My friend killed his wii (i think)

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by gov78, Mar 9, 2007.

Mar 9, 2007
  1. gov78
    OP

Member gov78 Ha made you Look

United Kingdom
    hey my friend go a US wii the other week and it seems he killed it within 20 mins of getting it lol. he put a converter on the plug and plugged it in. the wii lite up and then BOOM! a reli load pop noise came form some where on the wii. i was just wondering if you could tell me whats wrong with his wii since he cant access the net because he got a broadbandupgrade and has to wait till next month till he can get back on. i think it may be his power supply blow up.

2. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    i dont have a wii but most things nowadays have fuses replace it. if it doesnt have one(i have a suspcion it doesnt), its probaly the power supply. return it to nintendo if u have to

3. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yea popping noise is prob something blowing or electricity arcing, try a different AC adapter seeing how wii comes with a external power supply (that cord with the box converts the voltage for wii instead of internal one like xbox or ps2) if hes unlucky he prob blew a fuse or 2. if you have a wii try your connector they usually make it universal so the output will be same even though the input is different. the specs are "Output: DC 12V 3.7A" if your output is the same it should be compatible. not a electrician so double check it.

i really think its the AC adapter since it should fry way before wii does.

also if its totally fried i guess your friend could perhaps try and return it to NOA or pawn the parts on ebay

4. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    k il tell him that keep the post the suggestions coming in i feel bad since he has to come to my house to play his wii games (i have a NTSC wii aswell).

5. beverlyhills9021

Newcomer beverlyhills9021 Newbie

Micronesia, Federated States of
    Well, just try his wii on your power supply...

6. what2

Newcomer what2 Member

What's the voltage of your outlets out there? is it 220v or 110v?

US wiis have 110v ac adapters out of the box. if you plug in the us ac adapter in a 220 socket well it's probably fried. A step down adapter (one that converts 220->110), an avr or a 110 socket should work.

Also, plugging electronics into surge protectors or avrs imo is a must. I'd rather pay a few more bucks with surge protectors than fry expensive electronics [​IMG]

7. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    the voltage on his wii is 120V plug and it american ungrounded polarized plug.

8. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    Your friends probably blow-up his Wii power PCB borad from inside.
    (you could smell burn plastic fuses)

9. Rocco Savadgie

Member Rocco Savadgie GBAtemp Regular

Since you have a UK flag in your profile there I'll assume you are in the UK. Just to repeat what "what2" said:

The UK power supply runs at 220V /50Hz. The USA Wii requires 110V /60Hz. You're friend should have bought a "Step Down Converter" that can handle over 60 watts. He could have picked one up for £10 at any electronics store.

Your firend probably used his dads razor connection or something that allowed you to plug the Wii's american plugin into the UK socket, however this did not "step down" the power supply resulting in your fried Wii [​IMG] I'm sorry to say the Wii's PSU is blown and you will need a replacement one - probably an American one. Nightmare for your friend [​IMG]

10. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks il tell him to get a new PSU as soon as he can
    any idea on how much it would be also is there a chance the wii pcb was fried?

11. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    well my friend found out whats up and how much it gunna cost. it gunna cost him £70 ($140) to get a new PSU and it to be fitted so hes gunna send it back to america and get a refund.

12. 111111111

Member 111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Zimbabwe
    chances are just the psu blew, the wii is prolly still alright.

if so, all he needs is a UK psu.

He doesn't need to send it to the usa, he doesn't need to fit anything, he just needs to borrow a UK psu to test that his wii still powers up fine. Once you've verified it does, you can buy a cheap 2nd hand psu. There is one on ebay atm thats upto £5 inc postage (2 days left).

13. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    so basically my freind need a new one of these [​IMG]
    hey could you PM me the ebay link 11111111 im gunna have to bid on it for him since the situation with his internet.

14. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    yes or no?

Sorry for double post but he keeps bugging me to find

15. DEF-

Member DEF- GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    If he is bugging you, search ebay yourself, should be easy to find a new adapter there.

16. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
  17. 111111111

Zimbabwe
    the one I saw was this official one.

Chances are that should sort it out. if not, then it's the wii thats dead - not much I can do to help you there.. :!

18. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    is the a power supply in the wii console like a pc one or is it all in the box of the plug?

19. 111111111

Zimbabwe
    The "box of the plug" is the power supply. That means if you have a jap/american wii you can just buy a uk psu rather than using a stepdown. (the n64 and snes were the same too - except the snes had a few different sized jacks so not all psu's fitted all consoles).