my dad is in australia!

desh_thiere

Trophies
XP
Country
Bah, I am Australian and even I acknowledge that Aussie beer is donkey's piss. The only beer I buy is imported from overseas as XXXX, VB and most other Aussie beers are very very sub standard

mackster

Trophies
XP
Country
yeahhh! australia is super awesome =DD especially mELBOURNE see all the crazy people in the city get something like a AFL(a faggots league) foot ball or boomerang

btw veggiemite taste like shit and salt mixed and theres some like other vegemite rip off i used 2 see it on like ch 10 in the mornings wondermite or some ripoff

roguefan99

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If he is in Queensland, get a Cane Toad Wallet, those things look absouletly freaky.

Otherwise get him to pick up some Coopers beer, best beer in the world (won the "World Cup of beer" promo).

squall3031

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ive been living in melbourne for 8 years and i still have no idea how to throw boomerang properly. Does that thing really come back to u for real ? if it does, any scientific explanation ?? >

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Also get him to bring home some ants that hurt like shit when they bite and keep walking around even after you detach their heads from their bodies
ph34r.gif

And some of those dead toads I saw hundreds of. Oh, and the stupid birds (I think they're Galahs) that wake you up at 4 o'clock in the morning with their stupid noise.

Malcan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.cidhighwind.net
XP
Country
United States
ive been living in melbourne for 8 years and i still have no idea how to throw boomerang properly. Does that thing really come back to u for real ? if it does, any scientific explanation ?? ><

Yes it does.

Only if you get a smaller one. The large ones are used for hunting and usually fall to the ground after striking the quary. The smaller ones, used for sport, return.

Boomerang on Wikipedia (Isn't Wikipedia just full of useless knowledge?)

roguefan99

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ive been living in melbourne for 8 years and i still have no idea how to throw boomerang properly. Does that thing really come back to u for real ? if it does, any scientific explanation ?? ><

I made one from a book ages ago, and if you throw them correctly (with the wind correct) they can come right back to where you threw them from. Like the other poster says it depends on the type of boomerang that you use. It does take a fair bit of effort to get them to come back I spent quite a while as a kid doing it. Just dont try and catch them when they do come back!

Cockatoos are much worse than Galahs in the morning. I have a heap of them outside my work late in the arvo, its how I know when to go home!

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
not if you can catch, or atleast duck!
The trick it to throw it completely level with itself, but high enough so gravity wont bring it down before it comes back to you.

ahzael

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
vegemite is used to test kids IQ, when they realize that they are eating shit, it means they are ready to become real men..................
i've never heard anyone say "i like vegemite"
only nazi parents keep feeding their kids with that crap, even thou they know it tastes like shit.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My stepdad made boomerangs and sold them when he was young. He was good enough with them to throw three at once (sorta fanned out in his hand) and get three different flight circles and catch them all once at a time.

I remember catching them being mostly painful. They were "bladed" on the edges and made from fairly sturdy wood (I think he used plywood and varnished it). It would spin pretty bloody fast and whack the back of my knuckles most of the time.

The more I think about it I can just remember more and more the pain of trying to catch them.

Anyway onto a suggestion for something to bring back.. I really don't know. Pictures of platypus' maybe? if he has some spare time and is in Sydney he could catch them and plenty of other weird native fauna at Taronga Zoo.

I can heartily recommend some fine Aussie Beer! Coopers is fantastic stuff, hard to beat a Boag's Premium though. Both have won international awards. Just steer clear of the cheap stuff like Fosters, Tooheys, XXXX or VB.

I'm pretty sure they used to sell Kangaroo steaks at some of the major airports, in export friendly vacuum packed portions. I'm pretty sure it would be terribly expensive though. That's a pity 'cause I love a bit of Roo on the barbie. He may even be able to get some Crocodile steak.

**edit**
Just an edit to say that ahzael's previous comment is not representative of most Aussies opinions on Vegemite. I don't think it's the best thing ever, but I do enjoy it on toast for breaky every once in a while. My son (age 9) has never liked it while my step-daughter (aged 7) devours it most days for school lunch.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Question: Is there anything even remotely similar to Vegamite in the U.S.? The opinions vary so wildly on the stuff, I'd love to try it. If not, any of you displaced Aussies living here in the states know of a reputable import shop online?

Edit: Sorry if this is off topic, I'm just really hungry right now!

crescentsaber

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lunarist.com
XP
Country
vegemite is used to test kids IQ, when they realize that they are eating shit, it means they are ready to become real men..................
i've never heard anyone say "i like vegemite"
only nazi parents keep feeding their kids with that crap, even thou they know it tastes like shit.

OMG U're HILARIOUS !!
rofl2.gif
I've been here for 4 years and never had a taste of it, is it really that bad ?

roguefan99

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Question: Is there anything even remotely similar to Vegamite in the U.S.? The opinions vary so wildly on the stuff, I'd love to try it. If not, any of you displaced Aussies living here in the states know of a reputable import shop online?

Edit: Sorry if this is off topic, I'm just really hungry right now!

I remember hearing of a few stores in the US that have it. Found an online one http://www.simplyoz.com/ I though Olivia Newton John's stores had it too but I might be wrong. The funny thing is you regularly see vegemite on ebay every now and again. I love the idea of a 2.5kg pail of Vegemite, that would take some people decades to get through (I can eat the stuff straight, just need to drink so much water after though)

As stonkalot says one side the the boomerang is pretty sharp, its designed a bit like a plane wing. They are usually made of wood and are travelling at a reasonable speed, so putting your hand in front of it and be rather painful. I did it once (to stop it hitting a wall and smashing) and learnt my lesson.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse