My DS died *pic*

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Opium, Jun 26, 2008.

Jun 26, 2008

My DS died *pic* by Opium at 6:47 AM (6,048 Views / 0 Likes) 47 replies

1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    [​IMG]

My DS died yesterday. It was a launch model DS Lite and has served my faithfully except it had a crack in one of the hinges. A lot of people have this crack. Well yesterday the hinge broke off entirely when I closed the lid. I wasn't even being forceful with it. I had no indication this would happen. The DS still boots and works but, yeah, the top half hanging by a thread doesn't make it easy to play.

I've sent it away to Nintendo Australia for repair today, hopefully they don't charge me too much. Has anyone else had an experience with the case breaking? How much did it cost to fix?

I'll be DS-less for a few weeks now. I'll miss it, especially with all the cool games out at the moment.

2. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    ouch, thats totally dead. I can't stand being away from my DS for a few days >.

3. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    It's always hard when you lose a loved one... my condolences to you and your family

4. sjones900

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    wow dude that sucks hope you get it back from Nintendo Quick

5. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    I'm sorry to hear. [​IMG]

I've known people whose DS just break itself. Like in one case, she just lift it and it just went apart.

6. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    When I sent my DS off to Nintendo Australia, I got it back in about 3 working days.

I do live fairly close to the repair centre though, so that may have had something to do with it.

7. Scathraax

Member Scathraax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh my..

I remember when I sent my first Phat out for repair. Thems was hard times.
    Then it died due to a battery short, so I had to send it back again. [​IMG]

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your DS makes it back to you ASAP!

8. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    charged me 70 to fix only a little crack

if you were good with stuff, you should have just bought a new case, and replaced it your self

9. Mr Malice

Newcomer Mr Malice Advanced Member

United States
    Savages. That's who did this. You must hunt down those terrible beasts and purge them of this world. Or..... just wait for it to get back and keep playing... >.> I still like plan A tho.

10. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Bah, my power switch on my Nintendo DS Lite stopped working and I had to send it back.
    The Nintendo Rep was very helpful and instead of sending me mine repaired, I asked for a refurbished Nintendo DS Lite (all you have to do is give them your credit card number, they'll send you a prepaid envelope for shipping your DS Lite as well as free shipping for the refurbished DS Lite). My DS Lite was in warranty, BTW.

I know that really doesn't apply to your situation, but just thought folks may want to know in case their DS Lite gets fucked somehow.

Service should be quick for you, and about the price - I'm sure it won't be that expensive as they understand that broken hinges are a common problem with many DS Lites (the launch date DS Lites at least). If not, you could possibly ask them to not do the repair and buy an unofficial DS Lite case so that you don't have to pay so damn much (it may not look as nice as the original case - but it beats a broken DS; contact thieves if you're not very good at the tedious job of changing your DS case). Hopefully repair won't be too much. Good luck to you, yo.

I know you'll miss Mr. Lite, but grab Alone in the Dark for your Xbox 360 and you'll forget all about it. [​IMG]

11. TheStump

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    we shared some good times, my ds would 'connect' with your... ds [​IMG]
    Mine has the same crack, should i be worried mate?

12. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    Maybe it was Haruko? That guitar can really do some damage.

13. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    EXACT thing happened to me I almost shat a brick when it happened, but mine was under warranty. I would've used this as an excuse for a new casemod, but that's just me [​IMG].

14. Mr Malice

Newcomer Mr Malice Advanced Member

United States
    I still have an original release DSLite. I love it to death. This thing has been thrown, dropped and scratched up on the surface pretty badly. But damn, it pulls through. No Hinge Breaks, cracked screens, broken buttons. Also I'm a neat freak with the thing, I polish it with an Eyeglasses cleaning cloth. Scratches don't show as well and it's shiny with no finger prints. Time to change the screen protectors tho.

15. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    I don't see how people do this to their hardware. I mean where you using it for target practice?

16. Opium
    OP

Australia
    Yes good times... [​IMG]
    Not sure if you should be worried. Mine didn't show any damage other than the little crack you saw up until it fell apart... There wasn't even a loud noise or anything noticable. When i closed it I just noticed the lid was really loose, then I realised a piece had snapped off.

Anywho, I've turned my attention to bigger and better things (less hinge damage anyway). I for one welcome our new PSP overlords!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Eh, it was only a matter of time. I, for one, welcome the new overloards!

18. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    Im also considering getting a psp. After seeing my brothers newly hacked psp I am enticed by it.

19. littlestevie

Member littlestevie GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Opium the speed really depends on location, for instance NoA here in melbourne is in Ferntreegully when i had to send my DS in for repair (faulty top screen) i had it back 3Days after sending it (located in boronia at the time so just around the corner i could have dropped it in personally if i wanted)

20. Opium
    OP

Australia
    Even if it does arrive back within a few days or a week I wont get it because I'm going away for a few weeks starting Saturday...

I just loaded up my PSP with GBA games, the irony.