My laptop has alot of problems.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by kjb1686, Feb 23, 2011.

Feb 23, 2011
  1. kjb1686
    OP

Member kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Okay first off my laptops usb ports died a couple weeks ago so i sent it to Toshiba the company i bought my laptop from. I recently got it back and it worked for a week then the usb ports died yet again also on top of that my hard drive refuses to boot to windows so i can assume its dieing. So i have another hard drive i put in to diagnose the problem and the hard drive says its unformatted yet it gets to the starting windows screen and then just hangs for a minute then my computer reboots. So i know the usb ports are dead yet again so i don't know what to do. I could send it back to them only for something else to go wrong and then i keep sending it to them.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    The advisable thing to do is send it back to Toshiba under warranty and complain. With a little luck, they'll send back a brand new unit and label the old one as faulty and your problems should end there. EDIT: Quick statistic: on average, 25% of all laptops (regardless of brand - even Macs) experience moderate/major problems within the first three years of purchase. Some specific laptops (like those using a GeForce 8600M or certain HP laptops) are much more liable to problems.

For the problem of restarting on the "Starting Windows" screen, it sounds like a corrupt MBR (master boot record) or one of the system files required to boot up. Reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows may help there, although there are tools to diagnose and repair the MBR (some included in the Windows install disc).

For the problem with USB, there are a few possible causes, ranging from foreign objects (dirt or hairs on the contacts) to IRQ clashes (rare) to USB controller issues (depends on the motherboard) to driver problems (common). The first step would be to uninstall the USB drivers, reboot, then let Windows fresh install the drivers automatically. If it's still not working, then it's best to take it back to the shop you got it from.

3. kjb1686
    OP

Member kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have tried to delete the drivers and reboot the first time my usb ports stopped working and that didn't help at all. I bought my laptop from newegg and didn't purchase a extended warranty from them so i had a 30 day return only. I will return it and hopefully it will remedy when i complain. I tried repairing the hard drive by booting into the windows installation disc and pressing repair and it just hung there.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    All laptops should have a 1 year warranty with the manufacturer anyway, regardless of the warranty Newegg provides. That said, I don't know anything about Newegg's customer support, so I have no idea how they deal with persisting problems.

... although I've heard that, after receiving a replacement/repaired laptop, you're entitled to an additional 30 days. Let someone else with more knowledge on the matter confirm/deny that (or just call them up yourself and complain - complaining gets a lot done if you know who to call).

5. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States