GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
when i saw "Have you fallen into the infinite trap?, To many choices." , i thought i may make this topic and solve my problem and one of my friend's forever, here it is:

my main problem is RPGs, even action RPGs are not problem like Sword of Mana or Shining Soul II but my main problem is in RPGs like Final Fantasy series!

i CANT resist buying them, i REALLY cant, but when it comes to FINISHING them, i SUCK.

i searched SO HARD for Wild ARMS $ and when i got it, i went to jut 20minutes of it.

same for Final FAntasy X, i played like 5hours. (when it gots to Sphere Grid, i couldnt manage which way to go on sphere grid, so i left it).

my main problem i think is that i cant decide what to do with upgrading the statics. like when you character levels up, what to upgrade, HP, MP, etc.
i'm scared that if i upgrade my party as i like, i would fail in harder battles since mostly most of types are not balanced and you are forced to follow a category which the game was built based on (like Ninja's in FF3, i like them but a faq said they are bad, so i got pissed off)
and mainly hate to look into FAQs since i dont want to spoil the game.

could someone help plz?

silentreapr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well you can always you know.. grab a R4 >.> that would save you money.

Buut, for RPGs really it does not matter how you play them. It doesn't really matter if you put points into the wrong stats etc, or have the wrong characters. For your information, the Ninjas are actually very good with their 9999 damage throws.

If you mess up slightly, it will just make the harder battles.. harder. Nothing to it. Just train and you should be able to do it. If all else fails start again.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
you think so?
i remember playing FF VIII and when i played most of game at my way, my characters sucked so hard, i had to play all over again with a faq.
so this made me scared of using my way in RPG games.
currently at FF III and FF X and some other RPGs, i'm stuck at the point that i have to assign stats to my characters, donno what to do. the main nightmare is Sphere Grid in FF X, which is like infinite to me.
its strange, how should you know that you MUST have a white mage in your FF III party? it ruins the free play.
plz correct me if i'm wrong.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
you think so?
i remember playing FF VIII and when i played most of game at my way, my characters sucked so hard, i had to play all over again with a faq.
so this made me scared of using my way in RPG games.
currently at FF III and FF X and some other RPGs, i'm stuck at the point that i have to assign stats to my characters, donno what to do. the main nightmare is Sphere Grid in FF X, which is like infinite to me.
its strange, how should you know that you MUST have a white mage in your FF III party? it ruins the free play.
plz correct me if i'm wrong.

freed_y

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
yes, don't really depend on FAQ, because it can spoil your game...

just complete your first gameplay in RPG, try to complete everything..
if you still can't complete everything, first.. try to ask in forum.. and try completed it again

don't really care about your status upgrade in RPG, no one have exactly same status in certain RPG...
just play depend on your feeling..
don't let others ruin your choice...
if there are some review said, this job is bad... but if you can complete the game with that job, than you give yourself trial to complete the game
biggrin.gif

and you can have more fun by said "i finished this game only using xxx job that no one choose" or something like that
smile.gif

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I fricken love RPG's and especially DS ones. The best thing about them is the open-ended-ness (not a word) of them. They are awesome because they are yours, to do what you like with.

I agree on the FFIII thing. I hated the job system,

But the majority of them it dosnt matter what you choose.#

You'll never finish a game if you spend all your time wondering if you've done it right.

Trial & Error is how I play.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx, i'll merge two previous opinions.

i'll get back to my PS2 RPGs soon, so which one do u recommend i start/finish:

FF X (i played about 5hours of it)
Shadow Hearts : From the new world (played like 3hours of it)
Wild ARMS 4 (played 1hour)
Valkyrie Profile 2 (played 30mins)

Tfarcraw

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wish I could say that I've played Shadow Hearts, Valkyrie Profile or Wild Arms but the only one on your list that I have played is FFX so I can only offer this advice:

I'd say play FFX for two reasons:
1) It already has a larger time investment than the others.
2) It's a really great game with a pretty decent story. The sphere grid isn't as daunting once you get used to it and you'll find that it's still pretty linear until much later in the game when you can really unlock all the other areas of the grid for each character.

