My GP2X is here.... Anyone else have one?

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I got my GP2X after debating for ever if I should get one.... it came with 4 batteries but no charger? Anyone know what the heck I am missing? And anybody else out there want to give me the skinny on the best emulators...mame, neogeo, ect. Currently downloading a neogeo emulator 0.7 but the reviews say I have to turn off sound....hope that is false!

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
For batteries, you have to go out to a store and get a pack of rechargeable batteries with a charger. Make sure they have a high mAh. As for MAME, there's only one, so that's your only choice. I've never messed with Neogeo, so I can't help you there.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, not sure why this thing came with 4 batteries that say "designed for GP2X".... oh well... Do you have any idea how I downgrade my mame roms to 0.34

Currently playing around with clrmamepro but I can't get pacman running...

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When I had mine the rechargable batteries I got were ansman 2600. They last a while. I got my gp2x on release and the homebrew scene seemed to die. I got rid of it a few months ago. Had most of the stuff for it including the TV out cables.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had the custom firmware PSP and it really didn't move me....may repick one up for the new harvest moon in space game...anyway I got this thing mainly for watching divx without having to recode em or resize em
I find that new futuristic Harvest Moon game meh. Yes, I know all Harvest Moon games at the beginning are meh but my god this just dragged ON AND ON AND ON AND ON

Empyre

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dsbrew.com
XP
Country
The D-Pad did suck, I got mine at release and all sorts of projects popped up to improve it. One of the users started making replacement d-pad knobs that fit on the standard shaft, it improved things but didn't fix the problem completely.

I haven't used my gp2x for months now but the last time I looked at the message boards and shops for them I got the impression that the series-1 gp2x now had the replacement knob added by the store that sold them and the series-2 gp2x had that knob by default.

Sorry for overusing the word knob!

Avalyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
still puzzles me why you got a gp2x and not a psp
tongue.gif

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I HAD a PSP...never played games on it...was looking for something that was more of a media player....Very simple why I chose the GP2X over rebuying a PSP....

Chick I am banging takes a train to work and likes to catch up on tv shows.
My old PSP I had to convert my DivX files,
My Ipod I have to convert files
My Zune....I have to covert my files
My DS ... I have to convert my files

So I wanted something mainly where I could grab the latest episode of Rescue Me and put it on my home theaters DivX player and also toss it on a handheld for the train ride....and thus I got me a GP2X

There were a few other options with hard drives but I was intrigued by the idea of the GP2X's homebrew as well....so I took a shot.

The ending result is the GP2X is shorter which is nicer on my hands, the Knob which has been improved on all V3's is better than the PSP....the weight however feels cheap no where near as good as the PSP's but again the ability to drag a DivX file strait off my computer is what I was looking for and I am happy with the end result.

I just got done testing the dedicated CPS2 emulator and the thing runs everything flawless at stock 200Mhz...pretty cool toy.

And don't worry 2short as soon as I knock out the 36 DS games I need to play...and the Wii games I need to play...and my 360 games I need to play...then I will reget me a PSP to game on

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about selling my PSP w/ 2200mAh Battery and 4GB memory stick and more to get a GP2X with a load of accessories and a 4GB SD card.

I love fighting games and shooters and most of the PSP games suck, and I have a DS already and a N-Card (Flash cart). Should I get a GP2X?

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have never played with the PSP, but I love my GP2x. I love it because the scene is pure homebrew (but not 100% pure). The original games are great, coding for it is great, and the emulators are nicely supported. The only throwback for me is the lack of firmware updates and the use of double-A batteries. Those are only small issues for me though. In short, don't expect a lot professional material, but expect a lot of room for your code to roam.

On a daily basis, I personally have an issue of deciding whether to take my DS lite or GP2X with me when I leave my house.

amrod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got my GP2X when it 1st came out.. used it for a hour and havent touched it since :\

I play GP2X the least, then PSP (not too much either) and mostly DS
smile.gif

Nenyana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a GP2X that I got after it was first released. I have played it for maybe a total of almost an hour and not touched it since. I occasionally play my DS Lite but most of all I play my Psp that has 3.40 OE custom firmware installed.

There is nothing quite like playing a game of Marvel Ultimate, Field Commander and Fight Night and then being able to play full speed GBA, PS1, CPS1 and CPS2 (and many others) on the same portable. What gives the Psp the edge for me is the commercial games and the high quality homebrew and emulation. It is even better now that 3.50 can be downgraded because you can buy a new Psp and not worry so much. The N64 emulator is also improving nicely but it has a long way to go.

In my opinion the Psp is the only way to go. I recommend anyone who can afford it to get both a Psp and a DS Lite though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.