My internet connection keeps coming and going

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Without more details, I can't say anything difinitive. It could be anything from a bad line to your telephone exchange, to your modem/router resetting, to bad cabling/signal to your computer, to faulty networking devices, to faulty software/drivers. Any many things inbetween.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you're in India and I've never heard many good things about the reliability of the infrastructure there. So you could just be fighting windmills in this regard.

But to give you the benefit of the doubt you have to at least give us a few pieces of information

1) Connection type - DSL/cable/satellite/etc
2) Connection provider
3) How is your computer connected? Directly to the router, wifi, directly to a box the provider gives you?
4) run a speedtest.net and give us your latency and speed
5) Does congestions/dropping correlate with anything? Torrent usage, microwave usage, etc?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Since you're connecting through WiFi, chances are you just have a weak signal. Try decreasing the distance between yourself and the modem/router and checking for any obstacles in the way. The more objects (especially metal ones) the signal has to go through, the weaker it gets.

Smartpal

The Guitar Guy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Originality said:
Since you're connecting through WiFi, chances are you just have a weak signal. Try decreasing the distance between yourself and the modem/router and checking for any obstacles in the way. The more objects (especially metal ones) the signal has to go through, the weaker it gets.

No I think it's something with the router/connection cos I tried connected through a cable as well and had the same problem.
unsure.gif

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smartpal said:
Originality said:

No I think it's something with the router/connection cos I tried connected through a cable as well and had the same problem.
unsure.gif

If you're having issues wired then it's either your router or the DSL connection itself. Torrenting has a nasty habit of obliterating most consumer routers so try to either not torrent, or really throttle the settings on the number of simultaneous connections to help there.

ferdi-t

Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Smartpal said:
Originality said:

unsure.gif

If it also happens on a wired connection, then the problem is not the wifi connection.

Something I hope may be of use.

1) Do you use a modem with an integrated router, or a separate router hooked up to a modem? If so, try a wired connection without the router for testing purposes
2) Do you have the possibility of testing with another pc (or a console)? Just to rule out the possibility of your pc being the problem
3) Have you tried unhooking all cables, then restarting your modem+router (by keeping them hooked off for at least 10 seconds)? Sometimes works wonders.

If that doesn't help: could you describe where in your house (which floor, front or back of the house) you hooked up your modem to the telephone line, and where your DMARC is?

DMARC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demarcation_point

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: