My dvd drive disappeared when i installed windows 10

Subzero100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why i never wanted to use windows 10, and everything seemed fine until it downloaded some updates. After it restarted the drive was gone, and the hard drive light stayed on permanently.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
check device management. see if there's a yellow triangle with an exclamation point. you might have to reinstall some drivers.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might want to check the driver for the dvd/cd drive, see if shows up in device manager as @godreborn stated, you should take note newer computer no longer come with DVD drive they being phased out.
yeah, my laptop doesn't have an optical drive at all, but it does have an M2, so it's relatively modern. though, it takes quite a while to compile some things like both the open orbis sdk for ps4 and atmosphere for the switch took about an hour each.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is why i never wanted to use windows 10, and everything seemed fine until it downloaded some updates. After it restarted the drive was gone, and the hard drive light stayed on permanently.
If you've checked device manager and it's there with no hardware issues. You can also check disk management to ensure it's been assigned a drive letter. If not just right click it and select change drive letters and paths. Then just assign it a letter that's not currently in use.

Edit:
Also it is a possibility that you will need to install your motherboard chipset drivers. If it's a sata drive some mother boards run two sata chipsets. So I would also suggest checking your motherboards driver website and installing any chipset drivers that windows didn't. Or if it did work at first it could be that Windows installed the latest WHQL driver that broke it. If it's the latter and you do see something in device manager under storage controllers with an exclamation point on it, right click it, go to the driver tab and choose roll back driver.

Last edited by fringle,
Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse