Hardware My Laptop CD Drive is gone!

pkprostudio

No
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After a while, I just realized that my laptop's CD Drive had disappear from My Computer. I tried 'Add Hardware' from Control Panel, but this is what came up:

1. I selected 'Yes, I have already connected the hardware'
2. The first thing on the list is 'QSI DVD+-RW SDW-082', I naturally selected it, since it's my CD Drive
3. The current status is shown as: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Anybody has an idea how to fix this? Thanks.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Somebody jacked your CD drive? Is that what people do instead of stereos now?

Unistall drivers in safe mode, restart into safe mode and it might work. If it doesn't, you may have to reinstall windows or get a new one.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
According to google the CD drive you have does not have it's own driver, it uses one that is built into Windows so there's something wrong with that.

Google for error code 39, Microsoft's website details a registry fix that might fix it (Method 2 if you know what you're doing, otherwise the guided help in Method 1 might be better. Assuming you're using XP, that is).

pkprostudio

No
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Guided Help won't work for me, when I downloaded it and run, it said it cannot be downloaded right now...
blink.gif

I'm not an expert with Windows stuff, so I don't think I want to try Method 2 myself...

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
do you see your cdrom drive in device manager, under cd-dvd rom drives ? if so, right click on it, delete, restart, reinstall driver.

How do I reinstall driver?

I see 'Uninstall'. Do I select it?

What I usually do when I have a driver on my computer which is acting up is to go into the 'Device Manager', right click on the driver which is causing the issue and then click uninstall. After making sure that the driver is gone from the list, I then right click and click on scan for hardware changes. That should reinstall the drivers automatically.

If you aren't very Windows savvy, go online and find the drivers for your cd drive. Just find out what brand name and model number your laptop is and you should easily be able to find the drivers on the oem support site.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended