• Likes 13

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry SDA , I didn't explain me correctly.
That I want is to play Virtual Boy in Color, with Mednafen.
But asking here too, because I'm thinking is very similar fact to play with colorized monochrome GB.
No, that is not possible at all. It's better to ignore Virtual Boy unless you want to get an headache.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Street Fighter II
As much as I love almost every Street Fighter game (some more, some less), I really won't bother with the Game Boy entry. It doesn't do the series justice imho, probably due to hardware limitations. I'm glad I had this as a kid but honestly, I won't ever play it again I think. If I'm about to play any handheld fighting games, I'd stick to the Neo Geo Pocket (Color).
All Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles titles for Game Boy (Fall of the Foot Clan, Back from the Sewers, Radical Rescue)
Oh god YES PLEASE! Especially Radical Rescue is one of my GB all time favorites!
Adventures of Lolo (SGB Enhanced)
Another big "Oh god YES PLEASE!" here. It's my favorite handheld puzzle game. Never heard of it until a friend gave this to me when I was young and I just fell in love with this. Everyone should have played this or one of the NES games. Absolutely lovely.
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
It got a fix in July I think addressing a few of the issues. While it's still far from matching the quality of SML 1 & 2 DX, I still think this is now at a state where I would prefer this over the monochrome version.

Great thread btw. I'm totally in for those colorization hacks. I adore SML 2 DX so much. Not only turns it SML2 into one of the most beautiful GBC games ever but also gives me the chance to play as Luigi (my fav from the Mario characters). I played half through this on my hacked Nintendo Switch but eventually stopped to enjoy this again as a whole to the fullest when my Analogue Pocket arrives. I think the Analogue Pocket and Super Mario Land 2 DX were born to meet each other. :D
Post automatically merged:

Dragon Quest Monsters 1&2
Huh? Those are actually already native GBC games.

Btw @SDA seeing your signature, what is it that you hate about romhacking.net so much?

Last edited by lordelan,
Reactions: emcintosh

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As much as I love almost every Street Fighter game (some more, some less), I really won't bother with the Game Boy entry. It doesn't do the series justice imho, probably due to hardware limitations. I'm glad I had this as a kid but honestly, I won't ever play it again I think. If I'm about to play any handheld fighting games, I'd stick to the Neo Geo Pocket (Color).
Well that's what several fighting-type games couldn't do on the monochrome Game Boy due to hardware limitations. They would just blur out if anything moves fast or slow down very horribly if there are many sprites on-screen. The Game Boy Color fixes these issues with its Double speed mode. Pretty nice, isn't it?
Oh god YES PLEASE! Especially Radical Rescue is one of my GB all time favorites!
I know. So many people play TMNT to this day... and with the recently released Shredder's Revenge, what better time could be to play the GB games too?
Another big "Oh god YES PLEASE!" here. It's my favorite handheld puzzle game. Never heard of it until a friend gave this to me when I was young and I just fell in love with this. Everyone should have played this or one of the NES games. Absolutely lovely.
I do wonder why Adventures of Lolo is so underrated. This is basically HAL Laboratory before Kirby.
Btw @SDA seeing your signature, what is it that you hate about romhacking.net so much?
And here's the thing everybody asks me about.
I've been active on RHDN from March to December 2019. My experience there was terrible to say the least - extremely strict forum rules, stuff that you can't avoid getting rejected at least once, very critical reviewers (I don't stand criticism at all) and, most importantly, rude and unhelpful people. After I wrote four negative reviews over patches for Mega Man Zero (one for each of the four games), an user responded with four reviews that recommended these hacks and told to ignore me because I am "crazy". I knew I was going to be disgraced so I went berserk on the forum and I wrote posts in all-caps where I said that I wanted to be banned permanently. So there, I can no longer access this site.

Now you see why I hate ROMhacking.net so much.

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still dying for Donkey Kong '94 DX.
Seconded.
Pretty great that the whole GB Wario Land trilogy is now all in color, along with the 2 proper Mario Land games, essentially completing that series for the GBC. What's great is that it would seem this really can be done for any Game Boy game, and we're only really seeing releases like this over only the past 3 or 4 years. It's only a relatively recent thing that's starting to see more and more interest in the hacking scene. I have to imagine that in a few years, the majority of all great Game Boy games will have received such a DX treatment.
Yeah, we can only hope. But I'm not so sure about that. I think it's a pretty niche thing for a largely older crowd, and while I know the process has been streamlined, and is easier than ever with compilers and hex editors and the like, I imagine it's still a very complicated and laborious process.

And in regards to DK'94 in particular, I imagine that one would be a particularly massive undertaking due to there being over 100 levels, and quite varied in theme. I read an interview with the hacker who DX'd SML 1&2, and he said DK'94 is his favorite GB game. So, if that guy of all people hasn't bothered to touch it, I assume it's a really huge project. I just replayed it again via mGBA using the Super Gameboy enhancements, and while it's a lot nicer than the standard monochrome, it just makes me pine for a proper DX remaster even more.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seconded.

Yeah, we can only hope. But I'm not so sure about that. I think it's a pretty niche thing for a largely older crowd, and while I know the process has been streamlined, and is easier than ever with compilers and hex editors and the like, I imagine it's still a very complicated and laborious process.

And in regards to DK'94 in particular, I imagine that one would be a particularly massive undertaking due to there being over 100 levels, and quite varied in theme. I read an interview with the hacker who DX'd SML 1&2, and he said DK'94 is his favorite GB game. So, if that guy of all people hasn't bothered to touch it, I assume it's a really huge project. I just replayed it again via mGBA using the Super Gameboy enhancements, and while it's a lot nicer than the standard monochrome, it just makes me pine for a proper DX remaster even more.
I mean, it's not even a stretch to say that most of the biggest GB games have already received the fan DX treatment as it is: All the Super Mario and Wario Land games, all 3 Donkey Kong Land games, Pokemon Red and Blue, the original Kirby, and Metroid II.

