My harddrive makes roaring noises on startup

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Linkiboy, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Linkiboy
    OP

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    and it also clicks a bit. I'm assuming this means its a dying harddrive. Anyway I can stop the hard drive from dying? I'm backing up all of my files to cd/dvds right now.

2. Sinkhead

Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

Former Staff
    Nov 22, 2006
    Across the pond
    There is no real way I know of to stop a dying hard drive (Edit: that average people can do), you just have to do what you're doing now, back the stuff up, and wait for the inevitable...

- Sam

3. Linkiboy
    OP

May 14, 2006
    United States
    Well I learned my lesson. I'm going to now put my hard drives in RAID whatever that clones the HDs. Kinda silly since I had this PC for only a few months yet my 8 year old PC doesn't even hiccup.

4. cubin'

cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 12, 2007
    Yeah just backup your stuff as quick as possible. No real way to fix it [​IMG]

If your using vista turn off disk caching, don't run any virus scans, don't defrag. Just try to not do anything HD intensive and it might last a little longer.

5. Strider

Strider Next to the mainstream

Oct 29, 2002
    Buy an external harddrive the same size of your internal and do monthly image backups.

Easiest way.

6. Linkiboy
    OP

May 14, 2006
    United States
    By the way is there a way to know which of my HDs is failing? I have two.

7. Linkiboy
    OP

May 14, 2006
    United States
    Would be too expensive for me, I got a 50pack of CDs for 13$ and I bet that would be enough for simply my important files.

ALSOOO

My drive is a Hitachi and look at this http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/knowtree.ns...6256756006e340c?

My hard drives makes noises not close to being like that. And it only makes noises in the morning when I boot up the PC, and has been making them for about a month, and it seems to make the same exact sound each time. Could it be a fan? Before I dismiss my HD or anything.

8. Lee79

Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

Jul 29, 2007
    ctf_2fort
    If your hard drives have S.M.A.R.T you can monitor there health and performance over a set time say 48hrs then the program will
    report which drive is erratic/dying. Here is a link to a free program.
    http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

9. ackers

ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2007
    My laptop hd was failing like a lil bitch so i bought a new one from ebuyer and it ran error free and was nice and fast. Now tho it seems to be getting old in the 4months i bought it :/