My harddrive makes roaring noises on startup

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and it also clicks a bit. I'm assuming this means its a dying harddrive. Anyway I can stop the hard drive from dying? I'm backing up all of my files to cd/dvds right now.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is no real way I know of to stop a dying hard drive (Edit: that average people can do), you just have to do what you're doing now, back the stuff up, and wait for the inevitable...

- Sam

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I learned my lesson. I'm going to now put my hard drives in RAID whatever that clones the HDs. Kinda silly since I had this PC for only a few months yet my 8 year old PC doesn't even hiccup.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah just backup your stuff as quick as possible. No real way to fix it
frown.gif

If your using vista turn off disk caching, don't run any virus scans, don't defrag. Just try to not do anything HD intensive and it might last a little longer.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy an external harddrive the same size of your internal and do monthly image backups.

Easiest way.
Would be too expensive for me, I got a 50pack of CDs for 13$ and I bet that would be enough for simply my important files.

ALSOOO

My drive is a Hitachi and look at this http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/knowtree.ns...6256756006e340c?

My hard drives makes noises not close to being like that. And it only makes noises in the morning when I boot up the PC, and has been making them for about a month, and it seems to make the same exact sound each time. Could it be a fan? Before I dismiss my HD or anything.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My laptop hd was failing like a lil bitch so i bought a new one from ebuyer and it ran error free and was nice and fast. Now tho it seems to be getting old in the 4months i bought it :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.