What other non-color Game Boy games are the popular heavy hitters that haven't received the treatment? obviously games like Link's Awakening received the treatment officially, so that's off the list too. In terms of the popular games that still haven't seen it, all I'm thinking of are Donkey Kong '94 and Kirby 2. That's pretty much it. Maybe Kid Icarus 2? Not exactly a heavy hitter, but a first party series with its share of fans I suppose. I guess there are third party games like the Mega Man entries, but even the well-love OG Game Boy third party titles are few and far between.

Also, incidentally, while it isn't a color DX hack, there was the first complete rom hack of DK '94 that just came out the other day which includes over 25 new levels made by a community of fans of the original game. Gonna have to give it a go shortly here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7213/

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: Thee_Stranger

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, it's not even a stretch to say that most of the biggest GB games have already received the fan DX treatment as it is: All the Super Mario and Wario Land games, all 3 Donkey Kong Land games, Pokemon Red and Blue, the original Kirby, and Metroid II.

What other non-color Game Boy games are the popular heavy hitters that haven't received the treatment? obviously games like Link's Awakening received the treatment officially, so that's off the list too. In terms of the popular games that still haven't seen it, all I'm thinking of are Donkey Kong '94 and Kirby 2. That's pretty much it. Maybe Kid Icarus 2? Not exactly a heavy hitter, but a first party series with its share of fans I suppose. I guess there are third party games like the Mega Man entries, but even the well-love OG Game Boy third party titles are few and far between.

Also, incidentally, while it isn't a color DX hack, there was the first complete rom hack of DK '94 that just came out the other day which includes over 25 new levels made by a community of fans of the original game. Gonna have to give it a go shortly here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7213/
Well, I suppose... if all you ever did on the Gameboy was eat, drink, and sleep Nintendo. But there's a lot of good third party stuff. And this is the first I'm hearing that the Donkey Kong Land series were big, heavy hitters. I never thought that series was particularly revered outside of its novelty status. And not all DX/color hacks are created equal. The SML DX hacks, for example, are a far cry from Pokemon Red & Blue, which got a very barebones colorization.

Anyway, as has already been mentioned, the TMNT GB trilogy was quite popular in its time. There was also an original Battletoads game tailored for it. Battletoads was quite popular in its day, and I have some nostalgia for that one. Bionic Commando also got an original Gameboy iteration. I know that series has more of a cult following, but it was pretty damn good, and I'd love to see it in color. And finally, there's Castlevania Legends, which is the only GB game in the trilogy that hasn't seen a color treatment.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that link. I'll definitely check it out next time I get in the mood for some DK'94. ^^

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I suppose... if all you ever did on the Gameboy was eat, drink, and sleep Nintendo. But there's a lot of good third party stuff. And this is the first I'm hearing that the Donkey Kong Land series were big, heavy hitters. I never thought that series was particularly revered outside of its novelty status. And not all DX/color hacks are created equal. The SML DX hacks, for example, are a far cry from Pokemon Red & Blue, which got a very barebones colorization.

Anyway, as has already been mentioned, the TMNT GB trilogy was quite popular in its time. There was also an original Battletoads game tailored for it. Battletoads was quite popular in its day, and I have some nostalgia for that one. Bionic Commando also got an original Gameboy iteration. I know that series has more of a cult following, but it was pretty damn good, and I'd love to see it in color. And finally, there's Castlevania Legends, which is the only GB game in the trilogy that hasn't seen a color treatment.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that link. I'll definitely check it out next time I get in the mood for some DK'94. ^^
Plenty of good third party stuff sure, but legit, not a lot of great popular third party OG Game Boy stuff. My point was only saying that the biggest games that the most people want color versions of, for the most part already have them, and within a few years, the few remaining other big ones will likely get addressed too. And yeah, some of the less hyped games will get the treatment too, but yeah I wasn't about to argue that all or most of those games would get done in that time.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It would be nice to see the following games in color / Super Game Boy (2) Color and possible to use as cia / in Virtual Console
Donkey Kong (GB)
Mole Mania (GB)
Mario's Picross (GB)
Mole Mania is already being colorized by marc_max (the guy who is going to bring us Mega Man V to color).

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
"Trip World" is a beautiful Sunsoft game that deserves a DX treatment
Never heard of that game. I only remember Sunsoft by the Looney Tunes GB game which was also officially released in color in 1999.

And let's not mention the mediocre games they made for SNES and Genesis (Desert Demolition, ugh...)

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I absolutely agree that a DX treatment would be great for it if done right (aka not making it too pink like the Kirby one).
That's why you have to leave the job to real ASM experts like toruzz and marc_max. Wario Land 3 may have been fixed, yeah, but is still a lifetime away from Super Mario Land 2 DX. It has dark palettes and the same yellow color in various tonalities applied all over the place.

I highlighted that game in red in my wishlist for a reason.

yaketyJack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Never heard of that game. I only remember Sunsoft by the Looney Tunes GB game which was also officially released in color in 1999.

And let's not mention the mediocre games they made for SNES and Genesis (Desert Demolition, ugh...)
Check it out here. It reminds me more of "Gimmick!" on the NES. It's similar to Kirby in that you can fly if you want. And you can turn into a fish at any time:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/trip-world/

Trip-World-Europe_07.png
Untitled-14.gif

SDA

Shame Yourself
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Reactions: yaketyJack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 is too dumb to assemble IKEA furniture :tpi: