zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So this is the first topic in our inter-school debating competition.
yay.gif

The bad thing is, we don't know if our team is going to be negative or affirmative...
Let me clarify a few things, by we, i think our group is going to state "the Australian government" and by ban, i think we're going to go with "not allowing them to be sold or played in Australia"

I just hope we get negative for this..

Any thoughts/advice on this?

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Wait what

You're supporting the banning of violent videogames? And hope you get negative by debating on its defense?

I don't think that's a good plan.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Eughhhhhh

I've had worse. Name a topic that could possibly be worse than "That we should ban all advertising at sporting events".

If you are affirmative, make a realistic model that does nothing but enforce the restriction rules.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ikki said:
Wait what

You're supporting the banning of violent videogames? And hope you get negative by debating on its defense?

I don't think that's a good plan.
No if my team got the negative side, we would be debating againest banning

EDIT: To answer Evo, I don't actually know if we're going to be debating Away or Home..

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm
write up some notes of fine facts.
like people could always not buy them.
(that was a crappy one)

if it was positive i guess it would be easier because you could just summerise the governments saying
but people who play hardcore games, would just do an evil stare at you
Evil_Monkey_301.0.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why ban violent video games? If something that trivial sets someone off, it's only a matter of time before another catalyst comes along.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Look at it this way, in my opinion many games should be banned. They are adult games and people under the age of 15 should not be able to have such easy access to them. You can argue that adults should have the choice to play what they want.
My advice would be to try Australian gaming sites. Both PALGN and Australian Gamer have passionate and knowledgeable memebers taht will be able to help you on both sides of this argument.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is no correlation between violent video games and violence in real life. There has never been a peer-reviewed, published article linking violent video games to violence in real life. There is really nothing more to discuss. I hope for your sake you get to debate against the ban.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Edgedancer said:
Look at it this way, in my opinion many games should be banned. They are adult games and people under the age of 15 should not be able to have such easy access to them. You can argue that adults should have the choice to play what they want.
My advice would be to try Australian gaming sites. Both PALGN and Australian Gamer have passionate and knowledgeable memebers taht will be able to help you on both sides of this argument.
Why should a game be banned because a store sells it to minors? Why not simply enforce your age-rating system on games? The government is not your parent.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
what exactly do you need?

advice on how to defend yourself in the debate?

these are just my ideas. but i can't arrive at a final opinion because i have no idea about your laws.

if you are negative:

banning such games will prove effective for a some gamers. but with the internet, piracy isn't very hard. if game's are gonna be banned. you're encouraging piracy. rather than banning games, why not consider moderating. this may be harder but will also ensue parent-child bonding and will prevent people from pirating because the game isn't sold in their country.

if positive:

if kids are exposed to violence at a young age, they might think it's normal ang grow up with it. even though you say parents can moderate their children, you can't guarantee that every parent will. just to be sure, it's better to ban these things. prevention is better than cure.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In case people don't know how a debate works, you need to think of both sides to win.
So y'know, posting for and against arguments are both valid in helping. So just...post your opinion.

Anyways it's 3:30am but i'll do a simple for/against list.

For banning:
-Those with a weaker mentality are capable of absorbing negative behavior from REALISTIC violent videogames. Grand Theft Auto being a big one. People with existing mental issues really can learn from violent videogames.
-Videogame violence slowly desensitizes people to violence in real life.

Against:
-All violent videogames are given appropriate and strict age ratings. Thus it is both a parents, and retailers responsibility to keep impressionable under-age children from playing games out of their range.
-A mentally healthy person will not mimic videogame violence.
-Violent videogames can often act as a medium for stress relief. Instead of getting mad and going out into the real world to cause trouble, someone can simply turn on a violent videogame and vent their anger in a safe and legal manner.

Quite honestly, against banning has a much better chance of winning. Violent videogames don't really have much of a negative to them.
Might check back tomorrow and edit my post when i'm actually awake. Sorry for any odd sentences, or typos.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: