My friends and I almost got mugged thanks to Apple's..

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by notnarb, May 7, 2008.

1. notnarb
    OP

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

TLDR story:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    They didn't get the ipod, but reflecting back on it, he never had the touch out in the open, it must have been the headphones alone which caused them to go after him (so as far as they knew, it coulda been a POS gen 1 shuffle). I have read a couple news articles on how thieves have begun targeting people with white headphones, but I never thought that it was real, and never in a million years would have thought it would have happened in the neighborhood we were in (not necessarily a 'rich' neighborhood seeing as we were between townhomes and condos, but overall very safe).

edit: wtf it cut off the title once I submitted it, but not in the text box
    edit 2: thanks lagman

2. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Blimey!! Horrible to hear this happened to you and your friends.

3. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Get (or tell your friend to get) standard black earphones. The iPod ones aren't amazing in quality or anything. They actually annoy the hell out of me because you can hear them from a far distance even when the sound isn't on that high.

4. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    Tough.

another reason i hate ipods and those cheapass headphones.

5. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    I have awesome white Sennheiser CX300s, and have never gotten robbed. But I also don't have an iPod, I have a real PMP..

6. Gian

Member Gian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You should blackmarker your white headphones.
    But wow, that must've been a pretty weird experience.
    Was your heart beating really fast? After?

7. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Where's your gun when you needed it?

8. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Uh, if they had an SUV, why are they in desperate need of an iPod? I mean, to have an SUV in this day and age with gas prices what they are... they must already be loaded. [​IMG]

9. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    /in before the n - word !

10. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    what i wasn't spamming and i said nothing wrong ?

11. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong

12. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada

You know, it may be a joke, but it has a ring of truth to it. [​IMG]

(Man, doesn't a ring of truth sound like some sort of awesome cosmic item that you'd find in a comic book?)

13. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    i pods r okay, i just dont think the headphones are cool.

I almost got mugged in the 3rd grade with my friend from some black dudes in a car

14. iffy525

Member iffy525 not famous

United States
    yeah, my friend got mugged last year because they saw his iPod. It was pretty scary. Luckily for some reason the cops had ran into the thugs earlier in the day so they knew exactly who and where they were, and they stopped the city train and caught them. Now they are in juvie.

15. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Something similar happened to us...sort of.

Years back, my mother, brother, and I were going to the bank so that my mom could withdraw money from the ATM.
    Well, we pull up to the station (ATM is outside of the building, so that the bank doesn't have to be open if you want to get money from your account) and my mom starts to get out of the car.
    Before she does, she notices this dark purple SUV parked on the road behind us.
    One of her friends had been mugged at an ATM, and was cautious (and I'm glad she was).

Anyways, fortunately, a security guard drove by and the SUV left.
    That day could have been very bad...glad that she didn't get out of the car and go to the ATM.

I feel bad for your friend, and I know you can't believe it happened.
    I, myself, have been jumped by some out-of-town-boys - and boy did it piss me off.
    Hope that guy and his expensive Apple product are OK!

I personally wouldn't bring my iPod into the mall or store, as I value my things too much to risk them getting taken from me.
    Maybe he'll no next time to not reveal his expensive stuff to the public...poor guy.
    Be more careful, even if it's in your neighborhood.

16. SleepingDragon

Member SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I hate those stupid headphones. The second I bought an ipod, they went into a drawer and never came out. I've always hate the feel of things sticking IN my ears. Plus, others can hear your music 20 feet away. I like my over-ear headphones just fine.

17. notnarb
    OP

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

I found it amusing that on the same day:
    -Someone asked me if I got socked in the face before
    -My friend (the one who got punched) was discussing fistfighting with someone else
    -I was discussing with my friend who had the ipod about the justification of the 350 dollar difference between his mp3 player and mine (a meizu)

ino rite?

18. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sucks when stuff like this happens. I would not feel bad about not getting "fight ready" as adrenalin normally only serves to reduce your ability to plan and reason (far more important than not being "tired").

Regarding the area: it actually makes more sense to me as this would appear to be a somewhat targeted attack.
    Original map
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...mp;t=h&z=16
    3 years ago this November I was walking along the park about 11:45 on a Saturday morning and a little woman (I am not that big but I was towering over her) decided to try and mug me with a dog (some pitbull cross thing)
    Modified map:
    [​IMG]

X marks the spot, the red circle is a parole office, the green is a police station. Everything around there is either a factory, low income/council housing or student accommodation. I had nothing on display (I literally just had my empty bag and my cashpoint card in my upper arm pocket).

@where is your gun: in this case it is only good if you know how to use it in close quarters and against people "on meth" the deterrent effect is next to useless. Not to mention a nice firearm would probably fetch more than an ipod.

@4ppleseed yeah, I spent the last few years there.

19. 4ppleseed

Member 4ppleseed GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Well it's just good to hear your okay really. What is the connection between SUVs and crime? haha.

What town is that FAST6191, Liverpool?

20. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    I'm glad you're okay, but you can't say 'Thanks to Apple this happened to me' because really, Apple did nothing to you for that to happen. That was the moron's decision, not Apple's. It happens all the time with other products as well; I've heard of PSP's, Xbox 360's, cell phones, etc. stolen from people because they are of a popular brand. The assholes are the ones that are targeting people based on the accessory, and the company has nothing to do with it [​IMG]

But like others have said, get a new pair of headphones. I haven't unravelled the white ones because I despise in the ear headphones, and just go for an over the head pair -- At least they don't fall out.