Hacking COMPLETED My dongle project, internal/external SAMD Loader with CR2032 Holder

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you sir, no rush!

About board renders, since Autodesk bought Eagle a while ago, they've introduced integration with Fusion360. Within your library, you can now assign STEP files to components and place the models on a virtual board in the right place. Then, when your board is done, you can click the "Sync with Fusion360" button and pick a location in your 360 projects folders and it will spit out a 3D model of your board, with all the components in the right place using the STEP models you provided. I think you can use other file types but you'll want to stay away from meshes like STL.

If I want to do more than make an enclosure and feel the board is worthy of a pretty render, I'll then assign proper materials to all the components (STEP files only let you assign colors). For really fancy renders I'll convert my gerbers to SVG files and import and model them in Fusion360, since right now the syncing process only pushes a low resolution bitmap that doesn't show up in renders. I've attached an example of my board below showing what you get out of the normal process as well as what a render looks like without proper materials assigned and traces modeled.

It's a huge pain in the arse to make a dimensionally accurate 3D model for every component you have, but you only have to do it once and then it's in your library forever, and if you're trying to make the tightest fitting case possible there really is no better way.

View attachment 139145 View attachment 139146

Well it certainly looks amazing! I was originally worried about the Autodesk takeover, but it seems like things are going pretty well so far. Eagle is improved, and other than some annoying online account nags I never use, I don't think any functionality has been removed or screwed up. Pretty surprising, actually!

By the way, your board is in the mail! I'll PM you the tracking number

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd really like to support this project!
I love your setup. I hand paste the very limited SMD protyping I do and have a toaster oven with the Zallus Reflow Oven Controller: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1070729460/zallus-oven-controller
If you are behind on building them, would you have any interest in selling a DIY kit with just the components?

That controller looks amazing! Do they still sell it, I went researching it but couldn't find anything..?

And thank you for your support! If you want a kit of components, I'll make one up for you. Some of the parts are really small though - I'd say the hardest is the 0603 LEDs so if they don't scare you you should be good.

The atmel chip is a "blind" placement, meaning you can't see the leads on the sides. If you want, I can reflow that one on.

Either way, I love the maker spirit so I'm up for whatever!

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Have you done any power draw tests from your dongle and are you using any of the sleep modes of the ATSAMD21? Are you waking it up somehow or using a shutdown timer from when the program starts? Curious about battery life from a CR2012. I noticed you didn't go the DotStar route like the Trinket M0 has and I'm considering dropping it myself because the quiescent current draw with all LEDs off is still quite high.

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This one is about 8.8mA when searching, maybe 12mA for one second when sending and activating the payload, then 0.47mA after launch when just showing the power LED. I am using 10k on my LEDs to keep this current low, but I may get complaints about dim lights so I may use MOAR CURRENT someday.

If we call a CR2032 180mAh and the average current 9mA, this would be 20h of activity or 2400 launches if you only leave it on for 30 seconds at a time. I usually only use it for 10 seconds, so I'm not worried about going broke buying batteries. :)

However, I do have to say that supercaps are super rad. For me, I just wanted something simple for my own use.

And dotstar is great, but I just can't justify adding more expense as I don't think a serial RGB LED supplies much value here. Like you, I'm not buying components in 10,000 quantity so the costs add up. I'm keeping it simple to have a bare-bones widget for the indie crowd that wants something reprogrammable, without soldering, and without having to buy the whole SX license/dongle combo.

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks all for the support! Batch 1 has about 13 units left, where 7 are promised to Tindie. I have a few more SAMD on hand, but will need to restock if these disappear. PM me if you would like to get on the list.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is that a DAPlink??? how to download by openOCD? by a st link??

Good eye! It's an STM32 Blue pill flashed to CMSIS-DAP. You really only need openocd to program the bootloader on a fresh chip. After I flash the bootloader, all firmware updates can be done by just dropping a file onto USB.

But yes, for the initial flash to write the UF2 bootloader, I use openocd.

Here is my openocd.cfg script to flash it. Hope it helps you with your project - I like your chip board, it's a good idea.

Code:
interface cmsis-dap
transport select swd
#Target
set CHIPNAME at91samd21e18
source [find target/at91samdXX2.cfg]
#source [find target/stm32f1x.cfg]

init
targets
reset halt
at91samd chip-erase
reset halt
at91samd bootloader 0
program D:/projects/SAMD_Loader/Firmware/all.bin verify
at91samd bootloader 8192
reset
shutdown

Last edited by electronrancher,

jj56185

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thanks all for the support! Batch 1 has about 13 units left, where 7 are promised to Tindie. I have a few more SAMD on hand, but will need to restock if these disappear. PM me if you would like to get on the list.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good eye! It's an STM32 Blue pill flashed to CMSIS-DAP. You really only need openocd to program the bootloader on a fresh chip. After I flash the bootloader, all firmware updates can be done by just dropping a file onto USB.

But yes, for the initial flash to write the UF2 bootloader, I use openocd.

Here is my openocd.cfg script to flash it. Hope it helps you with your project - I like your chip board, it's a good idea.

Code:
interface cmsis-dap
transport select swd
#Target
set CHIPNAME at91samd21e18
source [find target/at91samdXX2.cfg]
#source [find target/stm32f1x.cfg]

init
targets
reset halt
at91samd chip-erase
reset halt
at91samd bootloader 0
program D:/projects/SAMD_Loader/Firmware/all.bin verify
reset
shutdown
yes I have a ATMEL ICE, that was expense,I need to buy one more

dsdork

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That controller looks amazing! Do they still sell it, I went researching it but couldn't find anything..?

And thank you for your support! If you want a kit of components, I'll make one up for you. Some of the parts are really small though - I'd say the hardest is the 0603 LEDs so if they don't scare you you should be good.

The atmel chip is a "blind" placement, meaning you can't see the leads on the sides. If you want, I can reflow that one on.

Either way, I love the maker spirit so I'm up for whatever!

Which atmel chip is it?
I'm moving and stuck on my phone for a while.

Last edited by dsdork,

electronrancher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the OG Atmel Cortex chip, the ATSAMD21E18A-MU. Biggest flash and RAM, although none of the loaders (so far) even fill it halfway up. You could probably replace with the G18, which I think is half the flash (128k) but that needs double checking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.