Hacking My dstwo won't load nds roms/ How many roms can the gba or snes emulator run at a time?

FireSpirit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a DSTWO. Whenever I try to load nds roms, it's always on the loading screen, it never starts up. Even the nds rom icons don't show up... :/ Is there a way to resolve this? Also, I've tried the GBA and SNES emulators on numerous occasions, and I've loaded many roms at a time, but only a few of them (like, only 3 of them) will properly work. Is there a limit as to how many of the roms that can be read?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it came with the Supercard I'd be tempted to tell you to run h2testw on it to make sure that it is ACTUALLY 4GB. There's a possibility it's a counterfeit card that's actually reporting a larger size than it really is. Do this before putting your games and stuff back on.

http://www.heise.de/download/h2testw.html

Official site for the program, use Google translate on it if you need to. What it does is it completely fills the card with data, then reads it all back to see if any of it became corrupted or lost during the process. That can give you a very good idea of whether your card actually holds 4GB or if it was a counterfeit one that actually holds much less.

Reactions: FireSpirit

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Start with a freshly formatted card then do either one (put stuff back on, or h2testw) honestly, you've got a 50/50 chance of needing to or wanting to do the other regardless of which one you do first. Really doesn't matter.

Definitely format it first though. If anything fixes it, that will. Put you right back on as fresh a slate as you can get.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sicklyboy I bought a R4i Gold + 16GB MicroSD card combo from 3ds-flashcart.com it only fills up to 6.4 GB then files go missing the same files go missing every time any ideas?

I had e-mailed 3ds-flashcart.com about the issue they gave me one reply telling me to format the card and wouldn't send me a new card accept a return or even give a second reply for that matter.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acidflare that's most likely a counterfeit card. microSD cards that are supplied with flashcarts are notorious for being such, unfortunately :(

I can only offer you the same advice I gave to FireSpirit, back up your data (if it matters to you), format it with the Panasonic SD Formatter (linked earlier), then run h2testw on it (linked earlier).

It's been a while since I've used h2testw but basically at the end results, if memory serves me right it'll tell you the reported capacity of the card (16GB in your case, formatted it might be 15.8GB or so, you get the idea), how much it wrote (should match the "capacity" of the card, so 16GB), and how much it was able to verify. If the number that was verified is less than what the card reports it should be, the card is either damaged or counterfeit and will need to be replaced.

So for example, card will be labeled as 16GB, a legit or counterfeit card might show up as having a 15.8GB capacity. This is completely normal. On a legit card it would write that entire amount, then read it back and verify it all. On a counterfeit card a large portion of the data will be corrupted or missing.

Both of you - if you have questions about it post some screenshots I can help you out when I get a chance. Also I think the program automatically starts in German, there should be a button right on the initial screen to change it to English.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FireSpirit when using the panasonic SD format software, Sicklyboy forgot to mention to use the Full(OverWrite) function.
This will help a lot. it fixes different errors that exist on a flashcard reading different filesystem sizes for example with a R4i Gold 3DS card + 8GB MicroSD card using the windows format software won't let you play Golden Sun - Dark Dawn doesn't boot it just black screens.

Where as on a 16GB it works when formatted by windows but the 16GB has it's own issue when formatted by windows Konami Classics Series - Arcade Hits doesn't work with RTS(Real-Time-Save) enabled you either have to turn of RTS for the Konami game or format the 16GB card with the Panasonic SD Formatter with the Full(OverWrite) mode

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I already had a R4iG+16GB combo of my own that I purchased from nds-card.com the bad card was a combo package that I purchased from 3ds-flashcart.com for my wife because they had a cheaper price and the non-RTS model which is what she wanted some strange reason I went and ordered, the RTS model is what showed up though but I went on nds-card.com and ordered a new 16GB which worked no problem

Edit: I don't know where exactly that bad 16GB is right now I think it may only have a filesystem size of 14.78 GB which is odd to me it's a Kingston I find Kingston cards fail less then sandisk cards

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the bundled microSDs are a mixed bag. Sometimes you get good ones, I've had it happen to myself. And sometimes you get bad ones.

Usually a safer bet to just run to a walmart or something and pick one up there for $15 and save yourself the headache rather than chancing a bundled card. But what are you gonna do, you know? :rolleyes:

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well it kinda gave me a user experience from both online stores I won't be going back to 3ds-flashcart.com that's for sure. they have no customer support well not none but very very poor. http://www.nds-card.com on the other hand has excellent customer service I hold them with High regards. I have e-mailed them multiple times about numerous questions for various products and they had answered all my questions in detail.

also here in toronto, Canada your better off getting an SD card online or at a liquidation store like Canada Computers or Factory Direct then going to walmart

FireSpirit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. I'll do all this to the card, hoping it helps. If not, I'll just buy a new microSD card that's hopefully legit. :P

FireSpirit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just formatted and used h2testw. It told me it was defective. :/ Here's some notes I took of it:

vhggggg.JPG

I'll just buy another card. Would you know any sites that sell legit microSD cards?

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just formatted and used h2testw. It told me it was defective. :/ Here's some notes I took of it:
I'll just buy another card. Would you know any sites that sell legit microSD cards?
http://www.nds-card.com/
but don't forget to use the panasonic SD format software with the full(overwrite) option before you throw data on the new card

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I suggest using something like Amazon if you want to buy a microSD card. Avoid Chinese sites, avoid Kingston, and if your flag is right, stick to shops that are actually based in America. Even then, if you buy somewhere like Amazon, double check the info for where it says the item is shipping from. Chinese retailers haven't infiltrated sites that well yet, but you can never be too careful.

For example, this should be a decent 16GB card for fairly cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Mic...=1416510192&sr=8-3&keywords=16GB+microSD+card

Reactions: migles

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
http://www.nds-card.com/
but don't forget to use the panasonic SD format software with the full(overwrite) option before you throw data on the new card

he asked for a mciro sd card, not another DS card, i dont recomend you to get a micro sd from there, probably its another counterfeit...

btw FireSpirit you can purchase a micro sd from a trusted store like walmart, its a regular micro sd card (exactly the same as everyone got on their phones)
get it from a store chain like that, there is no risk of being fake AFAIK

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
he asked for a mciro sd card, not another DS card, i dont recomend you to get a micro sd from there, probably its another counterfeit...

btw FireSpirit you can purchase a micro sd from a trusted store like walmart, its a regular micro sd card (exactly the same as everyone got on their phones)
get it from a store chain like that, there is no risk of being fake AFAIK

ummm go read the posts above I highly recommend them. I have ordered 5 microSD cards from nds-card.com 16GBx2 8GBx3 none were counterfeit or even corrupted for that matter

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
ummm go read the posts above I highly recommend them. I have ordered 5 microSD cards from nds-card.com 16GBx2 8GBx3 none were counterfeit or even corrupted for that matter
There are much cheaper alternatives to nds-card though where memory cards are concerned. They may be our official sponsor, but I still can't support spending 3x - 5x more on a card just because of that.

Reactions: migles

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wasn't talking about price differences yeah their a bit pricey but I for one have never had an issue with their products and the subject of conversation was about counterfeit and corrupted MicroSD cards and where to get one that isn't a counterfeit or just a bad card

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.