Hacking my DS Mode is Still bricked!

are you having the same problem?

• Yes

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • No

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • yes but it's fixed

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • no i have a different ds mode problem...

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's the case, then it's not worth the effort...
I'll just tell him to use his old DS Lite to play DS games and leave it has is.
sadly i would have to agree as well... i was even lucky to get a 3DS in the first place lol but next year when i start to get job at 16 i will see what i can do. or i might just buy a switch instead XD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

however i do ask how @MDashK had HIS camera broken AND have his DS mode bricked when he says he used TWLightMenu...

now i DO agree this can be the solution to fix it (I don't know why im acting like a professional when i can just be completely wrong and looked at funny lol) regardless i feel like there is a bigger picture to the CAUSE of the problem he and i have... cause everything is starting to come back to me when my ds mode bricked and the camera app being screwed up... because i NEVER had a problem with my camera app nor my ds mode until using TWLightmenu myself now i dont wanna talk shit about the app but i dont know how it can inflict with a perfectly fine camera to make it not work at all... now i do want to know if it is confirmed that it is either a SOFTWARE problem or a hardware problem...

MDashK

Trophies
Website
www.mixwaves.net
XP
Country
sadly i would have to agree as well... i was even lucky to get a 3DS in the first place lol but next year when i start to get job at 16 i will see what i can do. or i might just buy a switch instead XD

however i do ask how @MDashK had HIS camera broken AND have his DS mode bricked when he says he used TWLightMenu...

now i DO agree this can be the solution to fix it (I don't know why im acting like a professional when i can just be completely wrong and looked at funny lol) regardless i feel like there is a bigger picture to the CAUSE of the problem he and i have... cause everything is starting to come back to me when my ds mode bricked and the camera app being screwed up... because i NEVER had a problem with my camera app nor my ds mode until using TWLightmenu myself now i dont wanna talk shit about the app but i dont know how it can inflict with a perfectly fine camera to make it not work at all... now i do want to know if it is confirmed that it is either a SOFTWARE problem or a hardware problem...

Just go for the Switch, trust me. xD
Also, you can easily grab a used 3DS for cheap nowadays, like 30~40€ on used stuff shops and online and similar...

I never noticed the camera wasn't working until you mentioned it. I hd no reason to open the app until then, so neither me nor my friend knew this issue with the camera. Probably, it was already present when he acquired the 3DS...
Also, as I said before, I never managed to enter TWLightMenu itself on this system, I was only able to install it, and installation uses 3DS mode.
However, I have used TWLightMenu on my and other systems without any issue whatsoever.
Personally, I'm inclined to a hardware issue....

Also, just tried running Ridge Racer 3D on the thing, just to test it, and it doesn't run. It crashes the console. The game must request something at the hardware to the console that it makes it crash...

Last edited by MDashK,

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I checked @MDashK 's files and here are my results:

-AGBSAVE - holds your last virtual console save game. Nothing corrupted.
-FIRM0/1 - the with b9s patched boot firmware. Ok
-CTRNAND - is ok else your 3ds wouldn't boot. One interesting aspect is that I checked for /rw/sys/lgy.log but it is missing. This is a logfile created by twl firm if errors occur. So the 3ds is not even executing TWL and is crashing before that.
-NAND_hdr - The nand header. Didn't know you can dump that with decrypt9. I checked it and it is valid (ty 3dbrew!). TWL partitions are included and have a valid media size.
-TWLP - Holds one photo app file. Just tells me the partition works as it should.
-TWLN - This partition is also full of valid files. Under /sys/log are logs that tells that the hardware works but sadly I think they are created either in factory or when TWL firm is first started. It is also way outdated on all devices I have (in yours it is dated from 2013 and from a JPN console).

This sums it up. In my opinion all partitions are valid and correctly working. My conclusion would be a hardware error.

EDIT: I restored his TWL partitions to my 3ds and it works out of the box. So there is definitely a hardware problem.

