Hardware My HDD died out of nowhere [HELP]

huma_dawii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How old is it and what size is it? If it's 6-7 years old or more, it's lived a reasonably long life.
I seem to remember the 1.5TB/2TB/3TB Seagate models being particularly bad but then they gradually improved after that.

It's strange for it to suddenly die like that though, usually it's more gradual as long as it's not been subjected to force. But like I said, it does happen.

I think WD sold it to Toshiba but HGST is still made in the same manufacturing plants they were before they were bought by WD and retain the same low best in class failure rate, plus they are decently priced.

Its a 1TB Drive, Date shown in the label is 06/August/2016, the awesome thing is that it doesn't make a clicking noise.. so far I know that at least my data should be safe in there...

I'm guessing it could be the PCB or a firmware failure... and there is got to be a way to fix that!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Its a 1TB Drive, Date shown in the label is 06/August/2016, the awesome thing is that it doesn't make a clicking noise.. so far I know that at least my data should be safe in there...

I'm guessing it could be the PCB or a firmware failure... and there is got to be a way to fix that!
Yes, there are ways to fix that. It it's a firmware problem, there is a hardware tool that exists that you can connect between the drive and your PC and use special software to interface with that attempts to bypass some of the common firmware faults in order to get data off the drive, I think it's prohibitively expensive though. Data recovery services use that kind of thing as well as swapping out the board or swapping out chips on the board if that fails. You aren't likely to be able to do any of those things at home though due to cost and complexity.
Linus Tech Tips did a video on data recovery which showed the methods they use that you might find interesting.

Edit: This is the video, I think

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

huma_dawii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there are ways to fix that. It it's a firmware problem, there is a hardware tool that exists that you can connect between the drive and your PC and use special software to interface with that attempts to bypass some of the common firmware faults in order to get data off the drive, I think it's prohibitively expensive though. Data recovery services use that kind of thing as well as swapping out the board or swapping out chips on the board if that fails. You aren't likely to be able to do any of those things at home though due to cost and complexity.
Linus Tech Tips did a video on data recovery which showed the methods they use that you might find interesting.

Edit: This is the video, I think

It seems like I'm fucked ahahhaa xD i don't think I will be able to just swap the BIOS from one PCB to another... I think I will have to send this to a professional and see if they can repair the HDD, not to recover the data, but repair the drive so I can recover the data myself!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It seems like I'm fucked ahahhaa xD i don't think I will be able to just swap the BIOS from one PCB to another... I think I will have to send this to a professional and see if they can repair the HDD, not to recover the data, but repair the drive so I can recover the data myself!
If it's that important, go for it, but don't expect it to be cheap.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a WD black before I swapped it out for a Toshiba. The newer black drives make an annoying tick every 5 seconds when idle (I think the newer reds do as well), so it may annoy you depending where it is in the case/how close you have your pc, as if it's idle but not spun down it will constantly do it. https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=20933&s= WD say it's a "normal" thing, but it's annoying and not heard any drives except the newer wd drives doing it.

If the data is so important that you will send it to data recovery, why don't you have a backup :huh:.

Last edited by Armadillo,

huma_dawii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After hours of searching my Bank Statements, Ebay Purchase history, PayPal Account Activity I finally found when and to whom I bought the computer to! I just sent them an email explaining the situation and that my UNDER WARRANTY Drive died... hopefully even if don't get my data back I do get a HDD back! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou