• Replies 389
  • Likes 13

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still dying for Donkey Kong '94 DX.

Pretty great that the whole GB Wario Land trilogy is now all in color, along with the 2 proper Mario Land games, essentially completing that series for the GBC. What's great is that it would seem this really can be done for any Game Boy game, and we're only really seeing releases like this over only the past 3 or 4 years. It's only a relatively recent thing that's starting to see more and more interest in the hacking scene. I have to imagine that in a few years, the majority of all great Game Boy games will have received such a DX treatment.

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The colorization for Mega Man III is still going but it's horrible because it's done with the GB Colorizer. See, even the Robot Masters' portraits aren't any accurate to the original, being done on their own when you can just take them from Mega Man III for the NES.
Lm5wN4h.png

Spark Man, Snake Man, Shadow Man and Gemini Man are all here and ready to use, so are the palettes for the sprites. This technique should be also used on Mega Man I, II (along with several graphic fixes/improvements due to the game being BADLY DONE) and IV.

Also, why not add weapon icons to the HUD and pause menu to the other games, like it's been done on Mega Man V?

Last edited by SDA,

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Someone on reddit created a list with links of existing DX hacks:

Supergamerguy has already made one on ROMhacking.net, plus a list of WIP colorization hacks, Konami Collection autoboot patches and GBC/GBA Enhanced mode patches. It even includes things that aren't really needed.

EDIT: And it looks like even the guy on reddit realized about that. Good.

Last edited by SDA,

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To confirm I'm supporting the Mega Man V colorization hack, I've made this.
NEPTUNE.png

I've redone slightly the icon for Neptune's Salt Water weapon as the drop was a bit weird-looking.
Please, send this to marc_max so he can insert it into the game, and also update the icons for Rush Coil, Rush Jet and Tango to how they look in Mega Man Maker.

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
About Mega Man World 5 DX:

I am eagerly following the colorization project but I have seen some minor graphic mistakes that bother me. These are:
  1. Neptune's Salt Water icon has got an unnecessary outline pixel.
  2. The bullet in Mars' Photon Missile icon should be moved upwards by one pixel.
  3. The block in Uranus' Deep Digger icon isn't fully outlined.
  4. Rush Coil, Rush Jet and Tango icons can be graphically improved to match how they look like in Mega Man Maker.
  5. Mega Man's sprite when he gets hurt has another unnecessary outline pixel (which is also in the monochrome original and does not happen in the NES games).
I'm begging you all, contact the author and ask him to address these issues in the hack, please. Please.

Kirä69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Mednafen could supports Custom Palette VB.PAL
But I cannot make a good vb.pal file .
Anybody please would update a good example file of vb.pal ???
Then we can edit that file and put new 4 colors to VirtualBoy monochrome
Who in the world would ever play Game Boy games with a Virtual Boy palette?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to see Solar Striker in color... Maybe invert the sky color to black with white stars like the GBC BIOS does automatically. And then color the different sprites. It's a fairly simple game, so I wouldn't expect it to even take very long to do.

082-05-game-boy-solar-striker.jpg

5.jpg

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd love to see Solar Striker in color... Maybe invert the sky color to black with white stars like the GBC BIOS does automatically. And then color the different sprites. It's a fairly simple game, so I wouldn't expect it to even take very long to do.

View attachment 328943

View attachment 328944
Another launch title that definitely deserves a DX treatment, like it happened with Super Mario Land and Alleyway (the latter is not that good tho).

What about Yakuman, which was never released outside of Japan? Combined with Marvo's English translation would be a good version to play.

Reactions: Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat