My CPS2 roms are running extremely slow on Retroarch 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Megariver, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Megariver
    OP

Megariver Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    I've recently installed Retroarch to my old 3ds xl, and I only use CPS2 core with 4 roms I downloaded.
    Three of them(Marvel vs. Capcom, Marvel Superheroes, and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters), run extremely slowly and display choppy audio. I know i'm supposed to configure the video settings manually, what I need to know are what settings to enable. Now about my fourth rom(Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter), it won't run at all... :hateit:
    I am currently using version 1.3.0, I appreciate all help!

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Are you running it the emulator through the homebrew launcher or cia?
    Homebrew launcher is going to be a lot slower due to the limited resources in userland.

It also doesn't help that you are running it on an old3DS, which is just slow and crap.

3. Megariver
    OP

Megariver Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    I've been running it through the Homebrew Launcher.
    What's cia?

4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    A .cia is the installable format for the 3ds. Chances are if you don't know what it is, you are on 11.3 which can't install them at all.
    If you are on 11.2 or below, you can get cfw which can be used to install .cia using 3ds.guide

5. Megariver
    OP

Megariver Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    Well...is there any way to configure the video settings in any way to make the roms run at least a little closer to normal?
    Because, that's what the troubleshooting informed me to do if I experienced this.

and yes I do have 11.3:sleep:

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

But in case there is no way to fix it for me, at least I still have all the roms working on my Wii!:yaywii:

6. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Not really. Try turning off sound?

You gotta use FBI to install the CIA.

7. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    If it's any consolation, @Megariver, there's some heavy misinformation going around in here and running the CPS-2 emulator via CIA probably wouldn't have any impact on performance vs. as 3dsx. The main reason why a handful--and only a handful--of emulators perform better as CIAs is due to being able to run dynamic recompilers, which is a thing that's not really worth explaining for your purposes. Suffice it to say it's a faster way to emulate things, but also more complicated (and in some cases, not possible at all) when running via the Homebrew Launcher. However, the most important point here is that Retroarch's Final Burn Alpha CPS-2 emulator doesn't have a dynarec at all, so there's nothing you're missing out on, anyway.

In short, as discussed above, an original 3DS just doesn't have the oomph to run this emulator at full speed. Running this emulator as a 3dsx or CIA will result in roughly identical performance. CIAs aren't some magical cure-all that resolve slowdown.

8. Megariver
    OP

Megariver Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2016
    United States
    Hmmmm...
    Well thanks to all who gave me good help and information, I turned off the sound like you said Heran Bago, and I must admit the roms work at least 75% speed now, so thanks for the tip! In conclusion, I'll keep them installed for now.
    Once again, thank you all for your time!