My computer's dead!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Digeman, Jan 21, 2007.

Jan 21, 2007

My computer's dead! by Digeman at 6:14 PM (1,784 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Digeman
    OP

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Hey guys! Well my computer isn't actually dead but something is dead wrong with it! [​IMG] (not this one my other one). Well anyways i haven't done anything speciell with it...just played some games, listened to some music and such. I turned it of as i always do (go to start and press turn off computer xD) and when i try to turn it back on just a couple of hours later it won't start. Now normally it just makes a quick beep when it starts but now it's like..it makes one long beep and then two fast ones...like "beeeeeep, beebeep" uhm...you get teh point [​IMG] Anyways i raelly wanna know what's wrong so that i can fix it....or let someone fix it as fast as possible [​IMG] Please help, i'de be evert so grateful! :'(

2. djgarf

Former Staff djgarf I Am A Raver

United Kingdom
    if you know the motherboard/bios that is in the pc try going to the makers website or search google for the error codes (the beeping is a audio error code of what is going wrong)

3. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Hmmm i think i have a list of what the mother board is....thanks for the help! [​IMG] If you've got any more info please share [​IMG]

4. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
  5. djgarf

Former Staff djgarf I Am A Raver

United Kingdom
    ok do u have a on board graphics chip or a graphics card in your pc?

6. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Run away because your PC is about to ASPLODE

- Sam

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The sounds it err sound like an initialisation error (keyboard not plugged in, leads loose etc): check connections on everything (pull them off and reinsert them). You might also want to reset the options in the bios (there is sometimes a jumper/switch other times you will have to yank the battery) and then redo all the options.

Just an aside I have also been called by various people with a spate of bad power supplies lately (no brand in paticular just a lot of them) that seem to die a little more with each powering (the fan turning is a good one to tell this).

If that does not help then it is proper testing time, I hope you have access to another machine you can pull bits from and put bits into to test.

8. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Uhm I have no idea.... [​IMG] if you tell me how to check i could open the computer and have a look [​IMG]

9. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

I'd recommend opening your computer and reassuring everythings plugged in firmly (cpu/memory, pci cards, graphics card...) if you know your way around the insides of the pc. If you don't, let someone else who does check.

10. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Call local PC shops (not Geek Squad, local places) and ask if they have a PCI POST tester -- it's a card that'll tell you what's wrong. They'll usually plug that in for free, at least in my experience.

Three beeps like that is usually video, memory, or a loose connection. Try unplugging everything out of the back and plugging it all back in. If you're comfortable going inside the box, open the side, and push on every connection to make sure it's all the way in there, specifically the RAM sticks.

If it's still doing it, try clearing your BIOS. Your motherboard manual should have a section on how to do that. If that fails, take it to a computer shop unless you have parts to start swapping out.

11. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Um, isn't it a bad idea to go anywhere near RAM sticks without being earthed / taking anti-static precautions? [​IMG] (just thought I'd mention it cause the OP has no experience of the internals of computers and no-one else has brought it up yet)

12. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    That is definitely a video card beep. The card is probably not entirely seated in the PCI (or AGP..etc) slot. It probably got pulled out abit from the monitor plug. Open the PC and push it in tight.

13. ajjav924

Member ajjav924 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    that happened to a friend of mine. he just pushed the video card in.