Last edited by GothicIII,
Reactions: MDashK

CodyWGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I checked @MDashK 's files and here are my results:

-AGBSAVE - holds your last virtual console save game. Nothing corrupted.
-FIRM0/1 - the with b9s patched boot firmware. Ok
-CTRNAND - is ok else your 3ds wouldn't boot. One interesting aspect is that I checked for /rw/sys/lgy.log but it is missing. This is a logfile created by twl firm if errors occur. So the 3ds is not even executing TWL and is crashing before that.
-NAND_hdr - The nand header. Didn't know you can dump that with decrypt9. I checked it and it is valid (ty 3dbrew!). TWL partitions are included and have a valid media size.
-TWLP - Holds one photo app file. Just tells me the partition works as it should.
-TWLN - This partition is also full of valid files. Under /sys/log are logs that tells that the hardware works but sadly I think they are created either in factory or when TWL firm is first started. It is also way outdated on all devices I have (in yours it is dated from 2013 and from a JPN console).

This sums it up. In my opinion all partitions are valid and correctly working. My conclusion would be a hardware error.

EDIT: I restored his TWL partitions to my 3ds and it works out of the box. So there is definitely a hardware problem.

interesting... thanks for confirming that... btw have u met @TurdPooCharger yet? You 2 would probably be a great team with this sort of stuff lol.

Reactions: GothicIII
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@HNKii, found a solution to his messed up DS(i) touchscreen from the thread below.
I would like to revisit this thread with a proposed idea to try out.

@CodyWGamer, @jeffyTheHomebrewer

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know if this will work.

1. Backup the current SysNAND *.bin image.

2. Rename your Nintendo 3DS folder to Nintendo 3DS (main).
  • :!: You must rename this folder or else it will get deleted in step 3.

3. Create a new (dummy) user profile.
  • HOME Menu → System Settings → Other Settings → Format System Memory

4. Install a DSiWare game CIA that is known to you to have bad touchscreen input.
  • You will be testing if there is a software aspect to this bug that we've missed.

If the touchscreen works again in DS(i) mode

5. dump your NVRAM image.
  • GodMode9 → [M:] MEMORY VIRTUALnvram.memCopy to 0:/gm9/out.

6. Restore your user profile with the image made in step 1.

7. Delete the (dummy) Nintendo 3DS folder. Rename the Nintendo 3DS (main) back to Nintendo 3DS.

8. Check again if the DS(i) mode touchscreen went back to being borked.

If the touchscreen went back to being bad,

9. Rename the NVRAM image dumped in step 5 and restore it with NVRAM Flash Manager and/or 3DS_NVRAMtool.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I'l test that soonish, but I have another DS (O3DS) that is known to have a working DS/i Mode touch screen, could I use the NVRAM from that?
I'm going to go with a "no" about using NVRAM image dumped from another 3DS/2DS system, especially between different models.

The proposed idea is to closely replicate what worked for HNKii.

I probably should have added about dumping your current nvram.mem and renaming it to nvram (bad).mem before trying the idea out.

Calling the TWL big shots @zoogie, @Sono, and @Robz8.
In the minuscule chance that this is NVRAM that we failed to catch the first time, cross comparison between bad and good dumps will prove useful to study.

I'm signing off. Hurricane Dorian starting to pound south Florida.

Reactions: fyredragon

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It worked! although I had to follow another guide to fix the NNID Stuffs. (they wouldn't let me into the eShop until I fixed that)
And no, it didn't say "online services restricted", it just said something something connection error, try again later.

[Here's that other guide I used: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-fix-error-code-022-2634-without-format.479653/]
Did you have to reach all the way to step 9 in order to get the DS(i) mode touchscreen to work again?

If you did, do you have the before and after NVRAM image dumps?

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Sorry for the late reply, I'm still migrating to Linux.

I don't think that a corrupted NVRAM causes TwlBg to kill itself, but loading some error flag in TwlBg causes similar effects to the one shown on the video from a few pages ago (white screen then reboot).

