My HDD freezes after 30m in evrey game?!?!?!?!?!?&

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wiihacker3000, Nov 16, 2009.

1. wiihacker3000
    OP

Member wiihacker3000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My HDD freezes after 30m in evrey game?!?!?!?!?!?!?

it is an antec- Mx-1 actively cooled hard drive enclosure with a 160gb desktop hard drive.

first i had problems getting wii games on it. i simply fixed it by going to a windows vista computer and formatting it to: exFAT and then to WBFS and games then worked on usbloader gx , wiiflow, and wii cover flow.

but....now every 30 min my hard drive enclosure starts to make wierd noises like this: tik...tik...tik...tik...tik...tik, etc............

and then freezes... any one know why?

2. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It's going to sleep is why.

Search the hard drive manufacturers website for software that can turn this feature off.

3. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    could be the hard drive spinning down(power save) or the hard drive is going bad the "tik...tik...tik...tik...tik...tik"

4. wiihacker3000
    OP

Member wiihacker3000 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i went to the manufacturers website and the manual must be downloaded. so downloaded it and its a .pdf file and i dont know how to use it..... can some 1 tell me themselves how to fix it?? and can i fix it while wbfs is on it??? i have over 20 wii games that i dont want to loose.... so please tell me the best way to do that.

5. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    What did the pdf say? Link me to it and i will have a look.

6. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    i'd read that pdf if i were you...

7. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    there are two types of tik tik tik sound

there's one that's from the hdd trying to power on, but it doesn't have enough power. so it spins, runs out of power and stops, gets a bit of power and tries spinning again, etc etc. this can happen if the enclosure is powering the drive off, causing the drive to try and get powered by the usb (may or may not happen depending on design of the enclosure pcb)

or it's the drive failing. perhaps it overheats and fails or just fails after time when it hits a particular spot.

what cios are you using? i don't have the problem first hand, but i do remember some cios's have problems with spindown and others have attempted to fix it.

8. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    You're an ass. and I mean that in a good way. You seriously made me lol [​IMG]

9. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    use adobe reader to open the pdf file.

10. jakejm79

Member jakejm79 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I prefer Foxit, way smaller download and takes up less resources, plus the layout it a little more customizable.

11. mikesmithy

Newcomer mikesmithy Member

Canada
    This was s huge issue when the USB loader first came out. I had the same issue with two drives.

Look for a program called: hdparm. You can find it easily - it's free. Read the instructions carefully before running it. You can use it to shutdown the sleep cycles on any drive.

Again - make sure to read the instructions as you can screw up your C: drive if you're not paying attention. As long as you're careful you'll be fine.

HDPARM