My Game In The Making

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Pr3tzals, May 27, 2008.

May 27, 2008

My Game In The Making by Pr3tzals at 12:16 PM (3,565 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. Pr3tzals
    OP

Newcomer Pr3tzals Member

Australia
    O.k today in class i was struck with inspiration after reading a few threads i thought to myself damn it I love Nintendo ds and truly love Soul Calibur, So why not combine the best of both worlds? So far I've ripped all the sounds and voices from my dream cast version of Soul Calibur and have made a cover [​IMG]

So far I have been thinking about which game to use as a base game so far i have chosen only a few if you have played any SC games and think you know a good game to make it from please reply. Also please reply with comment also if someone has already done something like this or is doing something like this please tell me.

GAMES:

Bleach Blade Of Fate
    Drawn To Life
    Jump Super Stars

Thx and heres the front cover for my game [​IMG]

[​IMG]

or

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb162/P...ulCaliburDS.png

please tell em what you think I believe I did poorly on the cover >.>

~ ~ GUYS AND GALS NEW UPDATE ~ ~

OK I WAS STRUCK WITH INSPIRATION AGAIN TODAY WHILE TAKING A SHOWER now out of cap locks:

Ok I was thinking about my fave games which are, X-men vs Street Fighter, soul calibur and Phoenix wright and i thought to myself i like soul calibur because of its characters, XMVSSF for its game play having 2 different company's/genres and don't worry about phoenix wright so then I decided rather then soul calibur for ds I would have different genres of characters e.g I will try and have characters from, Animes like bleach and naruto, games like soul calibur and street fighter and any suggestions you may have so please tell me any characters you may want [​IMG]

2. snaai8

Newcomer snaai8 Advanced Member

Netherlands
    i like the cover nice done!!! [​IMG]

3. albel005

Member albel005 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    dude if i hadn't read your first post i would have thought it looked like a real game

4. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    Funny thing is, the cover is the last thing game developers worry about.

5. CPhantom

Member CPhantom The Noob :(

United States
    If your basing it off of another game, then I say go with Bleach. Not only will it have a better battle system, but also you could possibly add download play and WiFi, couldn't you? o.o;

6. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom

Yeah ... the first thing they normally worry about is facing legal action over breach of copyrights, IP theft, and things of that nature [​IMG]

7. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    nice cover! but you can see the white cut out marks, what software are you using?

8. [sheep]

Newcomer [sheep] Member

United Kingdom
    what is it with people thinking all they have to do is come up with an idea and then SKIN it onto another game.. man.. you people need to realise how UNREALISTIC this is.. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!! changing the most basic concepts of ANY game is a huge project and changing one game into another (like so many people on this forum seem to suggest) is just idiotic and rediculous to even suggest.. to date the most ive seen ANYONE do is change skins of some model.. forgive me if there has been more progress but ive not seen it.. and im 100% percent sure noone has changed even the most basic of game mechanics to change it into something new..

I dont want to tread on anyones dreams here but you gotta be realistic..

9. Pr3tzals
    OP

Newcomer Pr3tzals Member

Australia
    @ [sheep] you are correct on your post not many people have changed the basic mechanics of the games but I will try im gonna start off with small tasks and then go off to larger tasks so it's a goal worth working for.

@ playallday : I used photo shop but just couldn't be F*d with the hassle of removing every small detail [​IMG] does it look authentic? sorta?

10. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

The cover looks nice but the gradient background could be something a bit more exciting, and there's not much left for me to say except good luck.

11. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Yeah you could have added a little something to the background. If you do this game, I wish you luck with it. It even looks exciting lol

12. Pr3tzals
    OP

Newcomer Pr3tzals Member

Australia
    Thx for the support guys, I will continue my part in creating this reading up on my creation I will make a better cover soon and im wondering:

1, seeing how bleach has wifi if i edited the game would i verse people who had the original bleach?

2, I will also make a GBA version I just need to base it over a game what would work?

Oh and Jax you're from Portugal so am I, Im from Santerem what about you?

13. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Both Bleach and Jump look like good starting points.

I will suggest that you use them as concept points to start at if you're not that skilled, but I will also say this...

You're better off simply BASING it off of those, what you REALLY need to be doing, is starting the code yourself, there are libraries so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

You'll have to be doing a lot of graphical changes anyway, just use ideas from those, don't go crazy and try to 're-skin' a game, it doesn't work out too well. Unless you're starting with their source, it's almost NEVER a good idea to try and simply 'tweak' a program, working in a programing language is much easier than having to make tons of programs to edit a file to do what you want.

14. Pr3tzals
    OP

Newcomer Pr3tzals Member

Australia
    well i know a bit off C/++ will that be useful?

15. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    There are libarayies called devkitPro for devleoped DS games

16. Pyrofyr

United States
    Any game is quite hard to make even with maybe a few months of C/C++, however if you want to make a game like this, it's QUITE the experience as a learner, however I would suggest having around a year under your belt.

In any case, you can go ahead and try it, but again, the thing is that most of the time the peoplw illing to dive into projects like this are ones that don't know much in programming yet (I'm in the same boat), and that's generally the biggest problem with getting homebrew made.

17. Pr3tzals
    OP

Newcomer Pr3tzals Member

Australia
    OK I HAVE UPDATED MY FIRST POST PLEASE READ AND COMMENT [​IMG]

18. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    devkitPro is the sofware package
    devkitARM is the toolchain

libnds and PAlib are the libraries

19. Pyrofyr

United States
    If you're going for a fighting game at all, you will want to look up some how to guides on coding fighting games.

As a beginner starting off C++ (Do you know any other languages? [programming]) I suggest finding a nice community of pros and beginners that you can get information from.

I personally prefer http://www.gamedev.net/ , in which they will most likely tell you to start learning C# not C++, but that depends on the person, and since you're going into DS programming not PC programming, they might indeed simply tell you to go with C++ instead.

20. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So pretzals... have you actually done anything besides made this thread and the boxart?