spent on this was a regular Super Pass 2. Again, I am not familiar with Supercard or Super Pass minus tidbits. Perhaps the SE version works a bit differently.

All I can suggest to you is to start back at the beginning, with programming the Super Pass 2 SE. Also, what game are you using in the Super Pass?

6. jaxter
    OP

Newcomer jaxter Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Success!

I tried the process again, this time using Ping Pals (U). The last time I used Wario Ware Touched (U), one of the first games I got for the DS.

Ironically, I bought Ping Pals for $2 (clearance) because I needed a spare case - I never expected to make use of the game itself.

Nevertheless, I'm not so sure what I did differently this time, so it can't be of much help to the next person encountering this problem.

So, thank you TheSpade, without your help I'd be calling everybody I know and asking what model wi-fi cards they have... of course, now I have the task of figuring out the best way to fill a 1GB SD card for a six year old who's basically never played any games before. Man, imagine being the kid, getting your first system - and it's a DS brimming with goodness. Even if it's not the lite (heh).

Look forward to my second thread soon, where I ask the most stupid questions about game saves.