Hacking My G6 Lite Experience Thus Far

Weej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after ordering my chinese G6 Lite from Gamersection (I got tired of waiting for the English release) on the 19th, it finally arrived at my house on the 26th. My package was expensive - $95 for the G6 and $30 for a Passcard 3, but it was a price I was willing to pay because I wanted some form of flash cart right then and there.

I got my G6 Lite, opened the inviting box and found the materials I needed. While I didn't get the othered colored shells, I didn't really care because I have a white DSL anyway. So far every game I have loaded onto my G6 Lite in both the NDS and GBA sections have worked. There is no slow down at all, everything is clean and pristine.

The only thing I can't do on my G6 Lite is play MP3's and Video, for some reason I can't figure out MoonShell and when I load the files onto the G6 it doesn't seem to recognize them.

I have the following games on my G6 Lite card:

NDS Side
Super Mario 64 DS
Mario Kart DS
New Super Mario Brothers
Big Brain Academy

GBA Side:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

I haven't put more games on because I don't want to spoil my appetite. I want to finish what I already have then move on with other games. For those who say that the 512 is too small are kind of being ridiculous though. I still have about 32 out of the 49 Gbytes available with these games on there. Your computer can store all the files you need, you can write them interchangably whenever you want. 512 is plenty of space even with some of the bigger games out there like Metroid Prime Hunters.

The Chinese version is very easy to use, the only difference between it and the English G6 will the language, obviously. But I'm glad I went ahead and got it so that I can use it now instead of wasting time waiting for something that basically does the same thing.

I've only had my G6Lite for about two days now, but if you're looking for something reliable that sits flush with the DSL, the G6Lite is the way to go. I'd say it's easily the best flashcard available on the market right now for both NDS and GBA use. I'll try tinkering with the other emulators soon enough.

-One happy G6 Lite owner.

Weej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully, yours won't go all corrupt and unusable like mine. I'm still waiting for a reply from gamersection.ca for a reply...

When did you get yours and when did this start happening? Did you format everything correctly when you first got it, and you safely unplug/eject the UDISK when you're done flashing?

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm thinking about ordering the G6 Lite from gamersection.ca as well, but I have a few question.

1. Is it the final version or the so called 'trial'/'test' version?
2. If it isn't final, is the quality of the case the same?

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do games that use the real time clock like Pokemon work?

Rykar:
I'm not a pokemon player (in fact, I have no idea how to play it), but I quickly launched a pokemon emerald game, and then set the clock after the beginning of the game (where mom asks you to set the clock in your bedroom), and I came back 5 minutes later and the clock had advanced correctly. So I'm assuming the RTC works fine. (at least the game works fine, I think....)

You should have no problems
smile.gif

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All gameboy advance games should work fine. This isn't an emulator--if it works as a GBA cart in the NDS, it works in the G6.
There may be a compatibility issue with 1 or 2 games but that may have to do with save states more than anything else...

(Yes, super mario world advance works)

Relic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm thinking about ordering the G6 Lite from gamersection.ca as well, but I have a few question.

1. Is it the final version or the so called 'trial'/'test' version?
2. If it isn't final, is the quality of the case the same?
Martin, unless you specifically want the Chinese version, their reply when I asked about the english version might interest you...

"A lot of customers are ordering the Chinese version but have a left a note for us that they would prefer to get the English version instead. You can do the same, as this is the only way to pre-order one currently. We should have the first shipment on Monday or Tuesday"

Of course you could just wait until the product is posted on their site and order then...

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Relic
Either Chinese or English is fine for me, I know both languages. What I'm asking is if the G6 Lite Chinese they have now is the 'trial' version, ie without the two holes on the back of the case.

Also, since language is not a issue for me, which version would you suggest me getting? Are updates for the G6 Lite always comes in Chinese first then later English?

evilreddot

Trophies
Website
www.xanga.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hopefully, yours won't go all corrupt and unusable like mine. I'm still waiting for a reply from gamersection.ca for a reply...

When did you get yours and when did this start happening? Did you format everything correctly when you first got it, and you safely unplug/eject the UDISK when you're done flashing?

I formatted with the FAT16 thing, used the maintenance program, loaded the firmware on to the cart, loaded the games on to the cart using the program that is found on the site, booted up in GBA mode by not using the passcard 3, held down A+B+SEL+START at the green text...and it froze. I`ve tried all of those steps about 5 times now, so I`m gonna exchange it for another one from gamersection.ca (apparently, they had a gas leak, so they re-open on monday, or something).

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
All gameboy advance games should work fine. This isn't an emulator--if it works as a GBA cart in the NDS, it works in the G6.
There may be a compatibility issue with 1 or 2 games but that may have to do with save states more than anything else...

(Yes, super mario world advance works)

No offense, but for some reason I'm finding that hard to believe.
frown.gif

You're saying nearly ALL GBA games works (with a few exceptions) work on the G6 Lite? Can someone else confirm this?

If true, I'll eat my own words, but wow.. Just wow.

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gba side is the same as a normal g6 flashcard, so it's 100% working without any slowdown
biggrin.gif

Yes; gameboy compatibilty is pretty easy with a G6. And looking at the G6L's bigger brother, compatibility and 100% accuracy was one of the *major* selling points, compared to other items like the supercard. If you want to play GBA games on a G6L, you need to stop worrying and go buy one.

NDS compatibility, unlike GBA, is "extremely high", instead of almost perfect. There are a few games that have some problems (Mario Hoops 3 on 3, animal crossing (allegedly, maybe it works correctly now), etc, but 99% of the current NDS games work.

Put it this way:
If Pokemon Emerald and variants (which uses the RTC) and Final Fantasy (which, at least on the SNES, used HDMA, no idea about the gameboy adv, though) work, what *wouldn't* work? The only thing I can think of (on the Gameboy side) that might have problems are cartridges with "special hardware", that is undumpable (remember the massive problems getting Starfox (I THINK it was starfox) to work on a SNES emulator years back?). But I don't know if that applies to any GBA games.

Note: the ONLY problem that I can find is using "Compressed roms" (when copying them over with the disk manager and choosing compress) with an older firmware. Compressed GBA roms will NOT work with the english/chinese 4.0 beta firmware--you will just get a white screen; uncompressed works fine. 4.1a does not have that problem.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What? Mario Hoops 3 on 3 and Animal Crossing doesn't work on G6 Lite?

I was looking forward to play those two...looks like I'll reconsider if I'm getting the G6 Lite.

Again, if I know both English and Chinese, which version would you recommand me getting?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://gbatemp.net/threads/goodbye-guys-girls-others.653902/#post-10401826