my leafgreen looks like it has a bootleg chip (just some research)

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by migles, Oct 18, 2016.

1. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i dissembled my leaf green to find the save memory is not a mx chip like all the other ones.
    i was expecting either some MX or samsung memory however this thing doesn't even have a brand...
    this cartridge is not fake, (note the rest of the board, it's the real deal) it is european (originally from netherlands, it had a dutch box)
    all the other cartridges in the picture are american except for sapphire which is also european (i noticed that other than a different sticker, there is no difference...)

[​IMG]

if you see closely, the board of leafgreen was printed with the size of that chip into account (not sure of the others also has the "stripes" behind their chips...

i am wondering.. is this a repaired\refurbished cartridge or is one of the later cheaper production batches?
    the game is the 1.1 version btw (there exist 2 english versions)
    can soneone iddentify the brand and if this thing is actually reliable or is some chinese knock off chip?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Googling the serial number on the chip brings me to some Japanese blog of someone who also takes a look at carts, but the Google translation was too shoddy to make out anything concrete. The most I could find was that they assumed it was made from MX, but was just a later reproduction.

Other than that, I found absolutely nothing about it anywhere. I've checked some of the more popular fakes, and none of them appear to be the same as far as I can tell.

migles likes this.
  3. Kannisto

Kannisto Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2016
    Canada
    Edit. Nevermind.

Last edited by Kannisto, Oct 19, 2016
  4. tvoretz

tvoretz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2011
    United States
    I'm going with it being a later production run, and whoever made the chip was able to shrink it down to save on raw materials.

5. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    hu?

the 3 top ones are emerald saphira and ruby, they do have a battery for RTC..
    my leaf green doesn't (and didn't) have a battery.. and look at the pcb, i am sure they are all genuine..

could you explain more?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

thanks tom, i just searched on google at random and found a cart that looked like mine which this blog talks about theese being latter production
    https://chieftain20.wordpress.com/2014/05/17/complete-guide-to-authentic-gba-pokemon-games/

6. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    I was under the impression that typically bootlegs of these games try to look American. You're safer with Europe and Australia ones.

7. Melter

Melter GBAtemp Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    United States
    definitely not fake. that's just a reprint using smaller chip to save on production costs. It's probably a player's choice print of the game.

8. poipo32

poipo32 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2007
    East Timor
    Our house, in the middle of our street
    I don't remember where I stumbled on one of those before, but I can tell you that a collector was able to confirm this was a real cartridge.
    He had purchased it new and still had the box it came in.

I have also seen this type of chip on other GBA games I opened, and I can assure you those were originals.
    Also this cartridge has no usual tell of being a bootleg, one of the most damning tells is when you start the game, a bootleg will say something along the lines of "The save file can be played", whereas a real game will not say anything unless you turned it off while it was saving.