Hacking My DSTT crashes ramdonly

adrian2040

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I had no problems with my DSTT and 4GB SDHC card. However, my DS with my DSTT in it fell and since then sometimes games don't load, and then they load, but then they loading. I've tried formatting the card but it doesn't work. My 2GB micro sd card works normal. Help would be appreciated. (By the way, my roms are in separate folders.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you mean by "sometimes games don't load, and then they load, but then they loading." You said that sometimes games don't load, so does that mean that sometimes they do load? When they load, can you play them or do they sometimes crash while you're playing a game?

You mentioned that you dropped your NDS. Does your NDS work properly otherwise (does it run regular game cartridges correctly)?

It's possible that you broke the solder inside the DSTT when you dropped it. If so, you might be able to fix it if you have the equipment and expertise, but otherwise you would need to buy a new cart.

-Bri

adrian2040

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Well. Sometimes games load, other times they don't. The change is often. However, I was just able to fix my problem, but another one arised. The menu is now very slow. The loading is very long.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think anything 4GB and lower can be formatted in FAT16 (I should say, there is an "extended" FAT16 that allows up to 4GB), but 4GB is "iffy" formatted that way. So I'm not surprised that you're having more luck with FAT32. At any rate, FAT32 is going to be a little slower than FAT16, particularly with slower microSDHC cards. A class 6 microSDHC card should be faster.

You might also try formatting your microSDHC card using the Panasonic formatting program, which is specifically made for SDHC cards (Windows "format" command really isn't intended for flash cards). Many people have reported seeing significant speedups using the Panasonic formatter: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html

The DSTT menu is a little bit laggy when scrolling even with a FAT16 card, particularly with a lot of files. YSMenu is a lot faster, so you might want to try that as well.

As far as loading games, it should take maybe a few seconds longer with FAT32, so if that's what you're seeing it's normal. If it's taking more like 30 seconds longer, there may be some other problem.

Here's a thread all about formatting microSD cards: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=79022

-Bri

Ice Cold

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found that typically patched or trimmed roms load slowly on the TT. It seems to prefer clean roms. However, I don't understand why your 4 gig won't work, but your 2 gig is fine. Maybe problems with the SD card? Anyways, Bri's advice is probably the best out of anyone's.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So are you still having trouble only with your 4GB card but not your 2GB card? It's possible that your 4GB card is bad. It's also possible that you're using that crappy microSD reader that comes with the DSTT. Have you tried a different reader? Are your games in a folder on your microSD card, or are they all on the root? They need to be in a folder.

-Bri

adrian2040

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
It was workng perfectly before the fall. Either the broke my SDHC card, or the fall made my DSTT be unable to read SDHC cards properly.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it reads your microSD card OK, it's not likely that it's the DSTT. My guess is that something in the microSDHC card broke when you dropped it, but it could be any number of other things (it might also be a coincidence that the problem occurred only after you dropped it).

So, to recap...you noticed the problem with the microSDHC only after you dropped it. It works with the 2GB microSD but not the 4GB microSDHC. Your files are in a folder and not on the root.

Have you tried a different microSDHC card? Have you tried a different microSD/HC reader?

Also, you said that you were able to fix the problem by formatting it in FAT32 except that it was slower (you didn't say how much slower it was). Are you now saying that you're encountering the problem again after reformatting in FAT32 using the Panasonic formatter?

-Bri

adrian2040

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
1) I tried two different readers.
2) The menu scrolls a lot more slowly. It takes like a second per game to scroll while games scrolled rapidly before.
3) The Panasonic formatter didn't specify if it was FAT32, but the speed was similar to FAT16 when I used it. By the way, I did a quick format.

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3) The Panasonic formatter didn't specify if it was FAT32, but the speed was similar to FAT16 when I used it. By the way, I did a quick format.

Never do quick format...

Formating my 2GB MicroSD takes less than 4 seconds to format doing "slow" format and only about a millisecond of actual card activity

And slow menus are easier to fix on slot 2 cards since they can flash to ram in an attempt to clear corrupted ram

adrian2040

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Now games stopped loading. It doesn't matter how I format it, still doesn't work.
frown.gif
Can I somehow fix my 4GB SDHC card or will I ned to buy a new one?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can you see the microSDHC card on your PC and can you copy files to and from it without corruption? If so, that's pretty good evidence that the problem isn't your microSDHC. Even better would be to reformat it and try using it on another flash cart and see what happens.

And your 2GB microSD card still works every time without any problems?

Have you tried another microSDHC card on your DSTT to see if somehow the problem is specific to SDHC? If so, this would be the first time I've heard of a DSTT developing a problem with being able to read SDHC but could still read SD.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins