Hardware My hacked 3DS sd card slot broke; bought a new 3ds and wondering what I should do regarding transfer

wiimann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my original hacked 3DS sd card slot broke today and I can't lock in my sd card into the slot. I bought a new 2ds XL and was wondering how I can transfer everything to the new system when I get it. I do plan to hack the new 2ds xl.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my original hacked 3DS sd card slot broke today and I can't lock in my sd card into the slot. I bought a new 2ds XL and was wondering how I can transfer everything to the new system when I get it. I do plan to hack the new 2ds xl.
Do a system transfer after replacing the card slot

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if the official System Transfer app requires a functional SD card slot. It might be okay, especially if you don't have any DSiware installed.

Otherwise, it might be best to start from scratch. You can manually recover your old save data from your SD card using ninfs on a PC if you have your movable.sed, and then restore it to the new system using Checkpoint after you install your games again.

In theory, it is possible to overwrite the movable.sed on your new system and then keep using your SD card as-is, but there are complications to doing that. I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

wiimann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if the official System Transfer app requires a functional SD card slot. It might be okay, especially if you don't have any DSiware installed.

Otherwise, it might be best to start from scratch. You can manually recover your old save data from your SD card using ninfs on a PC if you have your movable.sed, and then restore it to the new system using Checkpoint after you install your games again.

In theory, it is possible to overwrite the movable.sed on your new system and then keep using your SD card as-is, but there are complications to doing that. I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

Oh I was able to transfer without the SD card and keep everything from the old sd card just fine

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I was able to transfer without the SD card and keep everything from the old sd card just fine
unless you nand restore that console, the system transfer is going to throw errors since your friend code is going to be on two systems and will only let you use the items on one console. not to mention that the system encryption is going to make things a mess aswell

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the card spring back out without locking into place? This happened to me before and I was able to stick something in the slot and depress the mechanism after shining a light in there and finding it. You could probably use a small screwdriver or knife. After doing this, the card would stay in the slot, but wouldn't fully lock into place, like I can just pull it out with my fingers now. I continued to use the 3DS like this for several years and it still remains fully functional.

wiimann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the card spring back out without locking into place? This happened to me before and I was able to stick something in the slot and depress the mechanism after shining a light in there and finding it. You could probably use a small screwdriver or knife. After doing this, the card would stay in the slot, but wouldn't fully lock into place, like I can just pull it out with my fingers now. I continued to use the 3DS like this for several years and it still remains fully functional.

The SD card wouldn't lock in at all. I tried many times and it wouldn't go in at all

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SD card wouldn't lock in at all. I tried many times and it wouldn't go in at all
This was exactly my situation after a cheap micro to SD adapter broke apart in there. There's this little spring loaded mechanism that latches into the side of the card. You have to find it in the slot and push down on it with a tool until it releases, then the card will remain in place. I never took the 3DS apart to see exactly what the problem was however.

wiimann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was exactly my situation after a cheap micro to SD adapter broke apart in there. There's this little spring loaded mechanism that latches into the side of the card. You have to find it in the slot and push down on it with a tool until it releases, then the card will remain in place. I never took the 3DS apart to see exactly what the problem was however.
I might give it try, though it really doesn't matter anymore since I already got a New 2DS XL. Thank you for the help

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
unless you nand restore that console, the system transfer is going to throw errors since your friend code is going to be on two systems and will only let you use the items on one console. not to mention that the system encryption is going to make things a mess aswell
I assume M. Wiimann means that he used the System Transfer app, which would have wiped the Friend code (and everything else) from the old unit and changed the encryption key on the new unit.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might give it try, though it really doesn't matter anymore since I already got a New 2DS XL. Thank you for the help
Yeah, I saw you already got it replaced with the transfer sorted out, but just in case you still wanted to salvage the old unit in some capacity for yourself or someone else or if someone with the same issue comes across this thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1