My first 360 is being shipped!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by unpaidassassin, Nov 29, 2008.

Nov 29, 2008
  1. unpaidassassin
    OP

Newcomer unpaidassassin Advanced Member

United States
    Ok scored an elite bundle at a decent price and even getting a new tv for my room this weekend.

I just want to start preparing. The 360 homebrew community is basically non-existent from my understanding but there's a good amount on Live with modded systems.

How's the flashing/chipping stuff work for the 360? I'd obviously like to get in on this mostly for paying er "backup" games and maybe even arcade games. I also plan on playing on Live, probably not too many games though.

I'll also use the 360 to play some videos/movies or whatever that I have on my computer.

suggestions, advice, and comments are appreciated

2. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Suggestion? RETURN IT AND BUY A WII LOL

Just joking. The 360 kicks the Wii's ass. Have fun with it.

3. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    science your not helping.

You'll get a lite on which currently is unflashable. You'll need to buy another dvd drive (i recommend a ben q) and read up on how to do spoof your lite on. There is many guides online.

4. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Congrats on the purchase, you wont regret it.

As far as flashing it goes, what Prime said ^

You'll get a liteon drive in it if its brand new so you better get ont'ebay for a BENQ replacement drive if you wanna play backups [​IMG]

also "science quote: "Suggestion? RETURN IT AND BUY A WII LOL" - worst advice I've ever read, evar! [​IMG]

Once you get bored of smash brothers that wii will become redundant.

5. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    ^^ You need to read my whole post!

6. unpaidassassin
    OP

United States
    damn I'm gonna have to replace the drive [​IMG]

well it's not like I'm in a hurry. when I get the 360 I'll have 2 or 3 games to play for a while. maybe the new dvd drive will be flashable by then [​IMG]

as to the Wii comments, I don't have my own personal one but I plan on setting up homebrew channel so I can play backups on the family one...unless I can score a Wii for super cheap

oh and whats the difference between getting the 360 flashed versus mod chipped?

7. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    haha, I did. I was only joking [​IMG]

Replacing the drive is not that bad. I was gutted when I realised my Elite had a Lite On but it really wasnt that much hassle finding a replacement BENQ & as far as flashing it goes, I coulda done it myself but I didnt have a connectivity kit/rs232 thingy so I got a guy to do it for me. It took him about 2 mins - not that much of a hassle.

As far as modchip goes - dont bother. Firmware flash is easier, cheaper, safer etc & there have been reports of certain modchips going f00ked after the NXE install.

8. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Or how about not flashing your system?
    Unless you're tight on money, I don't see the benefit to risk being banned from live.
    You can get unexpected bargains rummaging around the pre-owned section too.
    Also getting too many games can lead to pirate syndrome or at least staring at your box deciding which game to play :/
    I actually bought 6 games already and I've got too little time to play them. Imagine how much worse it'll be if you can get any game at any time for free?
    Plus, buying games makes you appreciate them much more too [​IMG]
    I might be preaching to the wrong crowd but I felt that I had to get this out.

Also, it will never be flashed. There's some tech info on why its not possible.

9. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Lol thats the problem I have now. I have 2 big spools full of games and don't know what to play. Sometimes I even resort to closing my eyes and just choosing one at random lol.

10. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    i pack up all my games except 2. when i've finished them or gotten thuroughly bored i break out 2 more.

11. unpaidassassin
    OP

United States

well first, I actually will hold off on flashing for a while. maybe (hopefully) the drives in elites will be flashable and NXE working fine eventually.

when I got my ps2, I already wanted to get it modded but didn't. after having only a few games, I went and got the unit a flip top cover for swap discs. now this was a pain but hey I had access to more games. and now I plan on doing the mem card soft mod too!

when I install the HBC on the Wii, I'll still buy some games like the usual first party Nintendo ones but the rest (along with the gcn goodies I missed) will be played thanks to the scene.

I checked ebay on trading sites and 360 games (at least the popular ones) are just a bit cheaper than at gamestop which isn't saying much. the 360 games are just too much when first released. I am not exactly "tight" on money but would like to save as much as possible for future endeavors. and I wouldn't be foolish enough to play games before release on Live either.

however, I fully agree that buying it would garner more appreciation, unless the game is shit lol

and what did you mean by that last line?

12. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I'm ordering a bundle from Play on Friday so I'll be joining you in the new 360 owners club! Just picking up the Arcade model for now and I'll grab a hard drive in the new year.

13. unpaidassassin
    OP

United States
    the 360 arrived...I hope it's a Jasper but on the UPC sticker it has TEAM:TMEM