My laptop won't recognize the HDMI connection with my second monitor (TV)

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by ComeTurismO, Apr 17, 2016.

1. ComeTurismO
    OP

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    I ordered an Amazon mini HDMI to HDMI cable; it worked perfectly on the first try--when I wanted to connect my laptop to the TV. After using it, I took it off and switched back to regular TV. Two days later, I wanted to connect my laptop to my TV; but now it's not working. I went to display settings and it does not recognize an additional display source. I'm using windows 10--what do I do? FRUSTRATED.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    "Amazon mini HDMI to HDMI cable"
    At times they can be worse than end of line, last clearance, dealextreme type gear so it could be that it is broken. especially the smaller forms of HDMI. The amazonbasics HDMI cables are lovely but the smaller ones....

Do you have another monitor you could test? Have you tried forcing it? What does it show if you have it connected during boot?

3. ComeTurismO
    OP

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    I tried on the TV upstairs; same problem. I even went to my display settings and all it says that it can't detect another screen.

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Since it's a laptop, have you tried using the function + display button? Maybe it's currently on internal screen only mode (rather than extend or duplicate mode)?

5. ComeTurismO
    OP

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    I have :(