My CycloDS Evolution Story

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Salamantis, Jul 12, 2007.

Jul 12, 2007

My CycloDS Evolution Story by Salamantis at 10:44 PM (4,575 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. Salamantis
    OP

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Hello all, thought I might share my "luck" with you guys.

Well, it started like this. Mewgia, a friend from a different site, a regular here, introduced me to the DS scene. I've always wanted a G6DS Real, but as I was right about to buy it, the CycloDS Evolution came out, with lots of better features. OK, so I look for Canadian resellers on Team Cyclops' site, and I see Divineo (.ca). I think, ok, sounds nice. Average price for CycloDS, 55$. I go order it, confirm everything, and then realize I pay 80$. WTF? I look at the reciept emailed to me and I see that the 55$ was actually USD (wtf, in a .ca store), plus around 20$ of Shipping, Handling, and the 2 fucked up Quebec taxes (total to about 15%). Then I thought, well that's what people would pay. Then Mewgia tells me that that's WAY overpriced. And there's no way to cancel my order.

OK. Well, I guess that seeing as I can get games for free, that 80$ will pay off. Then I order a 1GB Kingston microSD card from NCIX for 10$. Good.

I arrive at home from shopping with my mom, and, Yipee! there it is sitting in the mailbox. I open it up, and then right after, the package from NCIX comes. I was happy since I found out that the card is from Japan. I load up some games and homebrew (yay, lemmings) on it, pop it in, and start playing Pokemon Diamond. Oh noes, the game freezes. No biggy, probably something with the initial launch. I reboot the DS only to find out that it displays "There is no DS Card inserted". Reboot a couple of times, and it works. After a couple of days, I get pretty annoyed and go check out the Team Cyclops forum. I later find out that many people have the same problem, and Team Cyclops replaces them for free. OK, I'll return it. 4 days later (after a trip to NYC), there it is in the mailbox. Good.

So I pop it in the DS, and it works! I play Pokemon for like 5 hours straight for 2 days. Next morning I wake up, and my sister wants to play. She turns on her DS phat and plays for a while. Game freezes then after a reboot, "There is no DS Card inserted". NO! What the fuck?. Today, I PM Team Cyclops and they reply:

Sweet, a free 2GB card. My parents think that my sister's DS fucks up the card, and with her hundreds of dollars, she goes buy herself a new DS Lite (pink, eww) with 100$ from my parents. She wanted a new one cause that DS phat is practically DESTROYED, scratches everywhere, badly broken hinge, etc etc.

Team Cyclops has the best customer service out of all the DS card brands. They have excellent support.
    And here I am today, waiting for my replacement. I'll post updates here.

EDIT: They told me the card was going to be a Sandisk 2GB microSD.
    EDIT 2: Look what I got in the mail today!
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Team Cyclops!

2. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    Sweet, this is a great story

Nice to see that the Cyclo team is so helpful

3. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Unlikely that your sisters DS stuffed up the card. Some cards were just manufactured to inappropriate standards and they aren't checked for malfunctions. Whats wrong with pink?

4. Salamantis
    OP

Canada
    Iunno, I just hate it. And how exactly is that a great story?

5. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    It is because the team was so helpful. It brings tears to his eyes. They also replaced mine, but it was just an ordinary story [​IMG]

6. Bridgy84

Member Bridgy84 Yub Nub

United States
    A story like this makes me think a CycloDS is the card i need for my slot 1 fix.

7. TeraS

Member TeraS GBAtemp Regular

Team Cyclops has the best customer service outta all the slot1 brands

8. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    You are really unlucky... [​IMG]

Yeah they have a great customer service they answer me in a day and replace my faulty card the day after but with no extra flash card since i buy it directly from a shop in june [​IMG].

It is a great card anyway and it works fast and fine since the replacement. Just to let you know some faulty cards can work on some different DS. Perhaps will your second card just work with your sister new DS.
    On the other hand the guys in the shop where i buy mine were testing cards before shipping on their own DS and sometimes they've got report from customers about faulty device anyway. At least it was a bad set.
    They are waiting now the new production for end of july.

9. Salamantis
    OP

Canada
    Seriously. They rock. And instead of some companies that would say "I'll send your product when we recieve yours", Team Cyclops says "Just send it." And they send it out the day you send it.

They truly deserve some kind of reward.

10. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i wonder if a european complained would they be that kind to them knowing the fact that it would cost a bit to send a replacement to the UK lol good service never the less, but it seems that the cyclo DS has the same problem as the R4DS after a while it doesn't get recognised until you take it out and put it back in a couple of times.

11. Salamantis
    OP

Canada
    I don't know much about the R4DS, but all I know is Team Cyclops' service is better than theirs for sure. And did it really also have that problem? Weird...

You could always go on their forums (teamcyclops.com/forum) and ask them would they pay for your shipping. I've heard from several people that they did in fact pay for it.

12. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Completely the opposite of Team DS-X. [​IMG]

13. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    yes, there has been a couple of topics from people who have had this problem with the R4DS i doubt they would pay for shipping, especially if it's international i would rather buy a new cyclo DS for the price they would charge me for to receive a replacement.

14. mcp2

Member mcp2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    They have in fact shipped replacements to the UK. They always pay for shipping both ways. They have the most superb customer services.

15. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    well thats impressive, ain't it.

16. Salamantis
    OP

Canada
    Didn't know that. I just don't like that I had 2 units like that. [​IMG] I want teh gamez.

17. wifi1

Newcomer wifi1 Member

United States
    All I can say is, the CycloDS team must be making bank if they can afford to have such great customer support. Or they're making bank because of that. Or both. Either way, I'm more and more tempted to get one now.

18. loathsome

Member loathsome GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    My friend had a bricked DS-X cart delivered to him, and five days later the DS-X team shipped out a new one to him. I've read lots of bad experiences with the DS-X team, but in my cases they're always helping me really good out.

19. SlCKB0Y

Member SlCKB0Y GBAtemp Regular

Australia

Or could it be that each unit costs almost nothing to make and they make an absolutely crazy profit margin?

Since when is getting 2 broken units a glowing endorsement for a company? Sure they replaced them, but of course they should. In plenty of countries it is illegal not to. The SD card is quite nice though.

20. Salamantis
    OP

Canada
    They just told me the card was going to be a Sandisk 2GB microSD. Yay [​IMG]