• Views 58,129
  • Replies 389
  • Likes 13

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, how do you make this thread and not mention my number 1 Game Boy game that I wish received this treatment before any of the others we've seen so far??!?!?? Freaking Donkey Kong '94, where the hell is the colorized version of that one alread?!!!?

And people saying that we got the Super Game Boy colorization of the game, so we don't need one, clearly don't recognize how bland that "colorization" really is. If anything I just view that as like playing the game on a Game Boy Color with palettes that are optimized per level. Not the same as a full proper colorization like what we've seen lately.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think a color patch for that exists, no offense.

That's my point... he lists all these games he wants to get such colorization from the OG Game Boy, but doesn't list what should be the top contender?! Especially with all the other titles that have already seen the treatment.

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's my point... he lists all these games he wants to get such colorization from the OG Game Boy, but doesn't list what should be the top contender?! Especially with all the other titles that have already seen the treatment.
What are you even trying to get from me, huh?

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
? You mad at me? I'm just asking OP's list of games that they want to receive such a colorization doesn't include possibly the greatest OG Game Boy game, Donkey Kong 94?
That OP you're talking about is ME.
I didn't include Donkey Kong '94 because everyone was wishing already for that game to be fully colorized. Putting that obvious title in the first post would be a waste of time in my opinion.

Last edited by SDA,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That OP you're talking about is ME.
I didn't include Donkey Kong '94 because everyone was wishing for that game to be fully colorized. Putting that obvious title in the first post would be a waste of time in my opinion.
Oh Ok, just curious why it wasn't in the list. I personally would include it for my personal list even if it is the most obvious choice ever, doesn't change the fact that it is indeed what I would love to see all the same.

Since you got me talking about it here is my short list:

Donkey Kong '94
Kirby's Dreamland 2
Kirby's Block Ball
Warioland 1
Pokemon Yellow (Like a full proper colorization, I know it's technically considered a Color game, but get it looking more like Gold and Silver with it's color than how it's currently programmed)
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Game and Watch Gallery 1
The Mega Man games

Those are my main desires, I'm probably missing something, I'll add any if I think of any.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Dreams do come true :D
Thanks to @toxic9
https://gbatemp.net/threads/super-mario-land-dx-mod.592360/

Still a bit buggy but I already like it better than the modified sprites.
I did something similar way back when SML DX recently released.
I created the Mario sprite to be similar to the original SML, but with the color scheme of SMB on NES.
The problem Toxic has with the jumping frames is due to the sprite Toruzz made being separated into two 8x8 sprites, and each one having a unique palette.
The bottom 8x8 sprite uses white, red and blue for the colors, while the top 8x8 sprite uses beige, red and blue, and given how Toruzz's new sprites are taller than the original SML sprites, when changing the sprites back to the original size, you end up with Mario's head having to fit into the bottom 8x8 sprite, hence the white face on some frames.

One way I fixed this was by giving both the top and bottom sprites the same palette, but the downside of this is that certain items that share the bottom 8x8 sprite palette also get modified. Another way is to still keep both body and head separate, and move the head sprite lower in a tile editor.
An easier way to do this would be to give Mario's bottom 8x8 sprite the same palette as the top one through sprite attributes, I'm sure that should be easy to do, but sadly not something I have the expertise to do. Perhaps Toruzz himself could give an insight as to where to look for this.

However, it's better to wait it out already, Toruzz is close to finishing 2.0 of SML DX, and he will be releasing a method of switching back to the original sprites.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Reactions: toruzz and Titney

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Have you seen the Twitter post Toruzz has made? Well, just look at this screenshot.
qfHgCCW.png

One of the features the 2.0 version of Super Mario Land DX is going to have is a brand new options menu!!

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love this thread. that metroid II and pokemon one have been my favorites in the past. Nothing like a good quality rom hack, especially ones like this which add that extra special sauce.

I like working on nes roms, personally (zelda II is my current project), but this stuff? this is good stuff.

Reactions: SDA

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
UiGdADQ.png

Notes about the new update! There will be (apparently) an alternative palette for Superball Mario/Luigi, a proper 1-Up sprite, and (also apparently) a new graphic for when Mario looks up.

I'll be honest, I don't really like the new Superball coloration.

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Remember when I said that it's not a good idea to play monochromatic Game Boy games on a Game Boy Color? Well, look at this screenshot from Kirby's Dream Land 2.
iMe8pic.png

The colors are, without any shadow of doubt, really horrible.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Remember when I said that it's not a good idea to play monochromatic Game Boy games on a Game Boy Color? Well, look at this screenshot from Kirby's Dream Land 2.
iMe8pic.png

The colors are, without any shadow of doubt, really horrible.
Did you try holding different buttons on boot to get different palettes?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try holding different buttons on boot to get different palettes?
This. There are many palettes you can swap between for OG GB games on a GBC by holding different button combos when you turn on the GBC with the game inserted. That palette looks bad for Kirby 2, but I bet there are a few that look great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1