Hacking My HDD freezes after 30m in evrey game?!?!?!?!?!?&

wiihacker3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My HDD freezes after 30m in evrey game?!?!?!?!?!?!?

it is an antec- Mx-1 actively cooled hard drive enclosure with a 160gb desktop hard drive.

first i had problems getting wii games on it. i simply fixed it by going to a windows vista computer and formatting it to: exFAT and then to WBFS and games then worked on usbloader gx , wiiflow, and wii cover flow.

but....now every 30 min my hard drive enclosure starts to make wierd noises like this: tik...tik...tik...tik...tik...tik, etc............

and then freezes... any one know why?

wiihacker3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i went to the manufacturers website and the manual must be downloaded. so downloaded it and its a .pdf file and i dont know how to use it..... can some 1 tell me themselves how to fix it?? and can i fix it while wbfs is on it??? i have over 20 wii games that i dont want to loose.... so please tell me the best way to do that.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiihacker3000 said:
i went to the manufacturers website and the manual must be downloaded. so downloaded it and its a .pdf file and i dont know how to use it.....
cool story....you open it, with a pdf reader, of course.
wiihacker3000 said:
can some 1 tell me themselves how to fix it??
no, because every model of hard drive is different, and yours probably needs an app from its manufacturer to accomplish this.
wiihacker3000 said:
and can i fix it while wbfs is on it???
yes, the app you download and run will talk to the hard drive outside of the context of the file system.
QUOTE(wiihacker3000 @ Nov 16 2009, 03:54 PM) i have over 20 wii games that i dont want to loose....
indeed, no telling what they'd do out in the wild, eh?
QUOTE(wiihacker3000 @ Nov 16 2009, 03:54 PM)
so please tell me the best way to do that.
i'd read that pdf if i were you...

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are two types of tik tik tik sound

there's one that's from the hdd trying to power on, but it doesn't have enough power. so it spins, runs out of power and stops, gets a bit of power and tries spinning again, etc etc. this can happen if the enclosure is powering the drive off, causing the drive to try and get powered by the usb (may or may not happen depending on design of the enclosure pcb)

or it's the drive failing. perhaps it overheats and fails or just fails after time when it hits a particular spot.

what cios are you using? i don't have the problem first hand, but i do remember some cios's have problems with spindown and others have attempted to fix it.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
OncleJulien said:
indeed, no telling what they'd do out in the wild, eh?
wiihacker3000 said:
so please tell me the best way to do that.
i'd read that pdf if i were you...

You're an ass. and I mean that in a good way. You seriously made me lol
tongue.gif

mikesmithy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This was s huge issue when the USB loader first came out. I had the same issue with two drives.

Look for a program called: hdparm. You can find it easily - it's free. Read the instructions carefully before running it. You can use it to shutdown the sleep cycles on any drive.

Again - make sure to read the instructions as you can screw up your C: drive if you're not paying attention. As long as you're careful you'll be fine.

HDPARM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1