Homebrew My DSi XL with Unlaunch is bricked?

StarlyVe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Greetings, I apologize in advance for my English, I am Spanish-speaking.

It has been about five months since I "hacked" my DSi XL, at the time I used Unlaunch, Hiya CFW and the TWiLightMenu menu. Until today it worked perfectly.

The last time I played, that is, a few hours ago, I did it with an original cartridge game (Pokémon Pearl). An hour ago, I added a new ROM to the SD card, when turning on the console, this shows a black screen, it doesn't even turn on the Unlaunch. At most, when applying the reset protocol, it shows a white screen momentarily but returns to the black screen. Another feature that is presented, but I do not know if it has to do, is that the wireless connection LED stays on permanently. The most I can do is change the brightness using the Select commands and increase or decrease the volume.

I tried and investigated different methods, that if I remove the SD card and press a combination of buttons (Power On and A, Power On and A/B) but it was a failure, Unlaunch does not boot, just a black screen greeting me.

Is there a solution for this problem? I was literally playing a few hours ago and I have not changed or deleted anything from the console, I just added a new ROM and I doubt that that simple fact has affected the launch of Unlaunch.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There have been similar spontaneous black screens of death – but with write operations on NAND right before. [Uninstalled unlaunch] and even [Updated unlaunch].

New files on the SD should not brick a DSi – why would they? I was able to get this behavior with a corrupted boot file on the SD, but removing the SD brought up unlaunch file menu (as expected).

The most you can do is remove SD, game cart (and the battery for a few minutes). Reinsert battery (nothing else) and try again – with and without holding (A) + (B) . If it does not boot there is something wrong with the console.

Badly positioned WiFi/firmware board can lead to some errors. The first one is a bootloader (stage 1) error: 0000FEFE on the upper screen and the second one is a complete failure to boot (only blue LED, not even backlight). The second error happens when the firmware chip is completely disconnected. You can try removing and reinserting the WiFi chip anyway. Be careful when lifting the back cover because the SD and (L)(R) button assembly is connected with a weak ribbon cable that has to be removed gently from its connector on the motherboard.
============

I don't have and more ideas – sorry for the negative reply. Anybody else?

I wish you good luck anyway!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, , Reason: Typo

StarlyVe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thank you very much for the quick response, KleinesSinchen.
I have to say that as soon as you sent your answer to the forum, I read it immediately, I just did not comment because I went directly to try the first procedure you gave:
The most you can do is remove SD, game cart (and the battery for a few minutes). Reinsert battery (nothing else) and try again - with and without holding (A) + (B).
What I did was test it by removing the battery for a few minutes (ten minutes) as well as in standby hours (about five hours). What happened?, I think you anticipated:
If it does not boot there is something wrong with the console.
Therefore, I will try the steps you describe in the last paragraph. The only thing I can say is that at the moment, the screen does turn on and I can change the brightness (as I mentioned earlier, even depending on whether or not it is at maximum brightness, the screen turns to be a dark grayish color), all LEDs work and, I don't know if it's important or not, there are times when, when I try to turn on the console, it shows some red and blue stripes in the corners that gradually disappear until the screen of death remains: totally black.
I will be in contact to tell what happened.

Last edited by StarlyVe,

StarlyVe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Greetings, I am pleased to say that: the console is already working!

It turned out to be just as you said, KleinesSinchen:
Badly positioned WiFi/firmware board can lead to some errors.

When opening the DSi XL following the steps described here: Nintendo DSi XL Wi-Fi Board Replacement by IFIXIT (because I'm a noob the hiperlink can't be posted by the moment), I managed to unmount and replace the Wi-Fi board.

Really, I'm 100% grateful for giving me the guidance to solve this problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y