However, it feels like it's not TwlBg trolling, because the white screen shows for too long for it to be TwlBg. I have a suspicion that the stage2 DSi bootloader is trolling. I didn't reverse engineer it yet, but it feels like that it might fail to access TWLP and kills itself for some reason (probably missing assets because DSi mode on the 3DS is very stripped down, so rebooting might be a default behavior if error can't be displayed).

I'm really out of ideas though. Do the DS Profile settings stay, or do they just corrupt themselves? Does DS Profile even load without crashing?

Stupid idea: try installing mset exploit and then boot into DS mode... assuming you can find a stupid mset patcher which doesn't care about your system version.

CodyWGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It worked! although I had to follow another guide to fix the NNID Stuffs. (they wouldn't let me into the eShop until I fixed that)
And no, it didn't say "online services restricted", it just said something something connection error, try again later.

[Here's that other guide I used: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-fix-error-code-022-2634-without-format.479653/]
congrats on getting it working for you but i dont know if it will work for me mainly because your problem might be different from mine and if that is the case its most likely not a good idea for me to do it...

Sorry for the late reply, I'm still migrating to Linux.

I don't think that a corrupted NVRAM causes TwlBg to kill itself, but loading some error flag in TwlBg causes similar effects to the one shown on the video from a few pages ago (white screen then reboot).

However, it feels like it's not TwlBg trolling, because the white screen shows for too long for it to be TwlBg. I have a suspicion that the stage2 DSi bootloader is trolling. I didn't reverse engineer it yet, but it feels like that it might fail to access TWLP and kills itself for some reason (probably missing assets because DSi mode on the 3DS is very stripped down, so rebooting might be a default behavior if error can't be displayed).

I'm really out of ideas though. Do the DS Profile settings stay, or do they just corrupt themselves? Does DS Profile even load without crashing?

Stupid idea: try installing mset exploit and then boot into DS mode... assuming you can find a stupid mset patcher which doesn't care about your system version.

to answer YOUR questions, yes the ds profiles stays as is and yes i can load it without crashing.

CodyWGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean, it works? Or is it still the same as in the video?
yes i can load the ds profile without the dreadful white screen

EDIT: probably should mention that i was allowed to load the nintendo ds profile even when this problem occured

Last edited by CodyWGamer,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I did read the thread back again, but I'm still confused. What happened to your TWLP partition? And how did it happen?

CodyWGamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did read the thread back again, but I'm still confused. What happened to your TWLP partition? And how did it happen?
nothing really but what I DO remember is when i was trying to launch TwlightMenu and i got a white screen when i finished setup and it went to sleep mode when i tried to launch one of my ds games... i didnt think too big of it until that whole fiasco with my past error with fbi not working... because i couldnt use frogminer when i was stupid and uninstalled cfw

Last edited by CodyWGamer,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Did you have to reach all the way to step 9 in order to get the DS(i) mode touchscreen to work again?

If you did, do you have the before and after NVRAM image dumps?
Nah, I only needed to go from step one to step five. I have the before NVRAM, and the after NVRAM. You Want 'em?

Last edited by jeffyTheHomebrewer, , Reason: Clarivacation

Physicist_569

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! I just experienced the "black screen DS mode" whenever I launch Twilight Menu, DS Cartridge, DS Download Play, Nintendo DS Connections, etc. I tried NVRAM fix (https://gbatemp.net/threads/recover-ds-mode-after-an-nvram-brick-eg-after-using-a-ds-bricker.516444/), TWLFix-CFW (plus the system update), and a CTRTransfer without any success.

The weird thing is that anything DS-related ran fine without my SD Card inserted. It turns out the culprit for me was TWLPatcher, specifically the twlbg.xci file it creates within the luma/sysmodules folder. Deleting this solves everything. I think it may have been corrupted since rerunning TWLPatcher and having it create a new luma/sysmodules/twlbg.xci is ok now. :)

Last edited by Physicist_569,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.