My laptops HDD died

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Costello, May 10, 2007.

May 10, 2007

My laptops HDD died by Costello at 2:32 PM (7,693 Views / 0 Likes) 39 replies

1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Wow so this is a great day for me.

As soon as I wake up first thing I learn:
    our image server was shut down by our server provider as it was being used by hackers to send spam and "phishing".
    Great.

So as I'm about to look and check the server, boom: my laptops HDD dies.
    Actually it was nothing like a boom. I was just using my pc checking my mail with firefox,
    then suddenly the PC freezes and I hear a slightly clicky noise coming from my HDD.

So I turn the PC off and guess what? it doesnt boot anymore.
    Both Fedora and XP fail during startup. XP gives me a black screen immediatly and doesnt do anything.
    Fedora displays some text then crashes when trying to access the HDD.
    I'm surprised because some files can still be read from the HDD apparently,
    small files like the multiboot loader (grub) or the system initialization sequence of windows and linux.

I also tried loading a linux liveCD but it failed because at some point it tried to access my HDD, and got stuck in an infinite error loop.

So, in short, what are my options?

2. Mehdi

Member Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

Netherlands
    its dead get a new HD. If you want to save the contents of the old HD u can buy a external case for it and connect it on your working pc/laptop. Maybe you can find something in it. Otherwise you can spend hundreds of dollars to send it over to a place where they will try and get all th econtent out for you.

3. xabier

Member xabier GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Get another one, mine also crashed while I was surfing the net, the laptop stoped and when i rebooted it, it simply won't pass from bios screen.

If you want to use a livecd, as i did till my hdd arrived you can disable de hardisk from the bios.

Good luck! laptops hdds slightly more expensive that common ones, but as we usually don't need much space on laptops it's okay with a small one, mine was 40gb and when it broke i bought 80gb for 50€

4. Costello
    OP

I cant disable my HDD in the bios... I tried
    there is barely any option my bios which kinda sucks

5. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    do the hdd freezer trick
    its like the cheap over solder trick

6. xabier

Member xabier GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    so take it out, i just had to remove 2 philips screws. Laptop still works without hdd, I recommend you sabayon linux livecd, it's very complete and everything works out of the box

7. KDH

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You Probably don't have to take it out. Some live CDs have options to ignore your hard drives (Knoppix's 'nofstab' for example). Its easier than removing the drive, plus you could try manually mounting it to see if any data is recoverable.

8. retrohead

Member retrohead GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    BartPE may work costello. Just a thought, I havn't used it much though and whether it accesses the HDD or not I'm not sure.

Good Luck [​IMG]

9. Costello
    OP

yeah I know about that, I tried it once but was never able to build an iso. Shame!

10. zone97

Member zone97 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    get one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-USB-to-IDE-SATA-AT...1QQcmdZViewItem

their cheap and work well for all drive types.. IDE,SATA,LAPTOP

then get you another drive and reinstall your system, use the above mention cable to get what you can recover off, then run all kinds of diagnostics on the old drive, or use some of the drive recovery programs out. Like partition magic, ontrack as a shareware recovery program. Pray that its not to physically damaged.. Most clicking noises are caused by the drive arm smacking against the stop bar on the drive. due to the motor trying to push it past its physical limits.

if it only clicks randomly its plausable you can get data, if its steady and repeating.. its more than likley gone.

11. pikachucrackpipe

United States
  12. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    get a new drive and reinstall, I doubt your laptop has 2 HDD bays so if you can get a friends pc connect the drive to their pc and try to extract as much as you can. Sometimes the drive will read even if it won't boot.

This is a non exact science but u may need to tilt the thing about till it begine to read problems are almost always mechanical so u can jiggle stuff into place.

Last time i had a HDD fail I attempted to open it up and then jammed some tinfoil into the reader mechanism to stop it from clicking down got about half of the stuff off before it broke completly

13. Costello
    OP

14. larvi

Member larvi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Once you get a replacement, it's definitely worth trying the freezer trick as mentioned above. I was able to salvage and copy off the data from a couple of older HD's that wouldn't spin up by doing that.

15. pikachucrackpipe

United States
  16. Costello
    OP

actually I chose this one slightly different.

pikachu: I didn't hear anything [​IMG]

Sorry mate but I haven't waited for you, I've spent the whole day trying to solve my problem. I've asked people that are a thousand times more qualified than you or me and my hdd is definitely broken. It's not about the partitions, it's not about freezing or whatever. It's a hardware problem and it can't be fixed magically. Like I said I'll work on recovering the data later, I have exams very soon (on Saturday) and it's a terrible time for me to even discuss this

17. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    ^ Your best shot [​IMG] (other than paying hundreds/thousands for professional recovery)

18. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    When my last harddrive was going I got more of a grinding noise. Luckly I managed to back it all up before it went all together. Try the freezer trick like everyone else as said, if it works put all the data on another harddrive. I've had my IBM T20 for a few years now and the harddrive is still going strong. I would recommend an IBM harddrive next time.

19. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    That HDD looks good, exams suck [​IMG]

20. GBA_Temper

Member GBA_Temper *KING OF GBATEMP*

United States
    WTF SAME THING MY LAPTOP DID went on a blue screen then when it tried to reboot the HD was making a thumping noise so my mom replaced the HD