But really, the best advice would be to play the game you found the most interesting / enjoyable. You say you spent quite some time hunting down a copy of Wild Arms so maybe that should be the first one you finish....

ZzzZilla

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
For RPGs, don't think too much. I have the same problem, but if you stick to the each character's stereotype and develop them accordingly, you shouldn't have a problem.

Standard party combinations are standard for a reason.

HellShade

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In relation to FF3: Scholars are just as good, and can manage max damage before you even get Ninja. Just putting it out there.

TC: We're not talking Ragnarok Online here, just play the game as you want to or feel they should be, 99% of the time, it works. For the other 1%, go back to previous areas and grind.

Tightosp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It may just be me, but i always fall back to my FF1 party and change it up from there. Warrior, Thief, White Mage, and Black Mage. Damage + magic + healing pretty much covers all bases and if that fails.. grind, grind, grind.

Go back to FFX. The sphere grid is not that bad at all, it just looks daunting.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Messing up sphere grids is only temporary. You'll eventually fill the board anyway.

Both FF3 and 10, spending couple hours leveling deals with every single problem you will encounter.
For FF10, I always level until I can kill every monster in the area with 1 hit, my roommate frequently skips battles and takes forever in boss fights (it's not a low level run either), I spend only couple turns or minutes on boss fights. If you get Yuna and Lulu to deal max damage with melee, bosses are not bosses anymore.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx for ur reply.
let me get clear.

in FF X,i'm in Highroads, do u remember? and i'm stuck at selecting which way to go and shich spheres to select. tell me what to do, i'm really scared to select anything, one way goes to dead end, one way goes to, i donno.

does all my members need to get level up?

is rest of FFX is like when you walk two steps, you'll encounter a battle? it really irritates me (i finished FF VIII before) since i'm scared even to walk.

what level for each person you suggest before leaving this area?

i use LULU and Auron Yuna in battles with theses elemental monsters (which are mostly in this area), do u have any better idea?

BTW, Hajimemashte.

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
omg FINISH FFX!!! it has the best story ever imo!

there's a lot of hard parts though that made me stop for half a year but when i pick it up again it was soo worth it to finish it and watch the super good ending.

silentreapr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
thnx for ur reply.
let me get clear.

in FF X,i'm in Highroads, do u remember? and i'm stuck at selecting which way to go and shich spheres to select. tell me what to do, i'm really scared to select anything, one way goes to dead end, one way goes to, i donno.

Seriously, it does not matter if you make a mistake. No one, I repeat, no one plays through a RPG absolutely perfect during their first or second time playing. Unless of course they are using a guide. If you make a mistake, simply go back and redo that bit. Even if you mess up royally you can still salvage the game, if not starting again isn't bad.

I'll give you an example..

When I first purchased Diablo 2, I was an utter noob. I leveled a melee Necromancer, (which for people who don't know what I'm talking about - is like giving your White Mage in FF a sword and letting him/her become a tank). Obviously this made most of the bosses extremely hard, but in my noobish determination I just grinded a bit and persevered. I managed to beat the final boss purely by meleeing him to death with my mace.

If you're too scared to make a choice, if monster encounters (and yes, a lot of RPGs are like that - where if you walk a couple of a steps you'll encounter a monster) scare you then maybe.. you're just not suited for RPGs :/ Because as I said earlier, that's basically how most RPGs are designed. There really isn't a "correct" or "wrong" way of playing through, simply an "easy" and "hard" way. Just go with what you think is right.

ZzzZilla

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Simple tips:
- Make Lulu get a higher level spell first opposed to all spells of the same level
- If you have to keep Yuna in the party, make sure she has Pray to spam and heal the party
- Auron should learn all his Breaks first
- Wakka is great for his Status balls and against aerial.
-Titus is free-form, but I led him down Auron's path near the end.
-Rikku has only a few useful Thief skills, but her Mix limit break is tops.
- Only thing I liked about Khimari was Lancet.

As silentreapr already said, there's no such thing as a horrible mistake. In fact, there are spheres later on that allow you to teleport to different locations on the sphere grid if you feel you're barking up the wrong tree (but are really more for unlocking high level abilities near the beginning or multi-classing characters)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1