jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't understand why people are dismissing ipods because they are "common" or "popular". I hear TVs and computers are pretty popular things nowadays too... better not buy one or you'll be another conformist!
tongue.gif

I had my first Nano 2nd gen for 6 months and despite dropping it a couple of times (once a 5ft drop onto concrete), it still worked perfectly. I wanted something a bit bigger though and got an 8GB Nano 2nd gen to which the first thing I did was get water all inside it putting on my bestskinsever skin and to date that's still working fine also.
So I mean like maybe you were unlucky your Nano copped out on you?

But anywho if you want to watch videos then it really depends if you want a hard drive based player or a flash player - personally I'm not keen on hard drive based players but if you wanted one an iPod video, Archos, Zen Vision M or W would be a good choice. As for flash based, well there are loads to choose from but the upcoming iriver W10 looks awesome (and to a lesser extent the Clix2).

smile.gif

I think a lot of people have seen so much of the ipod that its aesthetic style has become stale. I remember when ipod was released and it was the freshest, most innovative piece of tech on the market. That style has, unfortunately, become watered down over the years (for some people) as we've become accustomed to it.

I really like the design of the new iRiver stuff. Visually, I think they're the best around (more of a head-turner than any ipod) and if the memory capacity was larger I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. The w10 certainly does look like a cool bit of kit and I think that 8gb will probably be enough for me so I'll definitely be keeping my eye on that. Thanks
smile.gif

As for my decision to not go for another nano; its not based on any one reason. There's the aforementioned style-factor, then there's the matter of video playback and then there's my various negative experiences with ipods (however limited that may be). They are a good product, but there are so many others that deserve greater recognition from the more, shall we say, 'sheep-like' persons in our societies
wink.gif

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
It seems to me that you're either young, or very easily impressionable. If you're still hung up on the "iPods are too popular" thing, then you're not looking for something good, but something "hip". You have to realize, sometimes things are popular for a reason. Other times, things are popular simply because they are popular. In the case of the iPod, it's popular for the fact that it's a great product.

iPod videos are about the best thing for you, considering the support, reliability, and (amazingly enough for apple) price. The video playback is great, and you already know about the audio and menu structure.

If you're still worried about what other people think about you, look into Archos players. They're very nice, fairly well priced, and hell, they don't look that bad. The latest even has wifi support.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It seems to me that you're either young, or very easily impressionable. If you're still hung up on the "iPods are too popular" thing, then you're not looking for something good, but something "hip". You have to realize, sometimes things are popular for a reason. Other times, things are popular simply because they are popular. In the case of the iPod, it's popular for the fact that it's a great product.

iPod videos are about the best thing for you, considering the support, reliability, and (amazingly enough for apple) price. The video playback is great, and you already know about the audio and menu structure.

If you're still worried about what other people think about you, look into Archos players. They're very nice, fairly well priced, and hell, they don't look that bad. The latest even has wifi support.

I'm a very cynical 29 years old. Re-read my last post with your new-found knowledge my friend
wink.gif

I tried to make it clear that I recognize the ipod range as a quality product, I just don't think they are the best available. Zen Vision M is just as feature-packed as ipod video (at a much lower price) and iRiver's new lineup is a lot better looking IMO (I looked at the archos systems but they don't do anything for me).

**edit** iPhone is the only apple product that really grabs me

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol. Am I the only one who uses Moonshell + DSLite as my MP3 player? >_>

Heh, I went looking for an audio cable to plug my DS into my car's port. All I could find at Circuit City was an "official" ipod cord for $20. Had to go across town to a computer shop to buy the same sort of thing for $5. It works great. I don't need every song in the universe on the thing at one time.

And I catch up on tv shows with some generic headphones during my lunch breaks...

pikachucrackpipe

President
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
get another ipod
you didn't get a warranty? you have a year by default.

I took it back to the store and got a refund. I won't be getting another nano.

They're good, but ipods are very overrated (IMO). And I hate the whole 'fashion' thing that surrounds the iPod. It's so very 'Gap'
biggrin.gif

ftw
you compared a ipod to the gap
-block list-
I compared apple's ipod marketing campaign to that of the gap. Its a music player ffs, not a fashion statement!

yus786

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hehe tbh mate i bought the sandisk sansa while i had my nano, but i didnt really like it as i couldnt change the track whilst the player was in my pocket, so i sent it back!

imo the ipod nano is an awesome mp3 player, its got reliability, easy to use and very small but i like to be different and not have what everyone else has got so im going to check the clix2 out and if its any good (if i can change the tracks in my pocket lol) il keep it!

i do love my nano but i dont think il be sad to see it go hehe

i still havent got the clix2, hopefully it will come by tomorrow as i ordered it on saturday from the UK
frown.gif

regards

yus786

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Is the prospect of a Music player integrated nto a phone so farfetched that no one besides me is going to bring it up?
I love my W810 and the stock headphones that come with it are absolutely great! The megabass feature really makes some songs
I also hate the fact that you cant change tracks while the ipod is in your pocket, Nobody wants to display an ipod to thieves but if your as nitpicky as me, you would be costantly taking out your ipod to change tracks.
The only annoying thing about the W phones is that whenever you headphone plug accidentally slips, it doesnt stop the music player...instead it switches to the loud speaker. Very akward in a packed tram

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Is the prospect of a Music player integrated nto a phone so farfetched that no one besides me is going to bring it up?I love my W810 and the stock headphones that come with it are absolutely great! The megabass feature really makes some songs

I also hate the fact that you cant change tracks while the ipod is in your pocket, Nobody wants to display an ipod to thieves but if your as nitpicky as me, you would be costantly taking out your ipod to change tracks.
I have a W810i too and yes, the stock headphones are surprisingly good even when plugged into a different player (hello bass
ohmy.gif
). I wouldn't use a phone as my main MP3 player though, I'd be worried about draining the phone battery playing songs. (I always forget to charge things)

Changing tracks on touch-sensitive players = what a remote's for
smile.gif
As long as you set up a vague playlist before you go out you can skip through it (I have a Creative player so I'm thinking of Creative's "Now Playing" enqueue list thing, iPods can do on-the-fly playlists too right?).

yus786

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

i always change the tracks and adjust the volume while my ipod nano is in my pocket
blink.gif

its easy cos its heat sensitive and the buttons can easily be found whilst its in ma pocket

oh yeh on the note of using a phone as an mp3 player, i use my N95 sometimes wen i forget my nano

but always remember to use other earphones for the players ( i personally use sennheiser cx300's which are top notch for the price you can get em at)

regards

yus786

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@yus786 :
Changing tracks using the buttons isn't that good , I heard. ^^

I'm adjusting the Volume while my Nano is in my pocket.
biggrin.gif

But for track changing , I just take it out.
biggrin.gif

My Apple Earphones are broken. (That totally sucks
frown.gif
)
Also bought iPod socks. (I know I'm an nerd.
tongue.gif
)

yus786

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol apple earphones are shite mate get rid of them, wen i knew nothing about earphones i used to use them and i had about 10 pairs in a few months cos they messed up all the time

so i bought a pair of sennheisers and never looked back, they are awesome with bass and they stay in my ears and they block out all background noise!

their really cheap too mate

as for changing track its not that hard once you get used to it, i normally have my tracks on shuffle thats why i never take it out of my pocket too

regards

yus786

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
My advice: iRiver e10.... that's the best one i've ever had, and has outstaning sound quality.
Though it's just 6GB, It's great! I recommend it to a thousand percent!
biggrin.gif
wub.gif

yus786

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well ive just received my clix 2 and ive gotta say it looks awesome

small, light, awesome screen too!

put my music on it and its louder than my nano which is good, sound quality is good too.

its got awesome video, fantastic themes and animated backgrounds!

certainly got the wow factor, but i need to find a case that looks nice and protects it, and theres only a few on fleabay
frown.gif

i can change the tracks while the player is in my pocket but sometimes it *clicks* by itself when im walking so i have to put my hand in my pocket and put it on hold.

most likely keeping it but il decide after a weeks usage

hope that helps

but i can definately recommend it so far, even though ive only had it for an hour or so!

regards

yus786

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup